Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Haris Vuckic
Then, again, this is the sort of incident Barton has escaped from without punishment on numerous occasions.

Name one.

Then, again, this is the sort of incident Barton has escaped from without punishment on numerous occasions.

Name one.

The very thought that the powers that be would allow Barton to get away with something like that. :lol:

When you actively try to publically humiliate journalists (on Twitter or wherever) then you're going to have to put up with the consequences. They stick together and can rubbish him as much as they like because they're all mates and they're all cunts.

Football journalists are the absolute lowest of the low. Wanting to be one should tell you everything you need to know about who you're dealing with. Utter scum - all of them, without exception. 

When you actively try to publically humiliate journalists (on Twitter or wherever) then you're going to have to put up with the consequences. They stick together and can rubbish him as much as they like because they're all mates and they're all c***s.

Football journalists are the absolute lowest of the low. Wanting to be one should tell you everything you need to know about who you're dealing with. Utter scum - all of them, without exception. 

cough err nixon err cough splutter

Guest Heneage

When you actively try to publically humiliate journalists (on Twitter or wherever) then you're going to have to put up with the consequences. They stick together and can rubbish him as much as they like because they're all mates and they're all c***s.

Sid Lowe? Gabriel Marcotti?

cough err nixon err cough splutter

Couldn't possibly comment...

Another point that I've not heard made is that when Gervinho lost the ball, Joey was in a very good position to start and / or support a counter attack. Instead, he turned his back on the ball and confronted Gervinho. It was like his grievance with his opponent was more important than helping his team to win the game.

Several times over the last few months, he seems to have lost the plot.

Agree, totally lost the plot, and I thought he was also going to get a red card, massive sigh when he didn't...

He was very influential in the game and was probably MOM material with Colo. He will cost us a match or two this season due to his stupidity/red mist but he will also most probably influence more than his fair share in helping to win them...

Another point that I've not heard made is that when Gervinho lost the ball, Joey was in a very good position to start and / or support a counter attack. Instead, he turned his back on the ball and confronted Gervinho. It was like his grievance with his opponent was more important than helping his team to win the game.

Regarding that, the ball was still in play when Joey Barton picked him up by the shirt and dragged him several yards inside the penalty box. Shouldn´t Arsenal have gotten a penalty out of that?

Regarding that, the ball was still in play when Joey Barton picked him up by the shirt and dragged him several yards inside the penalty box. Shouldn´t Arsenal have gotten a penalty out of that?

Ummm..... I can't see any reason why not. If Joey was booked for manhandling Gervinho, then it was a foul and therefore a pen. Interesting.

Guest bondedcrown

Have a look at any game how many times is a foul committed in the box at a corner for instance? Plus the ref had to have seen it to give it!Football has a huge problem with cheating . On the subject of gervinho it was a dive he's already going down when tiote goes towards him then he kicks his foot onto tiote's to exaggerate the so called collision! Finally who saw gervinhos dive when going past Taylor in the first half? Check the footage there is clear space between the two and he still went down like a sack o taties to win a free kick!

Have a look at any game how many times is a foul committed in the box at a corner for instance? Plus the ref had to have seen it to give it!Football has a huge problem with cheating . On the subject of gervinho it was a dive he's already going down when tiote goes towards him then he kicks his foot onto tiote's to exaggerate the so called collision! Finally who saw gervinhos dive when going past Taylor in the first half? Check the footage there is clear space between the two and he still went down like a sack o taties to win a free kick!

Arsenal were at it all game. Sanga went down on the other side of the box about three paces after he'd got past Jonas and Walton still gave it.

Still not cheating, there was conact, he reacted. Not cheating.

If there was no contact and he dropped like he'd been hit with a bat, the yeah, that would be cheating.

It is cheating like. It's exactly like feigning and injury or taking a dive. Just because there was contact, it doesnt mean Barton throwing himself to the ground isnt cheating. By your logic, if a player goes down after minimal contact, it's not taking a dive, it's not simulation.

I think the difference is Gervinho cheated by purposely trying to get a penalty when he didn't deserve one. Barton on the other hand over exaggerated the situation to ensure that Gervinho got the red card he did deserve.

Undeniably. Conning the ref has got absolutely f*** all to do with it - it's just so far away from the point it's untrue. Gervinho's actions, a million per cent, deserved a red card, whether Joey goes down or not.

It brings up another question, too. If the ref had seen that it wasn't a foul (demonstrated by the play-on) - why wasn't the guy reprimanded for diving? All in all, it would have been a crazy injustice had Gervinho finished the match. Barton just made sure of it; well played lad.

Conning the ref has everything to do with it. If Barton hadnt threw himself to the floor would Gervinho have been sent off? Debatable. Yes, Gervinho raised his hand, yes he deserved to go, but for me you cant deny Barton helped the ref make up his mind.

I do Like Barton. He's a good player and integral part of the team for me. Think he gets too much stick for his comments at times but he cheated like, without a doubt.

If he's helping the ref come to the correct decision I've absolutely no problem with it, in fact I'd probably encourage it. It's only if he was trying to con the ref into making the wrong decision that I'd take exception.

Couldn't have put it better, i agree entirely.

Zaius, if Barton's helping the ref come to the correct decision - how the hell is he 'conning' him? Dunno what planet you're on.

Novocastrian, 'ruining the game' ffs. Players getting away with raising their hands to others' faces is more likely to bring the game into disrepute, like.

Gervinho 'raised his hands' which is a sending off offence = he was sent off.

Barton's histrionics contributed to Gervinho's sending off, he 'helped the referee make the correct decision'. I think Gervinho was so shocked to be grabbed by Barton that his first reaction was to confront him and try and strike him. If he had of dropped  to the floor himself and 'exaggerated' the movement Barton would have been sent off.

Now, if you are happy with our players 'helping the referee' make decisions by gamesmanship, then fair enough. As long as you realise that other players will/have done the same to us. If you believe it is 'part and parcel' of the modern game and players should exploit any advantage, including getting opposition players sent off, then that is your prerogative.

For me, the sight of grown men grabbing their face and falling over at the slightest touch is embarassing and it is cheating. Players diving and rolling around on the ground make the referees job harder and often ruin the spectacle of the game (although I admit the controversy generated by these incidents is strangely compelling).

So, I stand by what I said, gamesmanship (cheating-lite for want of a better word), diving, feigning injury and grown men waving imaginary cards and trying to get fellow professionals sent off is ruining the game, in my opinion.  :dave:

Probably already been mentioned, but Gervinho also dived and got a free kick in the first half.  Raylor never touched him, right in front of the lineo as well.

Yeah, was going to mention that as well. Hopefully he's going to be doing this every week and Barton will get some backdated praise for his actions. Diving is a very serious "crime" and the more high profile players like Barton actively make a stand against it, the better.

The Sagna one was ridiculous. I'd be raging if I was Wenger, he was f***ing through.

It was class. Can't believe he carried on going and then just collapsed in a heap :lol:

Guest johnson293

Name one.

The very thought that the powers that be would allow Barton to get away with something like that. :lol:

Exactly - just like Wolves away, last season.

Barton kicked all over the pitch (in the main by Karl Henry) with very few decisions given, yet first foul he (Barton) made in the match, he got booked.