Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

:lol:

Stoke defender Danny Higginbotham has revealed he and his team-mates would welcome a move for Newcastle's Joey Barton.

The controversial midfielder was made available on a free transfer by the north-east club earlier this month after publically criticising the board via Twitter.

The Potters, along with the likes of Spurs, Everton and West Ham, have all since been linked with a move for Barton, who only has a year left on his St James' Park contract.

Despite the fall-out the 27-year-old started Newcastle's opening game of the season against Arsenal last weekend but found himself centre of attention again after an altercation with Gunners striker Gervinho.

The former Manchester City midfielder also played in Saturday's Tyne-Wear derby win at Sunderland but remains on the transfer list, and Higginbotham believes he would be a welcome addition to the ranks at the Britannia Stadium.

"I don't know about the manager's plans but I do know that Joey Barton is a very good player," Higginbotham told the People.

"People say you should not take things into your own hands - but I know Joey is one of those players who is awful to play against because he is always in the thick of it.

"Joey is a good player and he is what he is. I think if you took that away from him, he wouldn't be the player he is.

"I don't know whether he is coming here but he is a good player - and every club wants good players."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7115858,00.html

Guest johnson293

Have to say, when the whole contract thing blew up, and the subsequent tweeting, I was on the side of the club, and wouldnlt have minded either way whether he left or saw out his final year - seemed more trouble than he was worth.

However, after these first two games, and all that's gone on, i'd be gutted if he left us this season.

While I still dont advocate the stupid long contracts for older players, I'd love to think the club would be prepared to sit down and try and work something out with him, and see if an extension can be agreed.

SSN's scrolling news thing says QPR want him.

Warnock said he reckoned they'd get four or five players by the end of the window. Just can't see one of them being Barton though. Would be horrible.

I may be getting a bit optimistic here, but I would hope one of those players is one of our shitty expendables. Thought the same last night.

Get some Premiership experience in Neil. Get Alan Smith. Or James Perch. Why not go crazy and get both?

Warnock said he reckoned they'd get four or five players by the end of the window. Just can't see one of them being Barton though. Would be horrible.

I may be getting a bit optimistic here, but I would hope one of those players is one of our shitty expendables. Thought the same last night.

Get some Premiership experience in Neil. Get Alan Smith. Or James Perch. Why not go crazy and get both?

and Lovenkrands.

Stick in Lovepants in a three for the price of two (likely to be £zero tbh) and we are away......

and Lovenkrands.

C*nt - beat me to it  :lol:

Barton very close to QPR, anyone heard about this?

Please god, no.

We really do need him around this season.

What are the chances of him actually going there do you reckon? He did say that he wouldn't leave here unless it was to a Champions League club.

Barton very close to QPR, anyone heard about this?

Please god, no.

We really do need him around this season.

What are the chances of him actually going there do you reckon? He did say that he wouldn't leave here unless it was to a Champions League club.

No idea, just saw somebody wrote that skysports has reported that a deal was very close... but since there's nothing new in here I doubt it's true...

Even though I didn't like his tweets against the club, I think he's shown he can be an asset to the club. It will be interesting to see if we can get to September 1st with him still at the club. I think there may well be a chance we could sort out his contract then, especially if he keeps on playing well.

Can't see QPR turning his head, it's hardly the best career move for him is it? I think he'd prefer to spend the season up here and either sign a new deal or go on a Bosman.

That said, the club have put him on the list for a free transfer so he's in the same position as a Bosman now.

I don't think he'd go there, unless we've decided to push him out which doesn't tally with the first two games at all.

We're still trying to push him out. In the end we could have removed him from the transfer list.