Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

• 3 weeks later...
BBC

John Terry's FA punishment a shambles, says Joey Barton

QPR midfielder Joey Barton has called the Football Association's punishment of John Terry a "shambles".

The Chelsea captain received a four-match ban and was fined £220,000 for racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

Barton, on loan at Marseille, is serving a 12-match domestic suspension for violent conduct.

"What an absolute farce. Twelve games for violent conduct and only four for that. [The] FA should be embarrassed. #Shambles," Barton tweeted.

Barton, who played in the match on 23 October 2011 in which the incident between Terry and Ferdinand occurred, added: "By the FA's perverse reckoning, I'd [have] got less of a ban for racially abusing the Man City players than tickling them as I did.

"In what circumstances can that be right?"

Guest Howaythetoon

He is right in a twisted kind of way.

What gets me, if Terry said what he did to Ferdinand while sat in row Z, he'd be banned for life. I think any player caught using racist language or racially abusing someone should get a 12 month ban at least.

Isn't the severity of Barton's ban a cummulitive effect from being warned for years about being a dick though.

he has been dealt with on those occasions, it should not make any difference to any future punishment.

I'm sure that the last time he got a long ban he was warned about his future conduct after years of acting like the twat he is.

Isn't the severity of Barton's ban a cummulitive effect from being warned for years about being a dick though.

he has been dealt with on those occasions, it should not make any difference to any future punishment.

I'm sure that the last time he got a long ban he was warned about his future conduct after years of acting like the t*** he is.

which does not mean each offence should not be dealt with at face value.

I'm sure that the last time he got a long ban he was warned about his future conduct after years of acting like the t*** he is.

But if you get warned to stop acting up or you will be in real bother next time,  get yourself sent off for violent conduct and then try and start three fights on the way off the field then you should pretty much expect to get the proverbial book thrown at you and not cry in indignation that the next guy didn't get as long a ban as you.

But if you get warned to stop acting up or you will be in real bother next time,  get yourself sent off for violent conduct and then try and start three fights on the way off the field then you should pretty much expect to get the proverbial book thrown at you and not cry in indignation that the next guy didn't get as long a ban as you.

is this a game where you keep prompting me with the same information and i have to answer in a hundred different ways?

He's right though.

Not really. I'd rather be racially abused than assaulted.

He hardly knocked the other player out. We've seen violent conduct loads of times and the ban hasn't been anywhere near 12 games.

He already had had a red card earlier in the season, which means his first straight red for violent conduct is a four game ban. Then he gets himself another violent conduct seconds after, which technically could be his second red card that game, and should be a five game ban, and then he tries to start several fights on his way out from the pitch, which I assume is where the other three games comes in to it. If anything, he was lucky to get away with 12.

The question should surely be why Suarez got twice as many games as Terry, not why Barton got the punishment he did?

If someone keeps doing something wrong eventually they are going to get a heavy punishment.

He's right though.

Not really. I'd rather be racially abused than assaulted.

He hardly knocked the other player out. We've seen violent conduct loads of times and the ban hasn't been anywhere near 12 games.

He already had had a red card earlier in the season, which means his first straight red for violent conduct is a four game ban. Then he gets himself another violent conduct seconds after, which technically could be his second red card that game, and should be a five game ban, and then he tries to start several fights on his way out from the pitch, which I assume is where the other three games comes in to it. If anything, he was lucky to get away with 12.

The question should surely be why Suarez got twice as many games as Terry, not why Barton got the punishment he did?

The Fa's judgment made specific reference to suarez being given an 8 game ban for repeated racial abuse (IIRC it was a 4 match ban that was specifically doubled to reflect the repetition). At the time I felt like this was the FA preparing themselves for potentially having to ban the England Captain rather than a hard stance on racism. May be cynical but anyway, as Malcom X once said 'Chickens coming home to roost never made me sad, Chickens coming home to roost always made me glad.'

*average English fan*

"yeah but if you took that agressive racist side away from Terry, he wouldnt be half the player he is" - take away the racist part, that is the usual line rattled out about Rooney, Clattermole and even Joey himself earlier in his career. Have Terry's people tried to use it as an excuse? like heat of the moment kind of thing?