Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

His defense was intelligently disruptive. Clearly his teammates looked to him to provide stability; he was supremely calm throughout, a Geordie Xavi.

I like that. It didn't go down too well with Wullie in the other thread but I still feel a Tiote/Barton midfield combination could work very well. They already have a good understanding with Barton playing wide but if you could get a Bentley type on the right and a mobile forward in front, I think Barton could provide plenty of ammunition.

His defense was intelligently disruptive. Clearly his teammates looked to him to provide stability; he was supremely calm throughout, a Geordie Xavi.

I like that. It didn't go down too well with Wullie in the other thread but I still feel a Tiote/Barton midfield combination could work very well. They already have a good understanding with Barton playing wide but if you could get a Bentley type on the right and a mobile forward in front, I think Barton could provide plenty of ammunition.

But that would mean shafting Nolan, and cutting our nose off to spite our face. The Tiote/Nolan/Barton thing works an absolute treat and it's needless changing it.

But that would mean shafting Nolan, and cutting our nose off to spite our face. The Tiote/Nolan/Barton thing works an absolute treat and it's needless changing it.

It works but it will be interesting to see how that midfield matches up against Spurs this weekend.

When HBA gets back we will have a good 4 instead of a good 3 plus 1 average

Once we are settled and start to push on, I'd like to think we'd look for a replacement for Nolan because he's the quite sizeable weak link in a midfield four of Barton  Nolan  Tiote  HBA.

Once we are settled and start to push on, I'd like to think we'd look for a replacement for Nolan because he's the quite sizeable weak link in a midfield four of Barton  Nolan  Tiote  HBA.

Same here and that is what I was getting at. He's done brilliantly this season but if we want to get back to the sort of team which is looking at Europe then we need a midfielder who is more mobile. Just look at the difference Tiote has made with his energy and control.

Guest Roger Kint

Agree, he is good enough for the next 18 months though as we build on the more pressing areas. Would love to see a more mobile player eventually.

Agree, he is good enough for the next 18 months though as we build on the more pressing areas. Would love to see a more mobile player eventually.

This. We certainly shouldn't be in a hurry to replace him as his leadership and goalscoring qualities and invaluable to us at the moment, when the rest of the squad is looking stronger (probably another CB, LW and ST being the main positions that need addressing), then we should be looking for a younger, more energetic player to fill his role. Hopefully, if we signed those players the CB would have the leadership qualities that would be missed without Nolan in the side.

:sadnod:

That should be a happy nod really, while we're waiting for a replacement Nolan will be happily playing in that midfield and getting 10 goals a season to boot.

It was a nod of agreement, I don't particularly pay attention to the name of smileys :lol:

That should be a happy nod really, while we're waiting for a replacement Nolan will be happily playing in that midfield and getting 10 goals a season to boot.

We have decent options in midfield tbh, not only Nolan and Barton but Gosling as well if he turns out to be any good. Other areas are far higher priority.

Don't blame him one bit for that pass. He's the glue to our midfield and a fantastic footballer.

I do, it was woeful. Same as one he made a couple of minutes earlier that they nearly scored from.

If Guthrie or Smith had made either of those passes people would be going fucking mental, they were tripe. Barton needs to play on the right where he can try things and get away with them if they don't come off.

Guest firetotheworks

A really poor, but fortunately rare mistake. It would be bad, but when they have men over, it's catastrophic.

Don't blame him one bit for that pass. He's the glue to our midfield and a fantastic footballer.

I blame him, but I don't hold it against him, he's been fantastic this season so he's earned some leeway.