Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Why should he take a cut?  ???

Because he knows that nobody will give him the same contract that he has today, and i really think he loves playing for us.

Yeah, I didn't mean like that, sorry I wasn't very clear. Why is the club asking him to?

Completely difference circumstances to when he signed his current contract? He came here for £6m, aged 24 and looking like having the potential to move on to being a part of the national team. Since the he's been locked up and will be knocking on 30 by the time his contract is up. He's not going to move to anyone better and I doubt anyone will give him what he's currently on.

Guest toonlass

He shouldn't have to. But he has said on several occasions that he feels he owes us something for standing by him when he got into bother and he's also reported as saying he wants to end his career here. If it's true then it's a great gesture on his part.

Because he knows that nobody will give him the same contract that he has today, and i really think he loves playing for us.

Yeah, I didn't mean like that, sorry I wasn't very clear. Why is the club asking him to?

Our rumoured wage cap is £50k a week, he'll be on more than that. If he wants a new contract, he's going to have to take a wage cut.

Makes sense I guess. Bit shit for him like...

I don't think he'll have any problems with taking a wage cut at all, tbh.

Aye. I used to hate him, even when he played for us I just thought he was a scummy, indisciplined little cretin. However, he seems to have turned his antics off the pitch around, and has began playing awesome so providing he doesn't do too many daft things like punch Gamst Pederson he will remain one of my favourite players at Newcastle.

At the game whenever anything is given against him I'm just resigned to saying well it's Joey Barton isn't it. He gets f*** all from the referees now but I guess that's through his own doing.

EDIT: I feel like I asked a totally retarded question before, given the mass response. Thanks anyhoo.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He would probably get what he does now at villa or Blackburn, both of which could be potential suitors

I think he's really settled here and the fact that he still got paid a he'll of a lot whilst being out injured or inside means from a romantic point of view he owes us.

He would probably get what he does now at villa or Blackburn, both of which could be potential suitors

I think he's really settled here and the fact that he still got paid a he'll of a lot whilst being out injured or inside means from a romantic point of view he owes us.

I doubt Villa would give him a long term deal, especially at the wages he's on. As for Blackburn, well they're a bit of joke with their new owners at the minute.

I doubt Villa would give him a long term deal, especially at the wages he's on. As for Blackburn, well they're a bit of joke with their new owners at the minute.

£50,000 a week and a lifetime supply of his favourite Patak's sauce.

He should be taking a pay cut like.

For what he's offered us in every other season leading up to this, he's been paid over the top for providing absolutely nothing. He's playing brilliantly this season, but he arguably owes us (which he's admitted himself recently) for what was a poor start to his career here.

Off tandem but he's still much more efficient for us while on the right rather than in the middle...

Seems to loiter on the ball a lot more in the middle and lose more possession (has more of it aswell I suopose...)

Wouldn't be surprised if he realises that getting his life straight off the pitch is almost priceless, too. What with the team spirit and this girlfriend of his, it seems he's more settled here than he's been probably since he was a child, if not his whole life, so moving could (though hopefully wouldn't) put that at risk. Not that the Board should take the piss, but there should be a deal that suits everybody.

He shouldn't have to. But he has said on several occasions that he feels he owes us something for standing by him when he got into bother and he's also reported as saying he wants to end his career here. If it's true then it's a great gesture on his part.

:clap: Totally agree

Fantastic news if he signs up as well, and hats off to him taking a cut, 99.9% of footballers wouldn't do it and I'm delighted for him. Hopefully some recognition of the good side of Barton from the press and others outside Newcastle will follow.

He's totally turned it around, can't quite believe it but happy he has.

Guest neesy111

He's been at the club for 3 1/2 seasons and only for the last 6 months has looked good / been available.  Still owes the club a lot as well for not sacking him for when he went to prison.

Fantastic news if he signs up as well, and hats off to him taking a cut, 99.9% of footballers wouldn't do it and I'm delighted for him. Hopefully some recognition of the good side of Barton from the press and others outside Newcastle will follow.

He's totally turned it around, can't quite believe it but happy he has.

Thing is he wouldn't get anything near the reported wages anywhere else so it was take a cut or move on somewhere where he would probably be offered the reduced wages we were offering anyway, even if he went on a free.

Guest toonlass

He's been at the club for 3 1/2 seasons and only for the last 6 months has looked good / been available.  Still owes the club a lot as well for not sacking him for when he went to prison.

He acknowledges that though.

It may be wishful thinking but you would hope this would set an example to the high earners in the squad regarding wages (if he does infact take a paycut).

Howay Jose and Colo, sign up at £50k for another 4 years.

tbh, Jose has been good, consistent and professional throughout his time here. If anybody deserves a pay rise, it's him and it'd make sense to make him our highest earner.

It may be wishful thinking but you would hope this would set an example to the high earners in the squad regarding wages (if he does infact take a paycut).

Howay Jose and Colo, sign up at £50k for another 4 years.

tbh, Jose has been good, consistent and professional throughout his time here. If anybody deserves a pay rise, it's him and it'd make sense to make him our highest earner.

I agree. Didn't think he was on such high wages now though?