Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

On Gosling being a better footballer than him. Gosling for Everton 2009-10 was better than Guthrie for us in the Premier League.

Gosling has been out for a year with a cruciate ligament injury, there is absolutely no way you can just assume he will come back the exact same footballer he was in 2009-10. I'm not saying he will or won't, but snapping your ACL is a bitch of an injury and its not so simple to recover from.

You could say that about anyone then. If we'd signed Chris Smalling last summer would he still be behind Taylor & Williamson in the pecking order on the basis he hardly started in the Premier League for Fulham?

Smalling clearly has/had obvious talent. I'm not saying Gosling is rubbish, I just don't think it's fair to just assume he's any better than Guthrie. We got him because he was free, not because we needed him.

Fair enough but I bet if Pardew has a pecking order in that area at the moment it'd look

Tiote

Cabaye

Gosling

Guthrie

Actually as it stands he'd probably have Barton as number 3 there.

I have to agree, although we don't know how Gosling will return, i'd take his glimpses of quality and potential at Everton over Danny Guthrie's whole career at the toon in the Premiership!

Guest firetotheworks

He was one of the main reasons why the CCC season was so easy towards the end, but then so was Routledge and he's not good enough anymore, either. I think that's both of their levels.

He was one of the main reasons why the CCC season was so easy towards the end, but then so was Routledge and he's not good enough anymore, either. I think that's both of their levels.

Really ?

With the exception of the West Brom away debacle I thought Guthrie looked very comfortable in every game he played at PL level.

No world beater, but solid squad material imo.

I'm in the opinion that Guthrie needs to leave the club. He's been very erratic for us in the premiership and simply not up to standard anymore. He'd do well at a Championship club, so hopefully we'll let him go so he can get plenty more games.

Time to move on Danny :)

Guest firetotheworks

Really ?

With the exception of the West Brom away debacle I thought Guthrie looked very comfortable in every game he played at PL level.

Well, he's PL level in terms of performing, but he's either below the level we need to be, or he's not playing at his optimum. I've stuck up for him a lot, because in the CCC season he was excellent. Even when we were unbalanced with him on the right, his assists were consistent and then when he moved into the middle with Routledge on the right he was even better.

At this level (hate saying that) though he's too lightweight defensively and not commanding enough with the ball imo. I like him, he has a lot of qualities, particularly his long passing, but he hasn't stepped up to the level we need him to be at. I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed or went tbh.

Really ?

Well, he's PL level in terms of performing, but he's either below the level we need to be, or he's not playing at his optimum. I've stuck up for him a lot, because in the CCC season he was excellent. Even when we were unbalanced with him on the right, his assists were consistent and then when he moved into the middle with Routledge on the right he was even better.

At this level (hate saying that) though he's too lightweight defensively and not commanding enough with the ball imo. I like him, he has a lot of qualities, particularly his long passing, but he hasn't stepped up to the level we need him to be at. I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed or went tbh.

Pretty much agree, but to replace him (as a squad member) would probably cost more and introduce a level of risk.

Overall I'd be happy for him to stay as a reliable back up squad player - he did alright when called upon at the end of last season - but would understand it if he was looking to play more regularly elsewhere.

I think Guthrie's main problem is that he wants too much time on the ball; in the championship he was allowed the freedom to hold on to it for longer and pick a pass, but in the premiership you just don't get that luxury (as we've found out to our cost, West Brom being a perfect example).

That said, I think he did well in the Wolves home game, but against teams like that he should be comfortable.

Pretty much agree, but to replace him (as a squad member) would probably cost more and introduce a level of risk.

Overall I'd be happy for him to stay as a reliable back up squad player - he did alright when called upon at the end of last season - but would understand it if he was looking to play more regularly elsewhere.

After the West Brom away game, I wanted never to see this guy don our colours ever again, that was perhaps the worst single midfield performance I have ever seen. He has since redeemed himself a little but if we get a 1-2 million offer for him we should snatch someone's hands off, he's Championship/low PL standard at best and hopefully we are aiming higher than that, we have enough cover in the middle already and are still apparently looking at players who can play there. 

After the West Brom away game, I wanted never to see this guy don our colours ever again, that was perhaps the worst single midfield performance I have ever seen. He has since redeemed himself a little but if we get a 1-2 million offer for him we should snatch someone's hands off, he's Championship/low PL standard at best and hopefully we are aiming higher than that, we have enough cover in the middle already and are still apparently looking at players who can play there. 

I think that one horrendous error might be clouding your judgment a little on how Guthrie played that day and how rubbish we are as a whole during the match.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Would be decent to get him sold. It's alright saying he's 'fine as backup', but we really need better players than Guthrie. He's got very little to his game at this level.

Guest neesy111

Gosling has already shown more during his everton days than Guthrie in his footballing career.  Guthrie is just way out of depth in premiership and him constantly playing contributed to our relegation season.

Gosling has already shown more during his everton days than Guthrie in his footballing career.  Guthrie is just way out of depth in premiership and him constantly playing contributed to our relegation season.

Don't agree he's way out of his depth, he's just average. There were many more expensive and experienced players who contributed much more to our relegation IMO.

I think that one horrendous error might be clouding your judgment a little on how Guthrie played that day and how rubbish we are as a whole during the match.

No that was just the icing on the top of a very bad cake, his all round performance not just that incident you refer to was atrocious. Yes the whole team had an off day, but he stood out like a sore thumb. If you get a chance to watch that whole game over again you'll see where I'm coming from.

I'll admit that that was not his norm for us, but it was the extreme of what is I would liken to a cross between Hugo Viana and Jermaine Jenas, someone who has some talent, but no fight and you are not exactly sure if he's an attacking midfielder or a defensive one. I just think we can find someone with a little more to offer to back up the midfield. Don't forget Guthrie will be on a decent wedge too, not huge but more than his worth right now as his stock was higher when we bought him and those were in pre-tighten your wallets days. 

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

That West Brom was always going to be a bad one for him. Having to be the attacking player next to Tiote, he simply cannot do it. No surprise we struggled to break out of our own half.