Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I always thought Guthrie was a decent squad player, but I was really surprised by the quality of his performance last night. Looks like he might be working hard on his strength and athleticism as well, which is the main thing that held him back in the past.

Wow, how 1 game can change people's opinions. Almost in the completely other way than that match against WBA, Hughton's last.

Some people still let that WBA game cloud their judgement about Guthrie. My mate says that he can't really forgive Guthrie for that slip because it essentially cost Hughton his job.

I still rate the lad and his performance last night just shows that he is pretty reliable.

Wow, how 1 game can change people's opinions. Almost in the completely other way than that match against WBA, Hughton's last.

Some people still let that WBA game cloud their judgement about Guthrie. My mate says that he can't really forgive Guthrie for that slip because it essentially cost Hughton his job.

I still rate the lad and his performance last night just shows that he is pretty reliable.

What a naive, narrow minded view from your mate, his days were clearly numbered anyway and we deserved a pasting that day, the entire team were embarrassing. 

What a naive, narrow minded view from your mate, his days were clearly numbered anyway and we deserved a pasting that day, the entire team were embarrassing. 

Indeed Nate, I'm trying to set him straight. He does give Guthrie credit when it's due but he's still standing by that "Guthrie cost Hughton his job" thing. I'm sure in time, he'll let that go.

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought he played really well last night, good range of passing, sat and protected and had a generally good game. Still looks sluggish mind. Probably the kind of player who needs to play every game for a few months to get to the right required level of fitness/stamina to play a full 90 minutes at full pelt.

I always thought Guthrie was a decent squad player, but I was really surprised by the quality of his performance last night. Looks like he might be working hard on his strength and athleticism as well, which is the main thing that held him back in the past.

Pardew spoke about changing Steven Taylor's training to make him less top-heavy, perhaps he's also been giving Guthrie additional conditioning sessions or something? Wouldn't surprise me.

Still looked as podgy as normal to me. :lol:

I meant training that would help him to be effective in a game for more than about 60 minutes, because that's when he quite clearly used to wane and need subbing. Conditioning might not even be the right word for that, actually. The Taylor thing was just an example of how Pardew has shown he tailors (no pun intended) training programmes to alter deficiencies in each player's game.