Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It doesn't matter if you're the best or worst midfielder at the club, if you lose 50/50 challenges and keep conceding possession you are hardly advertising your credentials to play central midfield where the action is usually the hardest contested.

Aye because Nolan and Smith are outdoing him in that department like :thup:

What's that got to do with him losing 50/50's or keeping possession?

Nothing, but you're suggesting that he shouldn't play in CM because of that, when he still keeps possession and wins 50/50s more than the other CMs played ahead of him.

He should be an automatic starter there.

No, I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play in central midfield, I'm just saying that his crap performance today shouldn't be excused because he wasn't playing there. f***ing hell, if Pancrate can put in a shift at right back is it too much to ask Guthrie to bust a gut in midfield?

If you care to think back to before the last couple of games, you'd see that he was.

Sorry I thought we were talking about today's game.

It doesn't matter if you're the best or worst midfielder at the club, if you lose 50/50 challenges and keep conceding possession you are hardly advertising your credentials to play central midfield where the action is usually the hardest contested.

Aye because Nolan and Smith are outdoing him in that department like :thup:

What's that got to do with him losing 50/50's or keeping possession?

Nothing, but you're suggesting that he shouldn't play in CM because of that, when he still keeps possession and wins 50/50s more than the other CMs played ahead of him.

He should be an automatic starter there.

No, I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play in central midfield, I'm just saying that his crap performance today shouldn't be excused because he wasn't playing there. f***ing hell, if Pancrate can put in a shift at right back is it too much to ask Guthrie to bust a gut in midfield?

If you care to think back to before the last couple of games, you'd see that he was.

Sorry I thought we were talking about today's game.

We were until you mentioned Pancrate.

The problem i've got with Guthrie is, although he might do the odd one or two decent things in a game, he gives the ball away far to many times.

He is, a decent footballer at times, but not as good as he thinks he is. There were plenty of times in todays game when he could have just played the easy ball and kept possession. But he thinks he's fucking Beckham or something. Trying little flicks to players, leaving them with difficult balls to control, when he could just play it simple. Or trying to take on players in stupid areas of the pitch, then losing possession and leaving us exposed.

In my opinion he needs a rocket up his arse from the manager (yeah, like that'll happen).

We most certainly do. We'll get absolutely murdered in the premiership unless we stick to playing Smith and Nolan in the centre with Barton on the bench.

Ideal world we would replace them all. Barton and Guthrie would be the last two out the door though.

The reason we got relegated in the first place was because our pathetically slow and pedestrian midfield was being over run week in week out...hell even teams in this division are running over us in midfield....if we do go up we need a whole new midfield or we are fucked

Guthrie will never ever be a prem player hes as thick as mince got no footballing brain at

The reason we got relegated in the first place was because our pathetically slow and pedestrian midfield was being over run week in week out...hell even teams in this division are running over us in midfield....if we do go up we need a whole new midfield or we are f***ed

Guthrie will never ever be a prem player hes as thick as mince got no footballing brain at

How do you explain the assists then? He's 22, you can't expect him to read the game like Andrea Pirlo.

Guest Heneage

Right now Guthries the only centre mid I'd keep, at least he has potential for growth, the rest are way to old to adapt their games, and Nolan looks like he doesn't fancy dropping the weight.

Barton has from now till the end of the season to impress IMO.

Our CM is a very big worry. Smith has played above exectations this season but that doesn't mean he is the answer. He will get hammerred in the Prem. Nolan would be useful in a midfield 3 as he no longer has the legs. I think the only 2 that have potential in the Prem is Guthrie and Barton. Doubt Barton can rediscover his International call up form and I am not sure Guthrie has it in him to be a top class player, but he'll do next season. Butt should be nowhere near a Championship squad next season let a lone a Premiership one.

We seemed to improve last night when Guthrie moved inside. Nolan has been struggling lately not even scoring goals so would like to see a midfield 4 on Friday of Rutledge-Smith-Guthrie-Jonas. I think that can work.

Our CM is a very big worry. Smith has played above exectations this season but that doesn't mean he is the answer. He will get hammerred in the Prem. Nolan would be useful in a midfield 3 as he no longer has the legs. I think the only 2 that have potential in the Prem is Guthrie and Barton. Doubt Barton can rediscover his International call up form and I am not sure Guthrie has it in him to be a top class player, but he'll do next season. Butt should be nowhere near a Championship squad next season let a lone a Premiership one.

We seemed to improve last night when Guthrie moved inside. Nolan has been struggling lately not even scoring goals so would like to see a midfield 4 on Friday of Rutledge-Smith-Guthrie-Jonas. I think that can work.

Excellent post. Agree with all of it.

Guthrie is a plodder - that is why Liverpool allowed him to leave. They very rarely let decent players go, like Man U.

He looks reasonable in this team and this division because BOTH are short of real talent - look how West Brom's midfielders left him chasing shadows, and he is probably the best midfielder we have(Jonas is mainly a winger).

This is as good as he will get and. like many of his team-mates, will need replacing if NUFC manage to go up.

I bet KK would have got rid of him - he let Peacock and Kelly go after promotion and BOTH were more effective in their positions than Guthrie.

The fact that so many rate him shows how far the expectations of fans have fallen in the past 5 years.

Keegan was the one who saw premiership potential in him, thats why he brought him in.

Any of those west brom midfielders next to our lot would look poor. You cannot expect him to dominate a well working midfield on his own.

Guthrie is a plodder - that is why Liverpool allowed him to leave. They very rarely let decent players go, like Man U.

Warnock? Crouch? Alonso?

All much better than what they have now. Benitez has made a lot of baffling decisions in getting rid of players.

Guest HGB1892

Keegan was the one who saw premiership potential in him, thats why he brought him in.

Any of those west brom midfielders next to our lot would look poor. You cannot expect him to dominate a well working midfield on his own.

KK Only signed him because he was cheap. Little Dennis was the one given the money for big signings. Guthrie did nothing at Bolton and has done nothing for us.