Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Im a big fan but I thought he wasn't that good again today. Obviously aside from his delivery which was absolutely outstanding, he played himself into trouble too often and his touch wasn't the best. I'm still a big fan of the lad but I'm sure most of us would prefer him in the middle with RTaylor/Pancrate on the right.

Nolan is the reason we play long ball football, he just doesn't do enough running off the ball. Guthrie needs to be given a run in the centre for me, what we lose in goals we should more than make up for in effective midfield play.

Nolan is the reason we play long ball football, he just doesn't do enough running off the ball. Guthrie needs to be given a run in the centre for me, what we lose in goals we should more than make up for in effective midfield play.

I do have faith in our strikers but I wouldn't risk taking out such a goal threat, the reason we are where we are is because unlike other teams we have taken our chances and Nolan has been on the end of a good majority of them.

Decent player playing out of position. Great cross for the second goal, cheeky little delivery for the first, always wanted the ball and looked lively.

Some dodgy moments (particularly the pass that went through to Harper, just), but a good performance overall from someone without the natural attributes for playing out wide.

Guest Heneage

Hughton seems intent on only playing him out wide. I hoped when Smith came off it would be for Pancrate and he would just move Guthrie inside, actually giving the lad a match in his normal position.

Think its because he wants one defensive minded centre mid & one attack minded. Having said that even with Nolan out, he played Butt next to smith which is two defensive mids. Was an away game though, so probably just being overly cautious in general.

Hughton seems intent on only playing him out wide. I hoped when Smith came off it would be for Pancrate and he would just move Guthrie inside, actually giving the lad a match in his normal position.

It would have been nice to see but you need a defensive player with Nolan in midfield so unfortunately imo Butt was the only option.

• 5 weeks later...

RONALDO

By the looks of it, I seem to have seen more games than you if you think Guthrie is our most creative player. He isnt even a regular starter, is he? (Shakes head here in dismay)

If Guthrie was as good as you are making him ouit to be, he would be playing every week, wouldnt he?

Yes, right now and even if he played till he was 50, Nobby would still have more ability than Guthrie.

At best, Guthrie is second rate, a failure at Liverpool and not really all that much better with us. Nobby has seen it all and still has the quality to deliver, something which Guthrie has consistently failed to show, even in the CCC.

It's about time rubbish like this was eradicated from the forum. Looks like I was wrong once again, eh Macca?

RONALDO

By the looks of it, I seem to have seen more games than you if you think Guthrie is our most creative player. He isnt even a regular starter, is he? (Shakes head here in dismay)

If Guthrie was as good as you are making him ouit to be, he would be playing every week, wouldnt he?

Yes, right now and even if he played till he was 50, Nobby would still have more ability than Guthrie.

At best, Guthrie is second rate, a failure at Liverpool and not really all that much better with us. Nobby has seen it all and still has the quality to deliver, something which Guthrie has consistently failed to show, even in the CCC.

It's about time rubbish like this was eradicated from the forum. Looks like I was wrong once again, eh Macca?

Bloody hell, "eradicated" is a bit strong isn't it?! :lol: ;)

Guest firetotheworks

Seemed to have a 'fuck it, Im playing in the middle' state of mind tonight. And played much more effectively because of it. He was the only one in there picking a forward pass. Nolan will not be dropped at all this season though, even if he goes on a goal drought.

Guest Heneage

I like Guthrie a lot, in a dream world, him Collison and someone else for next season please.

For me, in a dream world him with Barton in CM and two really good wingers to complete a perfect midfield.

Must disagree with you mate, I don't think Barton and Guthrie are quite athletic enough for a premier league midfield.

Guest firetotheworks

Skilful but not very strong. Tends to dither on the ball.

Spot on Bob. It is one of the reasons I think he would get clattered to bits in the middle.

Except that that's his natural position and he was one of the best players in the league the last time he was here.