The Premier League

Dave

Watching that match today reminded me of just how much I hate about it.

Ridiculous refereeing, giving free-kicks every 30secs for the tiniest of fouls yet missing blatant others.

Bookings for 'intent' (even when it's intent to win the fucking ball!).

'Controversy'.

Nausiating levels of hype.

Whinging, cheating, overpaid players who think they should be protected (our players are still guilty of this on yesterday's evidence).

Commentators talking like their opinions mean anything, and referring to players and managers on first name terms.

The excuses rolled out for favourites.

Alright the skill level is higher and I desperately want us to come back up as soon as possible, but there's some elements of the Football League that are far more appealing. After taking in the first weekend of the Championship and then comparing it to a match between the two best teams in the Premier League, I don't think I'll be watching too much of the latter this year.

Don't think it has anything to do with leagues. Think it's all about the divide between big teams and small teams. Looking at the game yesterday, the ref did seem to treat us as if we were a big team. Think we'll see a lot of decisions go our way this year.

Bookings for intent is horseshit like. Rob Styles awarding Liverpool that pen ages ago against Sheff Utd was a disgrace tbh. I agree with excuses rolled out for the favs as well it's cringe-worthy.

Guest Heneage

The "Big Four" epitomize this, often on "Supa Sunday".

There are a fair few massive knobheads in the premier league, Ballack springs to mind. But the whole rolling and falling over like tissue paper in the wind, what the media and the FA seem to forget is that kids are watching and learning these bad habits. As if marketing new shirts and fancy boots to kids every 10 minutes wasn't bad enough. I'm starting to wonder if this really is the best league in the world, it just appears to be the fastest.

I won't be watching the Premier League, it 's another world for me now. Even with Ashley hanging over us I am enjoying the Championship because our players don't look so shit in this division. It's a relief to watch our defenders make mistakes and knowing the opposition striker will probably blaze it over the bar anyway  :smug:

Bookings for intent is horseshit like. Rob Styles awarding Liverpool that pen ages ago against Sheff Utd was a disgrace tbh. I agree with excuses rolled out for the favs as well it's cringe-worthy.

But it's all the wank that goes with it as well. That decision today to play on when Evra was down will be talked about all week, it's utterly pathetic.

Just fucking get on with it.

I won't be watching the Premier League, it 's another world for me now. Even with Ashley hanging over us I am enjoying the Championship because our players don't look so shit in this division. It's a relief to watch our defenders make mistakes and knowing the opposition striker will probably blaze it over the bar anyway  :smug:

:thup:

I'll still quite like promotion,  mind.

it sort of feels like the Premier League has got too big for it's own good. I enjoyed the match yesterday more than I have any other match for a long time because it felt like it was just about the football, nothing else.

Guest Stephen927

I was thinking yesterday before kick off how much I was looking forward to a new season in a new league. I'd obviously much rather be in the Premier League, because as cliched as it is a club this size shouldn't be out of the top flight.

:thup:

I'll still quite like promotion,  mind.

Nothing quite like a promotion season. If only Ashley will bugger off I am convinced it can happen.

It was actually kinda fun watching us in a new league, a few new faces on the team and even the new uniforms. There was some sense of deja vu though, mainly the inept performance from Ameobi, Raylor and Nolan, as well as the fact that we were playing against the team we played against twice last season. This is going to be an interesting season - once we get a few new faces in (hopefully!) I really think this will be a fun season.

Totally agree, Dave. Well said dude.

Tbh, people bang on about the 'pace', 'speed' and 'excitement' of the Premier League all day long but after watching the Championship (and the Southampton Vs Millwall game, League 1) I saw much more excitement, free flowing, end to end football than I would normally see in the Premier. As people have stated, the game stops so unneeded every 30 seconds or so- advantage (or common sense) just doesn't exist- making it very frustrating to watch.

But the thing that kills me most is all the utter shite that Keys, Redknapp, Tyler and (especially) Gray talk. Its all such overhyped nonsense about the "top 4" and all these pathetic excuses made for the cheats! I mean ffs, why don't they slate the cheaters like Drogba, Malouda, Gerrard, Eboue etc to fuck?! There's no room in the game for them.

The tackles fly in in leagues like the Championship and League 1 etc and players just get on with it.

Although I'd love for an instant return to the Premiership, it is nice and refreshing not having so much over dramatised hype about the games. 

I won't be watching the Premier League, it 's another world for me now. Even with Ashley hanging over us I am enjoying the Championship because our players don't look so s*** in this division. It's a relief to watch our defenders make mistakes and knowing the opposition striker will probably blaze it over the bar anyway  :smug:

:spit:yes its all true and tbh in a perverse way i like it

Guest westamfan

That's just big matches in general, not really anything to do with the Premiership. Jose Mourinho's tactics at Porto and Chelsea was to dive for 90 mins and stifle the life out of the game. The bigger the prize the more hysterical and desperate the players and the crowd gets. When the crowd are spending 90 mins screaming frustrations at the ref for a stop start game full of niggly kicks and dives the magic of football goes with it.

To be honest Newcastle I always thought was one of the worst at this, the way the whole ground tries to influence the ref (especially last season) and instantly start booing when the others teams score.

It's just makes a bad atmosphere.

That's just big matches in general, not really anything to do with the Premiership. Jose Mourinho's tactics at Porto and Chelsea was to dive for 90 mins and stifle the life out of the game. The bigger the prize the more hysterical and desperate the players and the crowd gets. When the crowd are spending 90 mins screaming frustrations at the ref for a stop start game full of niggly kicks and dives the magic of football goes with it.

To be honest Newcastle I always thought was one of the worst at this, the way the whole ground tries to influence the ref (especially last season) and instantly start booing when the others teams score.

It's called trying to influence the game.  If Newcastle win, we go home happy.

??? Pretty much every single set of fans will try and 'influence' the ref when decisions aren't going their way.

I enjoyed our game yesterday more than I enjoyed a game for a long, long time.

It feels kind of like you're together with a decent looking, really nice lass, but your ex is really fucking hot but isn't much fun, but you still want to get back with her just because she's so much fitter.

I enjoyed our game yesterday more than I enjoyed a game for a long, long time.

It feels kind of like you're together with a decent looking, really nice lass, but your ex is really f***ing hot but isn't much fun, but you still want to get back with her just because she's so much fitter.

This implies that you've been with more than two girls, which can't be true. There's no thread about it in general chat.