Newcastle United 1 - 0 Sheff Weds - 19/08/09 - post match reaction from page 18

Dave

Jonas did alright for me today, he seems to have set too high a standard for himself, he had two men on him most of the time and if Ryan Taylor had a performance like Jonas tonight everyone would be going mental.

Guest Geordiekev

Jonas did alright for me today, he seems to have set too high a standard for himself, he had two men on him most of the time and if Ryan Taylor had a performance like Jonas tonight everyone would be going mental.

Took a fair old beating aswell, retards were trying to crock him..

Jonas & Colo have given up IMO, this rumour that Ashley told the players that there would be no more player sales may be true, both looked really fkd off tonight.

Not celebrating the goal was a disgrace, come to think of itr did they celebrate on Saturday?

Coloccini's a central defender. We've conceded 1 goal in 3 games, and none in this one despite coming under more pressure than we should have due to the over-paid midfield being out-passed by Shef Wed in the 2nd tier of English football. Why is this his fault rather than those who should be dictating the game?

Guest firetotheworks

Harper 8 - 2 brilliant saves right in front of me. Those who said hewas s**** after WBA should hang their heads, very solid. MOTM

Simpson 6 - decent debut, has an agressive approach by the look of him

Taylor 7.5 - well played, nice and solid

Coloccini 7 - as always, gets better as the game goes on.  Often outpaced and outjumped but was always there when it mattered

Enrique 8 - just pipped for motm, solid in defence and dangerous in the other half. Our best player so far this season

R Taylor 6 - average, not a winger

Nolan 4.5 - horrible, absolutely horrible and was sucking wind by the 70 minute mark.

Smith 5 - should have been sent off after 30 minutes, two many daft challenges. Guthrie should stroll back in

Jonas 5 - plays with no confidence in his ability to beat people, asa ever needs to play deeper and with his head up

Carroll 6 - He works hard but needs to work badly on his first touch and improve his general awareness. No confidence in his shooting

Shola 7 - Great finish, offside so often it's criminal. Not helped by the lack of a midfield

Barton and Guthrie HAVE to start whenever fit, but wont with that w***** in charge

I can agree with just about everything else. But that is a criminal rating. He was woeful and you know it.

Jonas was very good tonight, his final ball still wasn't good but everything went through him and without him we'd have looked pretty awful IMO.  We would have been so much better though if we'd had a good player on the right wing.  Wednesday could afford to stick extra men on Jonas because they knew we had fuck all down the right.

Hope we can keep hold of him, we certainly need to.

With Barton they are the only creative outlet in the team. Really doesnt bode well as it is, seeing as one cant cross or shoot and the other is always suspended, injured or awol!

I thought Colo was decent. His man got on the wrong side of him a few times but he gets his foot in and blocks the ball now, which is something he lacked when he first came here.

Enrique was man of the match by a mile for me. Harper was decent but two saves in 90 minutes (did he actually touch the ball in the first half?) isn't that spectacular.

That number 23 was areal danger, thought Tudgay was poor.

eddie johnson on loan from fulham i think. whoever he was he was by far the best player on the pitch.

they reminded me of WBA last season. lots of possession, looked great up to 20 yds out then offered little. nolan and smith were anon for us.

I thought Colo was decent. His man got on the wrong side of him a few times but he gets his foot in and blocks the ball now, which is something he lacked when he first came here.

Enrique was man of the match by a mile for me. Harper was decent but two saves in 90 minutes (did he actually touch the ball in the first half?) isn't that spectacular.

I think he did that from the first day he came tbh. Not everyone's cup of tea but why blame the favourites when there's a handy scapegoat?

Was very warm there tonight - 'balmy' is the appropriate word!

Indeed . I was sweating my bollocks off after the climb tp level 7 and stayed that way all way through the match.

Still was about 10 minutes after I got home.  :no:

Had a bet on us to win 2-0 with Ameobi to score :( Great match though, really enjoying watching some decent football and getting a few wins. Was great to see a good away following for once as well.

I think he did that from the first day he came tbh. Not everyone's cup of tea but why blame the favourites when there's a handy scapegoat?

Who are the favorites Butt & Nolan ??  :lol: Central midfielders are mainly the only people you could put at more fault, maybe with rtaylor also.

I agree that the midfield is probably our biggest issue, but largely because when thats decent it takes a lot of the pressure off defence.

He is a pretty woeful defender, Faye was 20x better.

Made hard work of it but i wouldn't say we were lucky in the slightest; if only for the face Sheff Wed were far worse than us.

As far as i'm concerned, it's bought us more time - same as WBA, same as Reading. We needed to win the games cos we can't have disarray on the field to match what's off it. We've made a comfortable start - let's get a manager and some new players. There's every chance of promoting ourselves if we sort ourselves out in good time.

Quite a few players were very shit tonight and i wouldn't be surprised if it boils down to fatigue. That's very worrying... if they're tired now they're gonna be fucked by winter and we'll do well to finish in the top half. We need new players and quick.

We weren't "lucky" to win, though. Scrappy, unattractive football match but the win was deserved. We simply lost all impetus when Carroll went off.