Crystal Palace vs Newcastle United 22/08/09 - pre-match thread

Fatwax

Butt is supposed to be fit for this one, correct? I reckon he'll be involved if he's fit. I'm not saying that because I want him to be involved, I just think that it will happen.

Harper

Simpson   Taylor   Colo   Enrique

Barton  Guthrie   Nolan   Jonas 

Ameobi  Carroll

That team is capable of winning any game this season, assuming they're fit. Hopefully we'll get a good result. The last time we won three in a row was under Keegan at the end of 07 / 08, I believe.

that's basically what we said last season about last season's team (around this time too)

Harper

Simpson   Taylor   Colo   Enrique

Barton  Guthrie   Nolan   Jonas 

Ameobi  Carroll

Assuming everyone's fit, that's the team I expect to see the majority of the season.

Butt is supposed to be fit for this one, correct? I reckon he'll be involved if he's fit. I'm not saying that because I want him to be involved, I just think that it will happen.

Harper

Ameobi  Carroll

That team is capable of winning any game this season, assuming they're fit. Hopefully we'll get a good result. The last time we won three in a row was under Keegan at the end of 07 / 08, I believe.

that's basically what we said last season about last season's team (around this time too)

To be fair, though, that's the one good thing about playing in this league. There aren't any games that are obvious defeats. I think all our games are both winnable and potentially losable.

This game will show just whether this team can be serious promotion contenders.

Warnock's sides are renowned for being physical and competitive ; some of our players will get a shock if Palace play anything like Sheff Utd did whilst Warnock was in charge - Coloccini and Jonas in particular will be in for a rude awakening...

An away game against this type of opposition is what this league is all about and the team's character will face a tough examination - will be an interesting day.....

I am thinking we are going to lose this game pretty badly. Players not used to this many games, away from home (London no less) overconfidence, settling in of bad habits from the second have of the Wednesday game, no new players, no off field issues settled, organized and hungry opponents.

3-0 to Palace with Colocini taking a nap second half and one of our midfielders getting sent off.

Dear god its just dawned on me that Nicky Butt is back too  :(  tears before bedtime... you know he will start if fully fit.

Smith or Butt, i really dont know which is worse.

we will probably drop Nolan and play them both in the centre!

Harper

Ameobi  Carroll

To be fair, though, that's the one good thing about playing in this league. There aren't any games that are obvious defeats. I think all our games are both winnable and potentially losable.

Give the man a prize.

;)

Harper

Simpson                    Colo                              Taylor*                  José

Butt                                Smith

Guthrie                        Barton                    Jonas

Ameobi

*If he's still here

Assuming Carroll is out for this one Hughton will most probably push Nolan up and play Butt in midfield, giving us one striker upfront and Nolan playing balls to him.

How did Smith play against the Owls?

This will probably be a scrappy game between two physical sides. Nolan's lack of mobility shouldn't be exposed as much as the ball won't be played on the deck. We need the midfielders to start chipping in with some goals if we are going to keep winning.

Assuming Carroll is out for this one Hughton will most probably push Nolan up and play Butt in midfield, giving us one striker upfront and Nolan playing balls to him.

How did Smith play against the Owls?

Flew into a tackle early on and got booked, had to settle down after that.  Meh he was ok.

I thought Sheff Wed passed the ball well but had no cutting edge.

I hope we get a dodgy goal, i wanna see Warnock spazz out.

:lol: He's almost guarenteed to

An offside not given or the ball didnt cross the line.

You could create a great comdey sketch with Warnocks antics.

I hope we get a dodgy goal, i wanna see Warnock spazz out.

I do as well, would be class if it was like that watford one last term that went wide, then we get a pen for handball from their keeper inside the box, and they score but its deemed offside even though Colo is sitting next to Harper having a sandwich.

Wouldn't mind seeing Carroll dropped for this game.  Rather we had Xisco or Ranger given a start, get some pace in attack.  Ameobi play target man and perhaps be replaced by Carroll if he is tired later in the game.

Guest Stephen927
Selhurst Park - The Place That Ruined A Legend!

On Saturday Newcastlle return to the place where a Toon legend saw his career ended by a ridiculous challenge.

Tony Green signed for Newcastle from Blackpool and never has a player made such an impact in such a short time.

Green played his first match for United at the end of October 1971 and played his 35th and last game only ten months later; yet he made such an impression during his short stay that he is rightly regarded as one of the best players to pull on a black and white shirt.

Crystal Palace defender Mel Blythe made the tackle that ruined Green's career, and he retired aged 27.

His brilliant individual skills and searing burst of pace would have been enough to make him a really good player but what made him exceptional was that he combined these qualities with tremendous work rate, heart and character.

Green had pace, agility and skill in abundance. He had superb ball control and his greatest asset was that in the congested central midfield areas he could shimmy past opponents at speed.

Stan Mortenson (speaking in 1969) talked of him in glowing terms. "His greatest asset is that he moves quickly from defence into attack. He's never afraid to take on a man and beat him ... which allied to his enthusiasm, ability, guts, strength and temperament, makes him what he is - a great player."

When he joined the club United were in dire trouble; the 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park on his debut sending them into rock bottom place after 2 wins, 4 draws and 10 defeats in the first sixteen games.

His arrival kick started the season as Green linked up superbly with the other new recruits Hibbitt and Macdonald . His inspirational form helped United gradually climb out of trouble and earned him the Man of the Match in two thirds of the matches he played. Not surprisingly he also walked off with the Player of the Year award.

United coach Burkinshaw talked of his desire to succeed. "His attitude is his greatest asset. This is what makes him tick". And also states that "for taking a man on he's the best I know, anywhere".

Don Revie enthused (after he had performed brilliantly against Leeds) : "Green was superb. He is a man with skill, courage and pace".

The little scot was a quiet unassuming man who had a much appreciated wry sense of humour. Terry Hibbitt went as far as claiming he was "the joker in the pack". Despite his major impact on Tyneside Green retained his modesty refusing to accept that United's resurgence was down to his arrival and claiming that "with players like this and fans like this you can hardly help but play well can you"

However, despite his obvious credentials Green won only six caps for his home country with Tommy Docherty appearing unable to fit his mercurial talents into his struggling side.

Tragically at the beginning of the 1972/73 season he suffered a cartilage injury that would end his career. At 26 he had just been reaching his prime.

Newcastle's insurance repaid the transfer fee, but Joe Harvey regarded it as scant consolation. "After they made Tony Green they threw away the mould. I couldn't hope to buy a similar player not even for twice that amount".

"Tony was the best midfield man in the country and I mean that. His skills thrilled me in a way that no one else has been able to achieve. That lightning speed over the first five yards, the body swerve and that fabulous shot from such a little fellah ....... he was unique".

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=458752