Chris Hughton

Keefaz

Hopefully he'll be able to conduct himself with more assertiveness now.

I think he'll find it impossible to change his character whatever his job title.

Let's hope Anal has got it wrong again.

it's not really about changing character, it's about maximizing authority.

Guest Geordiekev

Well if he gets appointed then I would guess that any chance of a sale is history, unless it has been pre-arranged by any possible new owner as this is MA way of telling everyone I'm in it for another few month.

(And once again another manager to bang to the list of career suicide).

CHRIS HUGHTON insists that steadying the ship at crisis club Newcastle ranks as possibly his greatest achievement in football.

In a highly-regarded playing career, the Magpies’ caretaker manager won two FA Cups and the UEFA Cup with Tottenham and became the Republic of Ireland’s first black international.

He built up reputation and respect during seven years as first-team coach at Tottenham – serving under a total of 10 managers – and was twice caretaker boss at White Hart Lane.

But Hughton believes that his efforts in picking up the pieces this summer amid the fall-out from Newcastle’s relegation, and his subsequent success in guiding United to the top of the Championship, have given him most pleasure – if also some pain.

“I had some great times at Tottenham as a player and coach, but what we have done here in the last couple of months has given me just as much enjoyment, and possibly more,” said Hughton.

“I was fortunate in my days at Spurs. I was obviously a player there and then on the coaching staff for a number of years, but mostly in good times.

“But coming here has posed some real challenges, of course, and I think you find out more about yourself in adversity.

“I certainly don’t want to detract from the massive disappointment of having gone down. It was horrendous for everyone – and the fans most of all – and something I never want to experience again.

“But, certainly, the period from pre-season to now is one I’m very proud of, although a lot of very good people here have made my job much easier. It’s been a great effort by everyone.

“It’s been very, very challenging and certainly made me a far more experienced, better, more confident coach. It’s made me a better football person.

“And when you’ve had such a down as we had at the end of last season, it does drive you on very much to achieve more.”

Having spent a torrid spell in temporary charge of Newcastle’s first-team following Kevin Keegan’s departure 13 months ago, Hughton took the reins again in February after Joe Kinnear’s heart attack.

And the Londoner was asked to reprise his Red Adair role yet again in the summer, as Mike Ashley’s struggle to sell the club prevented Alan Shearer from being appointed manager full time.

It’s a task Hughton has relished, despite his inability to buy a single player ahead of the close of the transfer window early last month.

“I’ve always wanted to fight on here – there has always been a purpose to fight on and another challenge to face here,” he added.

“Obviously, we all want to bounce back up and put the wrongs of last season right, but I also feel a sense of personal responsibility.

“I’m not a Geordie, but I was genuinely hurt at what happened last season.

“You can’t live and work in this city and not feel that pain, and the passion to bounce back up.

“Geordies are very proud, resolute people, and they give me that extra incentive to get things right here, however long I’m around.”

Guest toonlass

CHRIS HUGHTON insists that steadying the ship at crisis club Newcastle ranks as possibly his greatest achievement in football.

In a highly-regarded playing career, the Magpies’ caretaker manager won two FA Cups and the UEFA Cup with Tottenham and became the Republic of Ireland’s first black international.

He built up reputation and respect during seven years as first-team coach at Tottenham – serving under a total of 10 managers – and was twice caretaker boss at White Hart Lane.

But Hughton believes that his efforts in picking up the pieces this summer amid the fall-out from Newcastle’s relegation, and his subsequent success in guiding United to the top of the Championship, have given him most pleasure – if also some pain.

“I had some great times at Tottenham as a player and coach, but what we have done here in the last couple of months has given me just as much enjoyment, and possibly more,” said Hughton.

“I was fortunate in my days at Spurs. I was obviously a player there and then on the coaching staff for a number of years, but mostly in good times.

“But coming here has posed some real challenges, of course, and I think you find out more about yourself in adversity.

“I certainly don’t want to detract from the massive disappointment of having gone down. It was horrendous for everyone – and the fans most of all – and something I never want to experience again.

“But, certainly, the period from pre-season to now is one I’m very proud of, although a lot of very good people here have made my job much easier. It’s been a great effort by everyone.

“It’s been very, very challenging and certainly made me a far more experienced, better, more confident coach. It’s made me a better football person.

“And when you’ve had such a down as we had at the end of last season, it does drive you on very much to achieve more.”

Having spent a torrid spell in temporary charge of Newcastle’s first-team following Kevin Keegan’s departure 13 months ago, Hughton took the reins again in February after Joe Kinnear’s heart attack.

And the Londoner was asked to reprise his Red Adair role yet again in the summer, as Mike Ashley’s struggle to sell the club prevented Alan Shearer from being appointed manager full time.

It’s a task Hughton has relished, despite his inability to buy a single player ahead of the close of the transfer window early last month.

“I’ve always wanted to fight on here – there has always been a purpose to fight on and another challenge to face here,” he added.

“Obviously, we all want to bounce back up and put the wrongs of last season right, but I also feel a sense of personal responsibility.

“I’m not a Geordie, but I was genuinely hurt at what happened last season.

“You can’t live and work in this city and not feel that pain, and the passion to bounce back up.

“Geordies are very proud, resolute people, and they give me that extra incentive to get things right here, however long I’m around.”

:clap: Well said that man

I'd be gobsmacked if Shearer came in and chucked either of those two out. (That said, i wouldn't be against him bringing in his own man aswell).

Shearer would want him to stay I'm sure but Hughton himself might find it difficult to go back to the sidelines and would probably consider a manager's job if one came up. Anyway, I don't think anyone would begrudge him his good spell, he had to put up with some shit when he was caretaker last season. I should know I aimed a lot of it his way.  :whistle:

Oh aye i reckon Hughton would be off fairly soon. It'd be better for both he and Shearer in the long run. But for the remainder of the season, if we were to bring in Shearer (or any other manager), he'd no doubt stay until the end of the season. I bet Hughton will get plenty of offers from Football League clubs in 2010.

I'm still failing to see why Shearer should be given the job.

because deluded geordies need a new messiah man

sarcasm(?) / :lol:

I do wonder whether bringing shearer in is a step forward. He's no more experienced than houghton in management and although he's probably more inclined to strap on a pair and make more assertive decisions he's still very green around the gills. I do think whoever comes in needs more considering the turmoil. I'm happy plodding along with hughton atm to be honest. Better we keep this relative stability while we're at the top of the pile

Will be given the permanent job this week according to the people (Oliver)

Oh FFS hope this is not true, but more than likely. When are people going to realise that he's doing no more than a solid job, with the squad we have, we should be top of this league. He's not the future for this football club and appointing him on a permenant basis also means his future on the coaching staff is in jeapordy, because when he fails and he will if and when we come up against more than mediocre opposition, he'll be sacked. Like Roeder before him, we'll miss him as coach more than we'll benefit from him as another short term manager.

Oh FFS hope this is not true, but more than likely. When are people going to realise that he's doing no more than a solid job, with the squad we have, we should be top of this league. He's not the future for this football club and appointing him on a permenant basis also means his future on the coaching staff is in jeapordy, because when he fails and he will if and when we come up against more than mediocre opposition, he'll be sacked. Like Roeder before him, we'll miss him as coach more than we'll benefit from him as another short term manager.

I argued vehemently against Roeders appointment, but I think I would be fairly open to Hughton getting a pop at it; for a start the man talks a damn sight more sense, has pulled the squad together, and seems to pick the right team/subs more often than not which is half the battle.

Put it this way, in the absence of any alternatives (you won't see Shearer again until the club's sold and there is sod all out there that jumps out at me or would find us a draw at this point), it's pretty disrespectful to the guy to keep him as a caretaker on presumably caretakers wages for very much longer.

He is doing a managers job so unless regime change is really 'just around the corner', change his title accordingly.

I argued vehemently against Roeders appointment, but I think I would be fairly open to Hughton getting a pop at it; for a start the man talks a damn sight more sense, has pulled the squad together, and seems to pick the right team/subs more often than not which is half the battle.

Put it this way, in the absence of any alternatives (you won't see Shearer again until the club's sold and there is sod all out there that jumps out at me or would find us a draw at this point), it's pretty disrespectful to the guy to keep him as a caretaker on presumably caretakers wages for very much longer.

He is doing a managers job so unless regime change is really 'just around the corner', change his title accordingly.

I'm against him being made the manager full time in any regard. But the point I'm making here is that we'll lose him as a coach if he's made permenant. He will be sacked pretty quickly if not this season (for not getting us promoted) then next in the premiership. I'd rather hang on to him in that capacity, as Roeder was excellent with the youngsters and we've missed that, Hughton's proved to be a pretty adept coach.

Was it not the senior players who pulled themselves together rather than Chris doing much ?

Why do they get the benefit of the doubt when they were the ones that got us relegated? 

Cause they took it upon themselves to get a group of senior players together kinda like a union, a link between management and players. Something which was missing since Bobby Robson. This wasn't suggested by management and without it I think we'd be having the same problems this year as last.