Newcastle v Leicester 31/08/09 - Pre Match Thread [19:45 KO Live on Sky Sports]

Fatwax

Harper

Simpson             Taylor             Coloccini          Enrique

Guthrie               Barton             Nolan             Gutierrez

Smith                Ranger

Gutierrez made a quick recovery did he?

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Enrique

R.Taylor   Smith  Butt   Geremi

Nolan  Guthrie

Imagine! :lol:

Swap Barton for Butt and I'd back that side to get the job done against most Championship sides. Of course Guthrie and Nolan aren't strikers but they both know how to score goals and Nolan is decent enough in the air  - not ideal but it could work. As others have said there's always Smith up front as an option.  They need to be careful with Nile and not throw too much at him too soon, he's still young and getting used to the idea of being a first team squad member. He has talent but his appearances so far suggest he hasn't taken to first team football like a duck to water imo.

Shola quoted in todays  NOTW:-

Ameobi suffered a stress fracture of a bone in his foot in Newcastle's Carling Cup win over Sheffield Wednesday in midweek.

But the depleted nature of Newcastle's squad means he will make an immediate return against Leicester tomorrow.

He added: "You have to play through the pain. I've done it in the past and will do it again. But we do need players."

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Enrique

R.Taylor   Smith  Butt   Geremi

Nolan  Guthrie

Imagine! :lol:

Swap Barton for Butt and I'd back that side to get the job done against most Championship sides. Of course Guthrie and Nolan aren't strikers but they both know how to score goals and Nolan is decent enough in the air  - not ideal but it could work. As others have said there's always Smith up front as an option.  They need to be careful with Nile and not throw too much at him too soon, he's still young and getting used to the idea of being a first team squad member. He has talent but his appearances so far suggest he hasn't taken to first team football like a duck to water imo.

I don't think that side would work at all. It's hard enough playing with one striker, never mind none. I would prefer to see Smith partner Ranger up front as they know how to play the positon and it will come more naturally to them. We have plenty of cover in midfield and if we keep things tight then we have every chance of scoring a goal or two with players like barton or Nolan in the midfield. A Ranger or Smith goal would be a bonus.

Ameobi suffered a stress fracture of a bone in his foot in Newcastle's Carling Cup win over Sheffield Wednesday in midweek.

But the depleted nature of Newcastle's squad means he will make an immediate return against Leicester tomorrow.

He added: "You have to play through the pain. I've done it in the past and will do it again. But we do need players."

He should rest, really. It'll only worsen the injury to a full blown break. Plus it was against Huddersfield.

Anyone know how many tickets who are sold?

http://i29.tinypic.com/2uqofb5.png

Dark dark Blue is pretty much mostly unsold tickets.

Dark blue is a few sold

Lightish blue is quite a few sold

Light light Blue is pretty much sold out

and Grey is sold out/unavailable.

Can we really afford to risk Ameobi's injury?  We could quite easily just play 5 in midfield and allow Nolan to push up behind Ranger.

It's not the best tactic in the world, but it's better than making Ameobi's injury worse!

Agreed. A point here and Shola being allowed to rest his injury is far far better imo than three points but a crocked Shola.