Realistic Transfer Targets January 2010

Howaythelads

We should try for Jonathan de Guzman. Unsettled at Feyenoord and only half a year left on his contract. Feyenoord is skint, and will probably take any money they can for him. The player was recently coveted by bigger clubs (like Valencia), but seems to have been forgotten due to an injury ravaged first half of the season. Now back to fitness and still a good, young, dynamic midfielder. Dunno if he'd come here in our present state, but why not try and see what happens..?

Wow ... he really used to be seen as a big time talent, but things have certainly gone quiet with him.

Definitely one to target in the summer if we go up.

Older brother Julian was also very good in La Liga and he was a free agent this summer... now at MLS.

Always thought that was a suprising move.

Me too, apparently he didn't get offers. He had a rather vocal fight with the Deportivo ownership regarding his contract, which is why they iced him out and let his contract run, but he still was their best player when he played. He is a "designated player" at Toronto, which means he's one of the best paid in the league, but even Landon Donovan was on shit wages, something like 900k/year.

According to FM De Laet is comfortable of playing all across the back four. Would be a good cover signing if this is the case.

"De Laet is late to the tackle"

Too easy.

Ctrl Alt De Laet.

:lol: you sure you're from Prudhoe?

According to FM De Laet is comfortable of playing all across the back four. Would be a good cover signing if this is the case.

Too easy.

Ctrl Alt De Laet.

:laugh: I'm not from here man!

Too easy.

Ctrl Alt De Laet.

aye aye. Just living the dream?

Too easy.

Ctrl Alt De Laet.

:lol: I cannit stand the place.

Plethora of take-away choices is nice though.

Too easy.

Ctrl Alt De Laet.

:lol: I cannit stand the place.

Plethora of take-away choices is nice though.

About only the redeeming feature like.

I wonder if you lot should go and knock Espanyol's door for Raúl Tamudo.

He and the manager supposedly made peace months ago, but truth is he still has barely played for them, which provided how absolutely clueless Espanyol has been in front of goal, tells you something isn't right.

He missed out "YET"  :lol:  but mind I would take a panic buy over no buy any day

Chris Hughton insists: No need to panic

Jan 26 2010  by Luke Edwards, The Journal

CHRIS Hughton has reassured Newcastle United’s supporters there is no sense of panic in the club’s attempts to sign players before the close of the transfer window.

Hughton is confident a deal for Portsmouth centre-back Mike Williamson will be finalised later today and is also hoping a new striker will be on board before the end of the month – despite the unfortunate news that Marlon Harewood has broken his foot in training with Aston Villa and therefore will not be returning to Newcastle.

United have already missed out on their two top targets this month when Matthew Kilgallon signed for Sunderland last week and Jermaine Beckford decided to remain at Leeds United until he becomes a free agent in the summer.

But while there is a greater sense of urgency in their negotiations with clubs and players with less than a week to go until the window closes, Hughton remains calm in his calculations as he tries to maintain a positive public face.

“No, our transfer plans are not in tatters,” said Hughton, who feels he has had the backing he has needed from the club’s board despite the frustrations in the market this month.

“It’s part and parcel of this period in time and I’m no different to any other manager. There might be the top clubs able to pinpoint exactly who they want and go out and get them, but for the rest it’s not as straightforward and there are always going to be difficulties.

“You’re working around the type of player you want to bring in, the other options they have and can you guarantee that player first-team football. We’re still trying to get the targets we have in mind.

"It changes with circumstances and that is all we can do. We feel we’ll be doing some business in the next few days and finish this window with the amount of players we need to go through until the end of the season.”

Despite the setbacks, Hughton (left) denies he is having to frantically look at fresh targets this week as he argued that he already had

back-up plans should other deals fall through.

He explained: “I didn’t expect things to go particularly smoothly, that’s the nature of this window. It’s been a busy month, players become available you didn’t think were available and you include those in the equation, are they players you want, are you hanging on for others.

“There are so many things, but I don’t think that we’ve hit the wall. It’s my job to make sure that even in this week, the priority is to get a result against Crystal Palace, around that there’s all this other work that needs to be done.

“We can’t afford to panic, certainly come the end of the (window) we’ll have the number of players in the squad that we need to have. We’re doing everything we can.

“Ideally you identify the player and bring them in, it can work out that way, but invariably it doesn’t and there’s so much needs to be done. A fee has to be agreed, a player’s got to be happy to come, there are so many different conversations to a deal and players become available to throw a spanner in the works.”

One of the spanners in the works has been Harewood’s injury and the timing could not have been worse for the player, as Newcastle had just begun talking to Aston Villa to sign him until the end of the season.

Hughton added: “He got better and better for us and I could have decided to bring him back straight away, but you have to give yourself time to see what the other options are. It’s not only me.

“If you look at the window the bulk of the work will always be done in the last week or two in the window.

“We had talks to bring Marlon back to the club and we really feel for the lad himself. He was a very big influence around the place, a Premier League player of experience, and our thoughts go out to him – because it’s a difficult time for him.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/26/chris-hughton-insists-no-need-to-panic-61634-25683780/

Guest icemanblue

Did you say that last week? All I can remember is this:

Not that I want to ignite this whole debate again but I absolutely cringed when I folk started comparing Beckford with Cole, my word.

:dowie:

I remember you saying something along those lines.

Edit- http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,60651.msg1824119/topicseen.html#msg1824119