Our midfield

Guest rosstoon

When I started reading I thought that it was going to say the best midfield in the championship. That is a statement which I would not argue with.

On paper we have plenty of quality with Barton, Smith and Butt all with England caps (Butt with plenty), Nolan arguably unlucky not to have one, Guthrie and Taylor having played for the u-21s, Geremi with over 100 Cameroon caps and Gutierrez in the current Argentina squad (plus the supposed wonderkid Vukic), however, in reality they proved themselves to lack pace, the ability to tackle, distribute and hold onto he ball as well as often providing a poor final ball for the strikers to feed off last season.

Guest rosstoon

:mackems:

Would have loved to overheard this conversation.

:idiot2:

Surprised no one clobbered you, must have been an indoors out the way of anyone with a clue conversation.

It was not me who was instigating the conversation it was some mates who dont support newcsatle and asked me. And I still agree on saying on  paper we have a better midfiled than most PL teams. My opinion. Its not right or qrong it just what i personally think

Surprised no one clobbered you, must have been an indoors out the way of anyone with a clue conversation.

It was not me who was instigating the conversation it was some mates who dont support newcsatle and asked me. And I still agree on saying on  paper we have a better midfiled than most PL teams. My opinion. Its not right or qrong it just what i personally think

Not only is it wrong, it's downright mental.

Maybe they were taking the piss and you fell for it?

It's the only explanation i can think of.

Our mid or lack of it got us relegated last season no doubt about it. Having no protection for the back and no creativity to supply the forwards or any threat down the wings was our soft point. How anyone can rate it as a working effective combination of talent and creativity is beyond me.

Nothing works, its completely broken and there's not even a glimmer of hope for it. Total restructure next season if we go up, if not were coming back down.

It's very hard to tell. Last year the team was operating without much leadership on or off the field, and there was a lot of tension around. This season, the team look more united and positive. So I feel that the midfield would have done a lot better last year if there weren't all the other problems around.

Barton being fit and out of jail helps a lot. Likewise the absence of Butt and Owen.

Having said that, the midfield wouldn't be anywhere near the current top six. There's still the problem of an overall lack of pace.

It's very hard to tell. Last year the team was operating without much leadership on or off the field, and there was a lot of tension around. This season, the team look more united and positive. So I feel that the midfield would have done a lot better last year if there weren't all the other problems around.

Barton being fit and out of jail helps a lot. Likewise the absence of Butt and Owen.

Having said that, the midfield wouldn't be anywhere near the current top six. There's still the problem of an overall lack of pace.

Barton's been the poorest of our central midfielders so far this season imo.

Talking to e afew mates over the weekend, none of which are Newcastle fans, they were saying that they reckon weve got the best midfield outside the top 6 in the premier league. After thinking for a while I dont think i could argue. Anyone else thikn this

:facepalm:

Aye, its helped him being injured and starting on the wing.

Well I noticed that he did misplace a few passes against Leicester, but I do think he's a very important member of the side. He's very confident, and that can spread to other players. Plus he's the only one who can really find those killer passes that take defenders out of the game.

IMO we look a better side when he's playing. If he'd not got himself sent off against Liverpool, I'm pretty sure we'd have stayed up. That's why Shearer was so mad at him.

Our midfield has been terrible for a couple of years now and last season it was exposed big time.  We have some good players, but overall it's missing pace, goals and quality creative passing.  In CCC it's clear that the attacks have a lot less guile about them and its more brawn than brains.  Our players can handle a faster pace physically and mentally and its showing.  Only 1 goal conceded in 5 speaks a lot.  Often when we mess up the opposition are now ballooning chances that in the Prem would have tested us.

They are looking good because of the level we are playing at. Last year Guthrie was posing on the half way line, Nolan was gasping for air after 2 mins & was ploding up & down the pitch, Smith when played was chasing shadows & it is pointless even talking about what Barton did last year on the pitch. Jonas looked awesome in August but by most May most people were sick of him.

Well I noticed that he did misplace a few passes against Leicester, but I do think he's a very important member of the side. He's very confident, and that can spread to other players. Plus he's the only one who can really find those killer passes that take defenders out of the game.

IMO we look a better side when he's playing. If he'd not got himself sent off against Liverpool, I'm pretty sure we'd have stayed up. That's why Shearer was so mad at him.

Barton vastly overrates himself. He is hopeless tackling, creates little & scores less. Apart from 2 seasons when he scored 6 league goals every other season he has netted 1 (ONE) league goal the only person who thinks that is mint is Alan Smith.

Remember when Barton was slating Lampard over his book and saying he was more dedicated than him? Embarrassing tbh

That is parked right next to K.Dyer giving it large to the press about himself & him V Paul Scholes. Later that day Scholes whacked 3 past us.