Cardiff City 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 13/09/09 - post match reaction from p19

Dave

Lucky win.

couldn't care less

Good for you.

Try to enjoy it a bit.

By me posting 'lucky win' you deduce i haven't enjoyed it? Sorry but you're clearly an idiot if you think that.

I tend to use the forum to express opinions on the football. We were outplayed for most of the second half and the Taylor handball / Smith sending off were pivotal moments that we should have been punished for. So i thought we were lucky.

No offence, but it just sounded like you're a right miserable twat.

3 points...don't care about performance,they all stood up to be counted today.Smith,immense again...wonder if the ref will rescind his first yellow,which wasn't even a foul.Thought his second yellow was perfect captaincy,Colo put him in the shit,and Smith did what he had to.Very impressed with Simpson also.

I tend to use the forum to express opinions on the football. We were outplayed for most of the second half and the Taylor handball / Smith sending off were pivotal moments that we should have been punished for. So i thought we were lucky.

Spot on. How anyone can't care about the performance is beyond me. If we think we can play like that and keep winning, then we'll soon be proved wrong.

I'm bloody delighted, but I'm not going to ignore how poor we were.

Quite and the more we play like that, the less point there is in being promoted.

Half the time we only looked 'solid' because we didn't bother attacking.

Didn't need to, thought had the goal lead, sorted.

Just because the midfield and defence have defended well doesn't mean that we should just forget about functioning at the other end of the pitch. We didn't even attempt to play any counter attacks.

Lucky win.

couldn't care less

Good for you.

Try to enjoy it a bit.

By me posting 'lucky win' you deduce i haven't enjoyed it? Sorry but you're clearly an idiot if you think that.

And yet its clearly you that sounds like one now. Twat that is.

Over the moon we won. I didn't think we played that badly - we looked really solid in midfield and at the back - didn't allow Cardiff any time or space at all.

27 years since we had 5 clean sheets in a row, apparently. Well done lads. :)

Pity we couldn't pass the ball forwards more than 5 yards without losing it.

Sometimes, you have to win ugly and can I say how refreshing it is to see US do that for once.

Some folk will never be happy. Or only happy when they have something to whinge about?

I think the reason we played poorly was because of the starting line-up. Hughton should have kept it the same as the last game with Barton and Smith in the middle, and Guthrie out wide. Barton wasn't great today like, but he was the only one who actually picked out some decent creative passes, not all came off but they showed intent and some of them were real quality, i like Guthrie but he doesn't quite have the vision that Barton has. Point is keep Barton central, he will create a few opportunities a match and really stretch our opponents.

It's really annoying when we play 'hoof', it could well have been a tactic implemented to save energy for the midweek game but it was terrbile. We have a great ball playing midfield for this league, both Barton and Guthrie are good passers of the ball, and to an extent so is Smith yet we mindlessly punted to Ranger, who won a fair few but had zero support, it was ineffective and we could have been much more comfortable at the end.

Defensively we were solid, thought Colo played really well and as a unit we were disciplined, organised and very effective.

I only saw the second half today but i thought every major decision from Hughton was just plain poor. Guthrie off; why? Lovenkrands on the wing; why (did he touch it)? Geremi on for Barton... just... why? Nicky Butt? :angry:

It's a fucking nasty twist of irony for Smith to bow out just as Nicky Butt comes in (as if he wouldn't have wormed his way into the side somehow anyway). Smith gets a huge pat on the back in my opinion; if there's ever a red card i "want to see", then it's one like that, where it's undoubtedly saved the three points. Colo, ffs man - that was just shocking.

Smith's yellow card (and his pretty gash performance in general) prior to the 92nd minute meant nothing. It was a straight red offense as it was a clear goalscoring opportunity. He put absolutely everything into the lunge and was just a bit unlucky there. You can have a go at him for such challenges in the middle of the park in the 20th minute... but not then - he saved the victory, undoubtedly in my opinion.

Wasn't convinced with Ranger today as far as him being a lone ranger upfront goes, but the lads clearly got some ability. I'm looking forward to seeing him play off someone, but at the moment - injuries considered - it's Carroll and Lovelyhands for me. Maybe Carroll-Ranger to start against Plymouth, given McLoven's fitness... but in the long run. Ranger's got a future like, but it shocks me how a striker who has scored so many goals at all levels other than pro - appears to have such a lack of striker's instinct. Early days though.

Over the moon we won. I didn't think we played that badly - we looked really solid in midfield and at the back - didn't allow Cardiff any time or space at all.

27 years since we had 5 clean sheets in a row, apparently. Well done lads. :)

Pity we couldn't pass the ball forwards more than 5 yards without losing it.

Sometimes, you have to win ugly and can I say how refreshing it is to see US do that for once.

Some folk will never be happy. Or only happy when they have something to whinge about?

I never said I was unhappy about the win though :D But we were that bad <_<

Lucky win.

couldn't care less

Good for you.

Try to enjoy it a bit.

And yet its clearly you that sounds like one now. Twat that is.

There you go again, look!

I think the reason we played poorly was because of the starting line-up. Hughton should have kept it the same as the last game with Barton and Smith in the middle, and Guthrie out wide. Barton wasn't great today like, but he was the only one who actually picked out some decent creative passes, not all came off but they showed intent and some of them were real quality, i like Guthrie but he doesn't quite have the vision that Barton has. Point is keep Barton central, he will create a few opportunities a match and really stretch our opponents.

It's really annoying when we play 'hoof', it could well have been a tactic implemented to save energy for the midweek game but it was terrbile. We have a great ball playing midfield for this league, both Barton and Guthrie are good passers of the ball, and to an extent so is Smith yet we mindlessly punted to Ranger, who won a fair few but had zero support, it was ineffective and we could have been much more comfortable at the end.

Defensively we were solid, thought Colo played really well and as a unit we were disciplined, organised and very effective.

Good post. You mentioned we resorted to the long ball, but I think Harper didn't help there, I didn't see him throw the ball out once, although he had a good game otherwise.

To be honest, Ranger did well in the second half against Leicester but isn't ready at all. We were basically playing 4-6-0 at times, and as a result, failed to threaten whatsoever

Eh? He held the ball up perfectly almost everytime and the midfield were nowhere to be seen, if the likes of Nolan, Guthrie and Barton bothered he might look better.

Made loads of important defensive headers as well.

Promotion run ends today. Nicky Butt has managed to worm his way back into the team and won't be dropped so we're f***ed.

First loss on Wed- nailed on.

Pity we are playing on Tues night then eh?

er no, it's wednesday

So it is. My bad - thought it was Tues night for some reason.

To be honest, Ranger did well in the second half against Leicester but isn't ready at all. We were basically playing 4-6-0 at times, and as a result, failed to threaten whatsoever

Agree entirely there. He just needs to be more greedy iyam. Still a young lad though; i'm happy to have him in the squad.

Lucky win.

couldn't care less

Good for you.

Try to enjoy it a bit.

No offence, but it just sounded like you're a right miserable t***.

that's basically what you said to me when I declared my pessemism after the Boro game in April........

Eh? He held the ball up perfectly almost everytime and the midfield were nowhere to be seen, if the likes of Nolan, Guthrie and Barton bothered he might look better.

Made loads of important defensive headers as well.

Absolutely. Shame he's had to play two games with absolutely no support.