Cardiff City 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 13/09/09 - post match reaction from p19

Dave

Sorry but no they're not, at all - and to say so is purely succumbing to the ridiculous bumfest he receives on this board. I mean for isntance, on a couple of occassions in the second half... he was holding the defender off on the edge of the box - admittedly with his back to goal - but with a good yard of space between him and his encroacher. A turn and shot is hardly against the rules from these situations and i saw him score a similar sounding goal for England the other day. I can't understand it; it's almost as if he's compelled to pass in those situations in the first team, where he'd shoot in the reserves or England team. It's not bad like - and i'd largely put it down to confidence... and the midfield not being that great does make him look wasteful when he isn't as such, but a bit more striker's instinct definitely needs kicking into him. He's nowhere to be seen from set pieces, either.

Carroll's the more rounded striker at the moment and i'd definitely have him in the side ahead of him; especially in a 4-5-1.

Didnt see his goal for England, but dont remember seeing many situations today where i expected him to be able to do much more with it than lay it off atall tbh.

Decent enough performance, the fullbacks were the stand outs for me, bar that dodgy pass by Enrique at the end both were solid and kept out to good wingers in Whittingham and Burke.

Chopra was his usual pish self against us, and Bothroyd wasn't great we got a bit sloppy towards the end with the Smith sending off and the Taylor handball, we need to tighten up a bit and Hughton needs to really think about his changes, Guthrie looked far from happy at being taken off and rightly so, Nolan was offering the least and should have gone.

Plymouth next week with Carroll and potentially Jonas back, they are a poor side by their own admission, and if we can perk up and get back to the way we were playing before the international break we should be able to get 3 points.

Any posts about Ranger lacking attacking instinct are complete nonsense at this point.

Sorry but no they're not, at all - and to say so is purely succumbing to the ridiculous bumfest he receives on this board. I mean for isntance, on a couple of occassions in the second half... he was holding the defender off on the edge of the box - admittedly with his back to goal - but with a good yard of space between him and his encroacher. A turn and shot is hardly against the rules from these situations and i saw him score a similar sounding goal for England the other day. I can't understand it; it's almost as if he's compelled to pass in those situations in the first team, where he'd shoot in the reserves or England team. It's not bad like - and i'd largely put it down to confidence... and the midfield not being that great does make him look wasteful when he isn't as such, but a bit more striker's instinct definitely needs kicking into him. He's nowhere to be seen from set pieces, either.

Carroll's the more rounded striker at the moment and i'd definitely have him in the side ahead of him; especially in a 4-5-1.

Comparing him infavourably to Carroll doesn't do your argument many favours imo. One of Carroll's biggest flaws at first team level is his lack of willingness to have a shot.

Yes but Ranger hasn't even posed any aerial threat (as yet).

I'm trying desperately hard not to sound like i'm writing him off here, :lol: , cos i'm not - i do like him. I'd just prefer to have Carroll in the side, should he be fit enough to play. I'm all for us blooding youngsters and it's nice to see us finally doing so (even if it's forced), but i'd hate to see us be naive and stick with him when there's better options there.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Any posts about Ranger lacking attacking instinct are complete nonsense at this point.

That's just a joke tbh, Ranger's all round play is much better than Carroll's, he brings others into play more. They might do well together though.

Aye i think they might. Still don't agree that Ranger's the better all-round player though. The fact that Carroll actually poses some form of goal threat (even if it's just in the air, which would be an exaggeration anyway) - is why i've just said that he's the better all-round striker.

Ranger's goal record is good though. He's essentially played as a lone striker in both first team games he's started this season, and today was especially difficult due to the sloppy but fast tempo of the game. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him miss some sitters or do something that really indicates he is a liability as a finisher. Carroll I was hating on him for abit but in his abscence it's easy to see what he brought to the team and how much we miss it. Carroll's workrate is good and aerial ability, but his technique is pretty poor imo, compared with Ranger's magnetic boots.

Comparing him infavourably to Carroll doesn't do your argument many favours imo. One of Carroll's biggest flaws at first team level is his lack of willingness to have a shot.

Yes but Ranger hasn't even posed any aerial threat (as yet).

I'm trying desperately hard not to sound like i'm writing him off here, :lol: , cos i'm not - i do like him. I'd just prefer to have Carroll in the side, should he be fit enough to play. I'm all for us blooding youngsters and it's nice to see us finally doing so (even if it's forced), but i'd hate to see us be naive and stick with him when there's better options there.

With our defensive line up, I don't think we got past their full backs to get any decent crosses in so I don't know where the aerial threat from Ranger was going to come from other than a set piece, and his header led to our only goal from one of those. Two away games playing as a lone front man isn't enough evidence to make those sort of judgements for me.

If we are playing two up top I would start Carroll if not I would start Ranger.

Ranger holds the ball up and waits for support where as Carroll is the beast who wins everything in the air but the chances of our midfield running on to his flicks are (unlike one of them) slim to none!

Shite performance today, says a lot about the league when a 'top team with a shit hot striker' cant beat a team that was there for the taking for the whole 2nd half.

Smith is a liability, should have gone long before he did, and Barton needs to start and be the player he gets paid to be.

Dominated first 30 mins or so. Kept it steady for rest of 1st half. Second Half we were s*** but lets be honest Cardiff created f*** all.

Harper 6 - Not much to do.

Simpson 6 - Solid.

S.Taylor 6 - Same.

Coloccini 7 - Much better than what we've seen, cracking header for the goal. Can't believe he scored :lol:  :colo:

Enrique 6 - Great defensively, distribution is dodgy.

R.Taylor 6 - Decent delivery from pretty much every set piece today.

Nolan 5 - Disappeared today.

Smith 8 - Man of the Match again, needed to make that tackle that got him sent off, captain's performance.

Barton 6 - Looked tired towards the end, linked up well with Enrique now and again.

Guthrie 5 - Pretty poor today.

Ranger 6 - Worked hard all day, keeps defenders busy.

Lovenkrands 5 - Meh

Butt 5 - Meh

Geremi 5 - Meh

Harper - 7

Simpson - 6

Enrique - 6

Taylor - 7

Coloccini - 7

Taylor - 7

Guthrie - 6

Smith - 7

Barton - 6

Nolan - 6

Ranger - 6

Poorest we've performed all season, but we've been away from home to two of the "big 4" in this league now and never looked like losing. I reckon we could be looking at 100+ points this season.

If we are playing two up top I would start Carroll if not I would start Ranger.

Ranger holds the ball up and waits for support where as Carroll is the beast who wins everything in the air but the chances of our midfield running on to his flicks are (unlike one of them) slim to none!

Hopefully he can work up a partnership with Loverboy. Flick ons + intelligence + pace + accurate shooting = GOALS  :celb:

Harper - 7

Simpson - 6

Enrique - 6

Taylor - 7

Coloccini - 7

Taylor - 7

Guthrie - 6

Smith - 7

Barton - 6

Nolan - 6

Ranger - 6

Poorest we've performed all season, but we've big away from home to two of the "big 4" in this league now and never looked like losing. I reckon we could be looking at 100+ points this season.

Ranger given the same as Barton? fkn hell