Cardiff City 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 13/09/09 - post match reaction from p19

Dave

First post on here so go easy lads...

But does anyone think the majority of our team look a bit heavy....I thought compared to Cardiff we looked like Giants (probabily the beauty of HD !!!!!)

We looked a bit ponderous and lacking in pace. It doesn't look like a problem in the Championship, but watching a bit of Premiership football over the weekend did bring home to me the difference in tempo between the two leagues.

Not a defeatist whinge, just an observation.

First post on here so go easy lads...

But does anyone think the majority of our team look a bit heavy....I thought compared to Cardiff we looked like Giants (probabily the beauty of HD !!!!!)

We looked a bit ponderous and lacking in pace. It doesn't look like a problem in the Championship, but watching a bit of Premiership football over the weekend did bring home to me the difference in tempo between the two leagues.

Not a defeatist whinge, just an observation.

Aye, the difference in tempo is unbelievable. The Fulham match which followed looked like it was on fast-forward in comparison.

While I am as pleased as anyone with the win I was alarmed at the risky substitutions.

It was worrying that our management deemed it safe to go into the closing stages of the game with Nolan, Butt and Geremi all on the park together.

(3 middle of the park players unable to run !)

It was no surprise that we had to survive the Penalty appeal and the Smith last ditch scythe down in rapid succession. If the game had continued for one more minute we would have conceded as with any 2 out of those 3 on the field together any creative movement or effective closing down then ceases IMO.

While I am as pleased as anyone with the win I was alarmed at the risky substitutions.

It was worrying that our management deemed it safe to go into the closing stages of the game with Nolan, Butt and Geremi all on the park together.

It was no surprise that we had to survive the Penalty appeal and the Smith last ditch scythe down in rapid succession. If the game had continued for one more minute we would have conceded as with any 2 out of those 3 on the field together any creative movement or effective closing down then ceases IMO.

In the prem i would have been worried, but what did Cardif do really to threaten?

I thought they huffed and puffed but never really broke us down on a regular basis, the had the odd chance and that was it.

Merlin

A fair assessment of the game and quite right about the penalty decision. If I was Cardiff, I would have been miffed to say the least, although it wasnt exactly deliberate, Chopra's shot could have beaten Harper.

I felt a bit sorry for Barton, in a way. He was too many times, hemmed in on the byeline with no movement from Ranger, Nolan or Enrique to give possession too. Therefore, he ultimately lost possession because of this.

The defence handled most things well and the tactic of playing Smith just in front of the back four to handle the Bothroyd effect worked well. I was amazed at the commentators who seemed to go into ecstacy everytime Chopra got the ball. I thought that it was clear that they really wanted to see us shot down in flames by him. Suffice to say, it was an excellent result and with new loan signings coming in soon hopefully, players coming back (Guti, Ameobi, Carroll), we will be all the better for it. Nice to know also that we have already got two very tough away trips out of the way in Cardiff and WBA with a good points return.

Thanks for the comment, Macca - on reflection, your comments about Barton also ring true because he WAS isolated on the left at times.

As you say, Smith playing in front of the back 4 has been a major element in the team's results so far - it will be interesting to see how they cope without him.

As you are also in Oz(Melbourne, I believe), what did you think about the TV broadcast times ?

Maybe a bit late for you guys, but perfect for us in WA - kick-off at 9pm our time, ended at 10.45 - just in time for a decent night !!

Thought Barton seemed to be bickering with a few players yesterday especially Nolan and Enrique.

Nolan and Smith are very vocal on the pitch.

After the pre-match warm-up, all of the coaches and players had disappeared down the tunnel, Nolan was left to collect all the balls and take them back in!!

Merlin

Yes, you are a lot luckier than we are in the east but I was happy at the telecast time, being 11pm here especially as I had monday off work.

To be honest, I am pleasantly surpised at the coverage of the CCC here and I have seen WBA, Leicester and Cardiff live already. So, I suppose, it was totally unexpected to get so much coverage.

Do you get down to see Perth Glory at all? I watched the game yesterday and thought you guys were robbed. How the ref didnt give you a free kick in the last minute mystified mme.

Excellent win. I expected a much harder game. Remember, this was being seen as our biggest test so far, and i felt we won fairly comfortably. If we're doing as well come January, the club must try and build on that in the tranfer window.

I really hope we can build in January, and being top of the league will make us a real draw for players. But I fear that if the club is not sold then nobody will be coming in of any note, and we may even sell the likes of Colo, Jonas and Enrique. Hope I'm wrong :(

Guest newcastle4life

Not much of a peformance but a massive 3 points to keep the up the good form against one of the supposed rivals for promotion. Its results like this that can decide who gets promoted winning when not playing that well but Cardiff didnt really look like scoring despite all the position.

No we won't, if the game had gone on another hour we still wouldn't have conceeded, Cardiff were that poor.

Guest ExiledGeordie

Some strange comments about Ranger on here. An 18 year old lad leading the line on his own who didn't often give the ball away and won most of the balls in the air and yet some people giving him 5/10, lol

No we won't, if the game had gone on another hour we still wouldn't have conceeded, Cardiff were that poor.

They missed a few chances in the game, doesnt mean they'd have kept missing. Our defendings been better recently, but luck has played a part in not conceding in 5 games. Several players have skied decent chances against us now that theyd score on another day.

Perhaps being the big team is helping us in that way, puts more pressure on those players when they actually get an opportunity. Still at some point, someone will put one of those away.

They missed a few chances in the game, doesnt mean they'd have kept missing. Our defendings been better recently, but luck has played a part in not conceding in 5 games. Several players have skied decent chances against us now that theyd score on another day.

Perhaps being the big team is helping us in that way, puts more pressure on those players when they actually get an opportunity. Still at some point, someone will put one of those away.

Certainly, if we had conceded in one of those chances I can imagine Cardiff would have dominated the game hencforth. We have been rather fortunate, and I think what you said about being a big team is spot on. For example when we were in the premierleague we'd concede goals in the most unimaginable ways (duff's deflection on d-day being one), in this league the opposition are missing sitters.

But one day our luck will eventually run out, the opposition will get one of those goals in. Still though I'm optimitic, from what I've seen we have enough quality to get results even when we're outplayed.

I thought we played well. Cardiff just couldn't play because we didn't give them time too. Smith epitomized our efforts to give Cardiff as little time on the ball as possible.

Seemingly we've knacked Kelvin Etuhu too :thup:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8256360.stm

Dave Jones hopes to persuade chairman Peter Ridsdale to release funds so he can bolster Cardiff City's attack after the injury blow to Kelvin Etuhu.

The 21-year-old will be out for up to eight weeks with ankle ligament damage after crashing into advertising boards in Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Newcastle.