Cardiff City 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 13/09/09 - post match reaction from p19

Dave

Some baffling comments on here,  can't believe people are saying we were awful/crap.  I'd say we've just went to one of the so called best teams in the league,  who are always strong at home and done a top top professional job on the them with an excellent defensive display.  We started really well, took the lead and then sat back with 2 banks of 4 and said come on then break us down if your good enough and they've barely threatened Harpers goal.  It wasn't even like it was backs to the wall last ditch defending they rarely got into a shooting oportunity in the box.  Off the top of my head i can think of Rae's shot over just after we scored, Burke's shot which Harper saved comfortably and the penalty shout when Taylor blocked Chopras shot.

Yes it would've been great to go there and blow them away with a scintilating football display but we went there to win a game of football and did it well.

Smith was tremendous sitting in front of the 2 centre halfs,  Jose totally snuffed out of the creative threat of Burke, don't think Burke got past him all game, Joe Ledley is meant to be the best midfielder in the CCC but our midfielders never gave him a kick and young Ranger had another decent game up front on his own.  Yes we weren't that good going forward but we were leading the game and didn't need to bomb forward going for a 2nd.

If this is the kind of reaction from people on here after a 1-0 away win against one of the best teams in the league then god help us when we do get beat.   Some people on here want to give there heads a shake and look at the big picture.

faith restored.. partially. spot on.

Not sure how the fuck people put that performance in the awful bracket.

They are supposed to be one of of our main rivals this year, we won 1-0, Harper hardly had a save to make and they did not really put us under any real pressure - okay spells.

Some people on here need to wake up, we got relegated last season because a result like today was totally beyond our means. 

I personally think its a great performance.  Another clean sheet, an away win and we are top of the table.

We have an inbalanced squad and a very small one at that, with players out of natural position.  Give them a break for fuck sake.

Think that's just as much of an over-reaction tbh. We were very good as a team defensively today, but equally we didn't use the ball well when we had it. No one's arguing it wasn't a good result, but we could have executed the attack side of it a lot better, and by that I don't mean dominating the game, I just mean countering effectively. No harm in pointing that out is there?

I agree with everything you say except the first line :)  If Arsenal go to old trafford, score a goal - shut up shop and reduce manu to a few free kicks into the wall - that is considered a great result and performance. 

I just cannot see how we were awful today (as some have said) - you agree?

We were not world beaters, granted.  In the grand scheme of things - it was just what we needed. 

The difference with Arsenal going to Man U is they would sit back and look to hit on the counter, that I have no problem with. FWIW, I didn't think we were awful, like i said, from a defensive point of view it was a very disciplined performance.

I know where your coming from Binnsy but not sure I entirely agree. We didn't defend that well today. We gave far too many free kicks around the area, got sucked to the ball far too much and it was only because of the lack of quality up front that Cardiff didn't score.

It didn't help we didn't keep the ball as well as we have been doing today. We did in parts but far too often we just smashed the ball up field and invited pressure back on to the defence. One of our best qualities this season has been our work rate off the ball, that wasn't there today, we inivited pressure and we didn't defend from the front.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy. We didn't play well but won a game at one of the toughest places to go in the league. I just think we need to improve before we meet a team that actually burries a couple of these chances.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy. We didn't play well but won a game at one of the toughest places to go in the league. I just think we need to improve before we meet a team that actually burries a couple of these chances.

Next season at this rate.

I know where your coming from Binnsy but not sure I entirely agree. We didn't defend that well today. We gave far too many free kicks around the area, got sucked to the ball far too much and it was only because of the lack of quality up front that Cardiff didn't score.

It didn't help we didn't keep the ball as well as we have been doing today. We did in parts but far too often we just smashed the ball up field and invited pressure back on to the defence. One of our best qualities this season has been our work rate off the ball, that wasn't there today, we inivited pressure and we didn't defend from the front.

Our workrate was immense for the first 20-30 minutes and we hassled and chased everything. Shame it didnt last!

Looks like we can stay around the top and limp on till the Jan window where hopefully we have a new owner and the owner seals the deal with a few transfers, mainly attacking players.

Don't really fancy on having to rely on Carroll, Ranger and Vuckic when we don't have Ameobi or he stops scoring for too long.

Next season at this rate.

Yep, I thought before today we hadn't really come up against much of a test attacking wise but it seems this is it basically. That Matty Fryatt got a couple yesterday I think aswell, although it doesn't always look it our defence just seems FAR superior to anything else in this league and these strikers who will end the season with 25-30 goals just don't get a sniff.

That was possibly our weakest performance this season yet we come away from home against a team that will be there or thereabouts come May 2010 in the promotion chase with 3 points.  We will not play many better teams than Cardiff this season thats for sure. I am over the moon with that kind of win. Commentators laud all over Man Utd when they win like that. And as Oldtype mentioned we are without our 2 most influencial attacking players this season.

What a great start to the season, but supporting Newcastle I am waiting for the next disaster, you get the feeling that everything is going too well.

that's basically what you said to me when I declared my pessemism after the Boro game in April........

Sorry... did I say we were staying up or something? Please post the link where I have said, or implied, that everything was going to be OK.

s*** craic mate and full of fail.

Me expressing an opinion like everyone else that it was a lucky win has certainly got you exercised though. I would back off if i were you, one click of my fingers and Dave will delete you.

I got myself "exercised", did I? Is that why you started throwing needless insults?

It's obvious that you're one of those saddos on here (and on the internet) that care greatly about their "messageboard reputation". :rolleyes: Stop being so insecure and touchy.

What's with you and Dave, anyway? :lol:

i'll repeat the salient and long-term view that there is f*** all point in us winning this league  if we perform like that every week.

Eh? :lol: So you won't be happy if we get out of this league by winning ugly?

You're quoting Ronaldo and me but speaking to one person. Thick as mince, this all started because you assumed i didnt enjoy the win because i posted 'lucky win'. Which it was. It is therefore perfectly justifiable to call you stupid.

As for being a saddo, you're the one getting your knickers in a twist because i thought we were lucky to win. Which we were.

No, Einstein Jnr, I'm quoting you and ronaldo and speaking to two persons. Simple maths, c***.

Ronaldo wasnt speaking to you, so why ask him to quote you when he was speaking to me?

Been called a t*** and a c*** by you now and yet i'm right about your stupidity.

to be fair, regarding the Boro game I was speaking to him.

Fair enough, my mistake. I managed to get the idiot banned though :lol:

Guest Andover Bluebird

Thought you deserved to win today. You took the game to us in the first 20 minutes, got the goal and shut up shop. A very professional performance.  I thought the ref was a total pr1ck who was far too inconsistent. Booked Enrique for his first foul yet let Smith get away with numerous niggly fouls.  He could have awarded us at least 1 pen but he chose not too.

Well done to your fans. They helped to create a good atmosphere.

Good luck for the rest of the season-especially against our 2 inbred neighbours.  I'm sure if you keep your squad together you will walk promotion.

Very fair asessment mate.  :clap: The atmosphere today far outshone that at the "second city" derby earlier.

Atmosphere and the west midlands dont go together.  Brummies are the most miserable sounding bastards in the world..  Listening to talksport after the game-the villa fans sounded megga depressed.  

Good result of course, but still a bit frustrating, because we wasted a lot of possession.

Nolan seemed to have taken over Butt's role of hanging on to the ball too long and then playing a team mate into trouble. Guthrie couldn't find a role.

It seems a bit of a waste to have Barton wide left. He did okay, but he's our best passer and I'd like to see him more central asap.

On the bright side, I thought Ranger did very well considering he was having to make everything happen on his own. I just hope we get promoted this season, because otherwise we'll probably lose him.

Honestly don't think we've played well so far this season, which shows how poor the rest of this league is. It'd be nice to really spank a team, though.

agreed,  if im honest.

showed nothing going forward and always felt worried when cardiff attacked, felt nolan was especially poor.

but the teams that go up will be the teams that can get 3 points despite poor performances, so wont complain.

Good result of course, but still a bit frustrating, because we wasted a lot of possession.

Nolan seemed to have taken over Butt's role of hanging on to the ball too long and then playing a team mate into trouble. Guthrie couldn't find a role.

It seems a bit of a waste to have Barton wide left. He did okay, but he's our best passer and I'd like to see him more central asap.

On the bright side, I thought Ranger did very well considering he was having to make everything happen on his own. I just hope we get promoted this season, because otherwise we'll probably lose him.

For our best passer, Barton hardly found a team-mate all bloody match.