Newcastle United 3 - 1 Plymouth Argyle - 19/09/09 - post match reaction from p12

Nate

Carroll has the ability to be a Shearer for us in this league. Very exciting to have a young player showing so much potential. I think he can become a powerful force for us in years to come.

I've said this for a while, but it is probably expecting too much for either him or Ranger to play as a one-man strike force ; certainly, in home games, or games away which offer a reasonable chance of 3 points, they should be played in a 4-4-2 formation.

Was a shocker, boring game no atmosphere, stupid starting 11, Barton is a fkn disgrace to the shirt, the 2 subs changed it, Guthrie should replace Barton in the starting 11 and Ranger MUST start games.

Simpson injury in a blow, he gives his al and is a very decent player, hope he is okay.

Barton has been going through the motions for a few games - he really isn't interested because a player with his ability should be a major asset in this league ; best thing for both parties if he goes(at a time suitable to the club), and I think that WILL happen if Shearer ever takes over as manager.

I think if anything Bartons always trying to do to much tbh

Sounds like hes constantly trying to put in through balls & find one man upfront against 2/3 defenders & in most of these games hes been attempting to do it from the wing. No suprises that hes constantly the one losing possession. He needs to know when to just lay it off to someone else simply & when to go for that kind of pass.

Sounds like hes constantly trying to put in through balls & find one man upfront against 2/3 defenders & in most of these games hes been attempting to do it from the wing. No suprises that hes constantly the one losing possession. He needs to know when to just lay it off to someone else simply & when to go for that kind of pass.

i can understand a player playing out of position getting caught out positionally but no matter where you are playing you can make a 5yd movement to get in space,mark a man or pass to someone on your team when they are unmarked.

Yeah i'd kind of agree, Barton's problem for me is that he's always one step ahead. That wouldn't be an issue if he was playing in a good team in the Prem, but i wouldn't say we have a team full of footballing intellectuals. Whenever Barton loses the ball via a pass, it is never behind his intended target, it is always in front. Sometimes this is down to the quality of the ball, but sometimes it's actually the fault of the runner. Let's not forget he's had nothing to aim at all game in the way of pace, we've had no real wingers to run the line and Andy Carroll isn't really the type of striker to latch on to a clever through ball. He does however look a bit half-hearted but when it was 0-0 and 1-1 he was trying, he started the game brightly, and when the equalised he really did perk up. That makes me wonder as to why for those 50 minutes or so, he looked a totally different player. The only reasonable conclusions i can come up with are fitness, Hughton's tactics when we go 1 up (because all the players just seem to take the foot off the pedal) or is it complacency and arrogance? He is a very talented player, and while he's only really occasionally shone for us he has played some football that only some of our squad could dream of doing.

Steve Harper - 6 not a lot to do for much of the game

Danny Simpson - 6.5 was doing OK & linking well with Geremi on the right

Steven Taylor - 7 well taken goal, could have got another

Fabricio Coloccini - 6 steady(ish)

Jose Enrique - 6 could have done better for their goal

Geremi - with Simpson 7, without Simpson 5.  Started well but faded almost as soon as Simpson went off

Alan Smith - 6 broke up play OK but didn't support the attack well enough

Kevin Nolan - 7 better playing off the forward than playing in midfield

Joey Barton - 3 woeful

Peter Lovenkrands - 5 invisible for most of the time he was on the pitch, didn't really get the ball enough

Andy Carroll - 7 looked a hell of a lot better once Ranger came on, not at his best up front on his own

Danny Guthrie - 7.5 did everything that Barton didn't

Ryan Taylor - 6 nowt special

Nile Ranger - 7 linked up well with Carroll

Hughton - 6.5 dropped Butt

The Ref - 8 kept play going & wasn't scared to play advantages

Until the 2nd half subs the midfield was pretty poor.  They were so complacent, failing to push up to help out the attack often enough and too slow to offer an outlet for counter-attacks.  Can't wait till Jonas is back.

Yeah i'd kind of agree, Barton's problem for me is that he's always one step ahead. That wouldn't be an issue if he was playing in a good team in the Prem, but i wouldn't say we have a team full of footballing intellectuals. Whenever Barton loses the ball via a pass, it is never behind his intended target, it is always in front. Sometimes this is down to the quality of the ball, but sometimes it's actually the fault of the runner. Let's not forget he's had nothing to aim at all game in the way of pace, we've had no real wingers to run the line and Andy Carroll isn't really the type of striker to latch on to a clever through ball. He does however look a bit half-hearted but when it was 0-0 and 1-1 he was trying, he started the game brightly, and when the equalised he really did perk up. That makes me wonder as to why for those 50 minutes or so, he looked a totally different player. The only reasonable conclusions i can come up with are fitness, Hughton's tactics when we go 1 up (because all the players just seem to take the foot off the pedal) or is it complacency and arrogance? He is a very talented player, and while he's only really occasionally shone for us he has played some football that only some of our squad could dream of doing.

Barton was complete crap though, to say he's one step ahead of the team and so its partly their fault is a complete insult.  He can't rethink his passes?  You think if Xavi was in our team we'd be saying the same things? No.  Barton needs to pull his finger out because at the moment he's up there with Butt as our worst midfielder.

Plus Barton has only played about three good games in the PL, why couldn't he thread decent balls through for Owen (or Martins or Viduka)? It's not the fault of his teammates and the buck stops with him ultimately.

Barton was complete crap though, to say he's one step ahead of the team and so its partly their fault is a complete insult.  He can't rethink his passes?  You think if Xavi was in our team we'd be saying the same things? No.  Barton needs to pull his finger out because at the moment he's up there with Butt as our worst midfielder.

Plus Barton has only played about three good games in the PL, why couldn't he thread decent balls through for Owen (or Martins or Viduka)? It's not the fault of his teammates and the buck stops with him ultimately.

So you think yesterday that none of his passes could have been read slightly better? I remember him playing a one-two yesterday after a corner iirc and it was the right idea, but the intended receiver (Ryan Taylor?) didn't budge and it went out and Barton got the blame. Barton is a creative midfielder who DOES thread good through balls, Lovenkrands when he was called marginally offside yesterday was put through by Barton for example. I'm not suggesting that he wasn't sloppy, he was in areas, but some of our movement is terrible. The example of Xavi would in fact would strengthen my point because people seem to forget that Xavi was hardly setting the world alight until Ronaldinho showed up, he wouldn't be half as good if he wasn't playing with the likes of Messi, Henry, Bojan, Ibra etc. Imagine Xavi trying to pick out Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan.

So you think yesterday that none of his passes could have been read slightly better? I remember him playing a one-two yesterday after a corner iirc and it was the right idea, but the intended receiver (Ryan Taylor?) didn't budge and it went out and Barton got the blame. Barton is a creative midfielder who DOES thread good through balls, Lovenkrands when he was called marginally offside yesterday was put through by Barton for example. I'm not suggesting that he wasn't sloppy, he was in areas, but some of our movement is terrible. The example of Xavi would in fact would strengthen my point because people seem to forget that Xavi was hardly setting the world alight until Ronaldinho showed up, he wouldn't be half as good if he wasn't playing with the likes of Messi, Henry, Bojan, Ibra etc. Imagine Xavi trying to pick out Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan.

I sure Barton would be better around better players but if he's as good as everyone seems to think he should be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate still.  His teammates aren't superstars but the opposition is woeful.  I wouldn't be that bothered by his mistakes either if he tried hard but his workrate is non-existant these days.

Geremi - with Simpson 7, without Simpson 5.  Started well but faded almost as soon as Simpson went off

Joey Barton - 3 woeful

Peter Lovenkrands - 5 invisible for most of the time he was on the pitch, didn't really get the ball enough

Andy Carroll - 7 looked a hell of a lot better once Ranger came on, not at his best up front on his own

Until the 2nd half subs the midfield was pretty poor.  They were so complacent, failing to push up to help out the attack often enough and too slow to offer an outlet for counter-attacks.  Can't wait till Jonas is back.

Nolan and Simpson better than Coloccini? Honestly, says it all

I sure Barton would be better around better players but if he's as good as everyone seems to think he should be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate still.  His teammates aren't superstars but the opposition is woeful.  I wouldn't be that bothered by his mistakes either if he tried hard but his workrate is non-existant these days.

I agree his general work rate is poor and he looks demotivated when we're winning, but they all look like that when we go 1 up, we go into cruise control. Like i said earlier when they equalised they all stepped up a bit, including Barton, but he's being singled out for having had just as lazy performance as the rest of them, the only difference is, they redeemed themselves for the last 20 and i bet he would of too.

Joey Barton - 3 woeful

Coloccini did his job fine, but he didn't do a lot else.

Not sure if you noticed, but Nolan scored.

Joey Barton - 3 woeful

What else would you be hoping for him to do, out of interest? :lol:

Joey Barton - 3 woeful

Join the attack, possibly score, you know, like his defensive partner did?

Coloccini did everything he was asked of, but he wasn't really called on to do much more and didn't really stand out during the game.

Joey Barton - 3 woeful

Join the attack, possibly score, you know, like his defensive partner did?

Coloccini did everything he was asked of, but he wasn't really called on to do much more and didn't really stand out during the game.

:lol:

Even Bobby Moncur mentioned Colo as motm behind Carroll, he looked a touch of class yesterday

So he should for what we are paying him.

Genuine question Ronaldo, what is it with Colocinni that makes you rate him so highly? I agree yesterday thought he was the better of the two central defenders, just you defend him to the hilt, even last year when he was absolute rubbish for a lot of the time.

Even Bobby Moncur mentioned Colo as motm behind Carroll, he looked a touch of class yesterday

So he should for what we are paying him.

Genuine question Ronaldo, what is it with Colocinni that makes you rate him so highly? I agree yesterday thought he was the better of the two central defenders, just you defend him to the hilt, even last year when he was absolute rubbish for a lot of the time.

Don't know about Ronaldo, but I know for my part while I can see he's got weaknesses, there's some parts of his game that I really like. He's generally a decent marker, pretty good in the tackle and while he's not worth what we paid, he's not half as bad as some people like to make out. Sometimes I end up sticking up for him just to add some balance.

If people stop listening to what the likes of Lawrenson says about Coloccini and actually watch him, you can see that he's a good player (albeit not in the £10m bracket).

Yesterday he showed far better aerial ability than he had last season, every header he won was at the right time and he got the balance right between just heading it out for a corner or throw in and heading it to the keeper or another team mate.

Saw the goals before on telly (sitting in the Gallowgate gave me a fairly poor view of the first one) and the amount of space Taylor has to stoop and score is obscene. It's said time and time again but the gap in quality is ocean wide between this standard and the Premier League.