Ipswich Town 0 - 4 Newcastle United - 26/09/09 - post match reaction from p24

Dave

Ronaldo still having a go at Ranger I see.

Why does he desperately need a goal?  He's playing well, contributing and we're scoring.  If he was playing, not scoring and the team weren't scoring either I'd be worried.  At the moment I think he's doing really well, the goals will obviously come, he's got confidence and is a good player (especially for this league).

Good game, only drawbacks were the injury and Ranger chance, if he scores that he potentially opens flood gates for himself. Kish looked very solid better at fullback but still, Nolan fantastic and Butt did a job. And to think people said we'd lose..

Why does he desperately need a goal?  He's playing well, contributing and we're scoring.  If he was playing, not scoring and the team weren't scoring either I'd be worried.  At the moment I think he's doing really well, the goals will obviously come, he's got confidence and is a good player (especially for this league).

Because it looks very much like he may score a good few goals just as soon as he gets the first one.

Guest firetotheworks

Excellent (and slightly unexpected) performance even though Ipswich were pish. Can only beat what is put in front of you. I thought Keane would have had them up for this today, but they just fell apart after the first goal. Nolan MoM today, but everyone played well despite Enrique with a couple of brainstorms that could have been costly. Thought Carroll and Ranger put themselves about really well and Ipswich just couldn't cope with the power, height and pace.

Bring on QPR on Weds - more of the same please. Only hope those who picked up knocks are fit. Suspect Coloccini and Ryan Taylor may be out of a few weeks though.

Oh - and Keane getting dogs abuse off the Ipswich fans as he walked back along the touchline at full time.  :coolsmiley:

You know you're doing badly when even your own dog's turned against you.

Agreed. He's proving a handful for opposition defenders and is getting closer. Today was the most positive I've seen him in front of goal. The production will come in time.

Harewood will probably replace him though.

When and where have I ever had a go at Ranger?

he's a good propsect who isn't ready to be starting up front yet

What did you mean when you said he desperately needs a goal?

Sat there the entire game with a wide smile on my face. We absolutely bossed them in every department. Nolan and Ranger the pick of the players for me. Zurab looks solid and Harewood looks like he will do well.

Harper - 7 - Actually had nothing to do today. But he gets a 7 because he's cool.

Khizanishvili - 7 - Decent first performance. Not spectacular, but did nothing wrong of note

Taylor - 7 - Another typical Taylor performance. Calm and comfortable on the ball.

Colocinni - 6.5 - A decent show from him, looked shaky again from time to time but on the whole alright.

Enrique - 7 - Made a few mistakes today like, very untypical of him, but the guy is clearly class and way above this league

R. Taylor - 7 - Good goal, few decent crosses into the box. Drifted inside too much for my liking, especially for being the only 'winger' on the pitch

Butt - 6.5 - Meh. Still fucking hate seeing him on the team, but he made a few decent passes. Still makes silly challenges and decisions though. Shouldn't be captain.

Smith - 7 - Decent performance, nothing much of note.

Nolan - 9 - MOTM - His best performance for us, regardless of the fact he was playing against a shit Ipswich side. Looked dangerous in front of goal, took all his goals well and commanded the team.

Carroll - 6.5 - An off-Carroll performance. Not really in the game much in the second half, no real chances on goal of note, but did nowt wrong either.

Ranger - 8 - The first time I've seen Ranger play and actually thought he could score. On another day, or with a bit more belief, he'd have buried one of those chances today. Unlucky to be subbed off :thup:

Subs:

Lovenkrands - 6 - Meh. Don't remember much about him, barely got involved. Game was over by the time he came on

Harewood - 7 - Very impressed with his short appearance. Looked comfortable on the ball, took his chance well and may well have scored on another day, could be decent for us.

Donaldson - 6 - Not on enough time to make an impact, looked confident on the ball though.

I think this season we'll give one or two real tankings...and by that I mean 6 or 7-0s.

If we had the likes of Enrique, Taylor, Jonas, Guthrie, Carroll, Harewood, Barton going at full steam ahead, fully fit, fully up for it - every single game... we'd absolutely kill this league and rape its mangled corpse. There's far too many wank teams in this division. If we can go to Ipswich and hammer them 4-0 at a canter, then there's no reason why we shouldn't annihilate a few others. But it doesn't always work out like that, for varying reasons, and i can't really see us putting 6 or 7 past anyone. If only for the fact we're more likely to reach a certain scoreline and then sit back and contain for the remainder of the respective match.

Very comfortable win against what seemed an inexperienced side. Zurab played well so I'm not that bothered about Colo's injury. He might bring some composure to a defence that still looks a bit jittery. Ranger's starting to use his strength and looks better with every game. And it makes such a difference having a player in the anchor position that can pass the ball.

But I've got to have a blast at Enrique, who nearly gave two goals away out of nothing. He really does make some stupid decisions on the ball.

We just went in with the right mentality. Hughtons line up wasnt perfection, but it was positive and thats why it worked. We have the ability to piss on all of these sides at ease & dominate games, we have to go into games thinking like that.

What did you mean when you said he desperately needs a goal?

I said he 'badly' needs a goal. How is that having a go at him?

He's looked good for his age but has now started a fair few games without scoring, this isn't really a good thing.

Guest firetotheworks

My look on it

Harper - 6

Kitchenvillage - 7

S.Taylor - 7

Colocinni - 6

Enrique - 6.5

Smith - 7.5

Butt - 5

R.Taylor - 8

Nolan - 9

Carrol - 7.5

Ranger - 8

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper- 6- Didn't have much to do

Khizanishvili- 7- Looked comfortable on the ball and solid defensively

Taylor- 7- Solid

Coloccini- 7- Solid

Enrique- 6- Good for the most part bar a few sloppy mistakes

R.Taylor- 7- Good goal, some good crosses, hope the injury isn't too serious

Smith- 8- Solid. Gave good protection to the back four

Butt- 6- Didn't do too bad. Some nice passes but gave away some sloppy free kicks

Nolan- 9- Excellent. Looked good in front of goal and deserved his hat-trick

Carroll- 7- Decent performance, won a lot in the air

Ranger- 8- Excellent hold up play, unlucky not to score but his all round display was immense

Subs-

Harewood- 7- Looked sharp and had a good effort on goal

Lovenkrands- 6- Looked sharp and quick but didn't have time to do anything

Donaldson- 6- Didn't see too much but had good composure on the ball

Defensively we were rock solid today, and that's not just the back four, but right throughout the team. Ipswich passed it about better for 25 mins or so without really threatening, but we gradually kicked the fuck out of them. Butt was still passing to the opposition sometimes but otherwise it was a great team performance, one which will make other teams really nervous about playing us I reckon.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

My look on it

Harper - 6

Kitchenvillage - 7

S.Taylor - 7

Colocinni - 6

Enrique - 6.5

Smith - 7.5

Butt - 5

R.Taylor - 8

Nolan - 9

Carrol - 7.5

Ranger - 8

C'mon Butt wasn't that bad. Compared to his usual performances he was OK tonight.

My look on it

Harper - 6

Kitchenvillage - 7

S.Taylor - 7

Colocinni - 6

Enrique - 6.5

Smith - 7.5

Butt - 5

R.Taylor - 8

Nolan - 9

Carrol - 7.5

Ranger - 8

C'mon Butt wasn't that bad. Compared to his usual performances he was OK tonight.

Aye his passing was shocking but he broke play up well. For both teams.