Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2012/09/14/dean-richards-what-would-a-premier-league-tinged-with-a-little-self-doubt-look-like/

But it’s not overly optimistic to believe that that position is reconcilable with a tinge of self-doubt, connected to things like: empathy, logic, awareness of consequences—is it?

Even if it didn’t work really well, it’d mix things up. The branding with doubt mixed in would be ace: “The Premier League: Maybe the best league in the world, but it’d be pretty presumptuous to say either way. We like it, but, I mean, we’re obviously biased. Try all the leagues for yourself and then decide. Take your time as well.”

Or: “Join us for Super Sunday! Oh, we can’t guarantee that it’ll be super because that’s obviously a subjective measure, never mind that quite often a lot of the games shown on Super Sunday are nobody’s idea of ‘super.’ We’ll try our best with it, that’s what we can guarantee. Or if not our best best, at least the best we feel we can offer at the time.”

And seeing players playing without the usual level of self assurance might make for an improvement too. The Nani who doesn’t believe that he always does the right thing might realise that some extra minutes working on beating the first man with corners would make him a better player. Michael Owen might see that he should retire and never be seen again. There are quite a few intriguing possibilities with this. Admittedly The Fernando Torres Experiment, an early forerunner in the battle to bring doubt into the Premier League, didn’t go well in any recognisable footballing sense of the word, but nobody could deny that it was funny to see him miss all of those chances for at least the first six months.

Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool with always be 'The Big 4' no matter how far some of them fall away, Man City have bought their way into that.

Depressing but unlikely to ever change.

How do you think Chelsea got there? :lol: Liverpool are no longer classed as being in the 'big 4' anymore, in my opinion.

I've wittered on here before that for better or worse I live five minutes away from Old Trafford. After the games today, I wanted to collect my winnings from Ladbrokes so walked passed the stadium after their game v Wigan just before 6pm.

In a nutshell: fucking weird. Endless scores of Japanese/Korean tourists with replica shirts and massive cameras, loads of foreign accents with one Scandanavanian stopping me for directions, bored looking dads with kids, blokes brandishing megastore bags and criminally friendship scarves. Best of all, THREE full kit wankers (one I noted had proper AstroTurf trainers on too :lol:)

It's daft to say that Man Utd fans are all glory hunters as there's a hell of a lot of locals support them (the hoodies and bad haircuts give them away) but fucking hell there's an awful lot of muppets turn up. Unlike any other home supports in the country and that's not a good thing either.

Oh and their new home kit is a complete mess. Tablecloth.

The captain of a Premier League club has called for football’s top stars to have their wages capped.

Reading skipper Jobi McAnuff believes astronomical salaries are ­contributing to families being priced out of watching ­football and youngsters becoming money-obsessed. “I can see why a Wayne Rooney should get a big bonus because of the amount of shirts he sells,” said McAnuff.

“But if you’re talking about £200,000-a-week, that’s ­ridiculous. Who needs that amount of money? Surely, someone will say ‘that’s enough’.

“We’re on the verge of ­getting out of control and we’re ­starting to lose a bit of reality.

“The most popular question I get from kids is ‘what car do you drive?’ What happened to them wanting to know what it was like to make your debut?

“Football is getting too ­expensive for fans and fans make football. Tickets for our game at Chelsea were £50 each. I know lots of people who couldn’t afford that.” McAnuff has shown his commitment to inner city causes by setting up an ­academy for youngsters in Tottenham, where he grew up. He aims to help kids from tough backgrounds make the grade in sport.

Top Job: Reading captain on mission to help Tottenham kids affected by riots  

He's spot on

I like the "How highly do you rate him?" idea Beren. Personally think it would be worth a thread with a little poll, maybe with the thread title and player changing weekly.

:thup: Sounds good.

So long as we never pick Defoe as the player to discuss.

I like the "How highly do you rate him?" idea Beren. Personally think it would be worth a thread with a little poll, maybe with the thread title and player changing weekly.

:thup: Sounds good.

So long as we never pick Defoe as the player to discuss.

May I recommend you start the first thread on Il Rei di Roma  :snod: , I love him but he seems a player like Ibrahimovic that always divides opinion in this country.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18100000/Francesco-Totti-francesco-totti-18115595-407-594.jpg