Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Derby: The Rams have handed a trial to Blue Square North club Blyth's midfielder Mark Doninger, who was released by Newcastle in the summer.

http://www.teletext.co.uk/football/news/666468618c002280cabc7d3bf0099a19/News+in+brief.aspx

Btw , the end is nearly here for teletext services for ITV, Channel 4 and 5. It will cease to broadcast on 14th December  :no:

Used to be my first port of call for football news in the morning before I could get Sky sports news.

Former Football League chairman Keith Harris, the financier most often at the centre of the buying and selling of football clubs, is writing a book about his experiences. Harris, who won’t be using a ghost writer, knows more about the dysfunctional inside workings of clubs like Mike Ashley’s Newcastle than anyone. And during a turbulent time as FL chairman, he had to cope with plenty of flak from Dragons’ Den’s Theo Paphitis and others.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1234923/Charles-Sale-Award-twice-lifetime-golfing-iconoclast-Seve-Ballesteros.html#ixzz0ZPi1vaRJ

With Ashton (The next Shearer :mackems:) quiting it made think of other players who left the game earlier than expected:

Stan Collymore (Dogging expert)

Shane Supple (quit Ipswich this season at the age of 22)

Robert Enke (Dead good goalkeeper)

Sebastian Deisler (One time rated as the future of German football he quit at 27)

Paul Elliott (x-Chelsea)

Who else is there?

Winsper quits Toronto FC to work for Nike

Fitness guru Paul Winsper is leaving his job as strength and conditioning coach of Toronto FC for a new position with Nike, the Englishman confirmed to CBCSports.ca on Friday.

Winsper, who is under contract to the MLS club until Dec. 31, said he and his family will be moving in January to Oregon, where he will serve as sports performance director for Nike.

Nike's world headquarters are in Beaverton.

Winsper, 43, said Toronto FC offered him a two-year contract extension, but the job offer from Nike that they first made to him in the summer was just too good to pass up.

"It's an unbelievable job offer that I can't really turn down. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for me," Winsper told CBCSports.ca.

Winsper, who told Toronto FC general manager of his decision to leave on Wednesday, added '"it was time to move on and try something else."

He said there was "absolutely no hard feelings" between himself and the soccer club. He also described his new position with Nike as a "dream job."

"There's only one position like this in the world, whereas there are a lot of fitness coaches in professional sports," Winsper stated.

"Nike has set up a new division called SPARQ, which is their training arm. I'll be working with teams from all over the world as a training resource for coaches. … It's going to be a global resource for all different sports."

Winsper already had a relationship with the athletic-wear company as a consultant.

"I've been working for Nike for three years, and Toronto FC have been absolutely fantastic about that. They've allowed me to travel all over the globe with Nike, even during the MLS season," Winsper explained.

The loss of Winsper is a big blow for Toronto FC, as the Englishman was a well-liked and respected figure who had a reputation for pushing players in gruelling training and workout sessions that he designed.

He joined Toronto FC prior to the start of the 2008 MLS campaign, having spent the previous 10 seasons with Newcastle United of the English Premiership where he served as the team's fitness coach.

Thanks players

With his hometown club, he worked with some of the game's biggest stars, including Michael Owen and Alan Shearer. He also worked with England star David Beckham before he joined the Los Angeles Galaxy from Real Madrid in 2007.

Winsper said he, his wife and eight-year-old son Harry will be leaving Canada with heavy hearts.

"It's quite sad because my family and I absolutely love it here in Canada," Winsper said.

"We moved here and had a wonderful time, but this is a permanent job for life with Nike and I've worked contractually for pro sports clubs for many years, and now I think is the time to settle down a bit and get a permanent position."

When word of his pending departure filtered through the halls of BMO Field on Friday, he instantly received a slew of text messages and emails from Toronto FC players.

That meant a lot to the Newcastle native.

"I want to say a huge thanks to the players because they motivated me every day and work hard. They're a great bunch of professionals," Winsper said.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php?action=post;topic=64846.180;num_replies=207

When Souey was here Winsper was nothing more than the bibs & cones man :yikes:

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Barnes-Rams-contract-cancelled/article-1599510-detail/article.html

"GILES Barnes has had his contract cancelled at Derby County by mutual consent.

The club and the player have reached an agreement which ends the 21-year-olds involvement with the Rams.

He is now free to find himself another club but is not eligible to play until the January transfer window opens.

Barnes made 95 appearances for the Rams and scored 13 goals.

He has been unavailable for long spells in the last two-and-a-half years due to a number of injuries."

sorry if its been posted

Wednesday have sacked Brian Laws.

Good news for us or bad news?

Bad news - new manager could well hit a honeymoon period in time for boxing day.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Barnes-Rams-contract-cancelled/article-1599510-detail/article.html

The club and the player have reached an agreement which ends the 21-year-olds involvement with the Rams.

He is now free to find himself another club but is not eligible to play until the January transfer window opens.

He has been unavailable for long spells in the last two-and-a-half years due to a number of injuries."

sorry if its been posted

Thought Giles Barnes was meant to be a very promising player?

Guest Heneage

Bad news - new manager could well hit a honeymoon period in time for boxing day.

Aye, that was my thinking.

What managers are available though?

Rafa?

Keegan

Can't really decide that until we see who they replace him with. He's a decent enough manager, I reckon he'd have kept them up this year.

sorry if its been posted

Thought Giles Barnes was meant to be a very promising player?

He Is/was, Would do wonders for Southampton  IMO, They've got a great system for kicking that attidude out, It's all the clean air down here... unless you're dutty....

Guest Heneage

Rafa?

Ha ha ha...

But seriously, any manager that comes in will have 4-5 days assuming he gets put in Tuesday, then he has a Swansea team in good form, followed by us. It's good news he's gone tbh.

Ferguson. Burley.

Can't think of anyone else.

Ferguson. Burley.

KK, JFK & Shearer & that just our x-managers from last season.

Ferguson. Burley.

That would go to Wed.

just saw on SSN that mackem stewards appear to be under a bit of criticism.  Pompey fans all flocked forward after Kabouls goal (admittedly he was a bit of a tit for running right up to the hoardings), one hoarding was knocked down as they surged and a fan fell over.  Another fan tried to help him up but 2 stewards intervened, tackled the bloke, were quite forceful with him, he struggled, and they pinned him down.  They got him to his feet and a policeman came to take charge, and wagged his finger at one of the stewards and sent him walking.

From the footage SSN showed it appears the stewards were using that degree force just for kicks, and didn't even notice the fan on the floor vunerable to being stood on.

Ferguson. Burley.

That would go to Wed.

I reckon Al & JFK would go.