Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

I'd like to see NUST release something about the upcoming CAT case.  Especially as they've been contributing to the fan led review on football governance. 

Feels like a perfect opportunity to put some subtle pressure out there about how the CAT case jurisdiction challenge from the PL embodies the lack of transparency that all football fans are craving to see the end of, especially moreso now that UEFA have dropped their case against the remaining ESL clubs. 

Fair and something I can ask :thup:

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Are you mad? How can they possibly find time for that when they need to phone Jan about someone’s ticket for Wolves?

Between that and speaking once to Tracey Crouch six months ago, they’re pretty canned until 2024.

You seem to have a canny bee in your bonnet like. What's pissed you off so much about the trust? I mean, they're just volunteers after all... 

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I respect your love for the club Heron and think you are definitely fighting the good fight, but my issue will always be that members go to games, I just can’t square those two things together. 

I feel that if an organization is purported to be about the welfare of the club, then they simply can’t have members giving money to the man who ripping it apart. It doesn’t make any sense 

The debate about matchgoers goes around in circles tbh but those who go don't see it as you do or others on here do as in: paying for ticket = supporting Ashley or facilitating the ruination of the club. They see it as still NUFC and want to go and support the team on the pitch without seeing much beyond that, despite many knowing about what's happened to the club in the last 14 years. The Ashley era to them will go down to them as another shite period just like 1977-82 was, or like the most of 1984-91 was. Other supporters of other clubs think this way of thinking as bizarre; Grand Old Team thought so at least anyway and others I've personally spoken too don't understand either.

Whilst any club in English football is at PL level, a boycott is a pipe dream. Why people on here get so wound up about it I find bizarre tbh, I've already accepted that it just won't happen and that our fanbase as a collective is far too piss weak with getting things organised and literally always has been. Attendances will really fall if the club goes down, just like they did in the late 70s and after going down in '89 pre-Keegan. 

14 minutes ago, Heron said:

You seem to have a canny bee in your bonnet like. What's pissed you off so much about the trust? I mean, they're just volunteers after all... 

I think you're right to point out that they are volunteers, but that just makes wasting the limited time they can dedicate to the trust on "the pledge" even more frustrating.

Two years spent planning something which pretty much has zero chance of success. I get that charities will benefit (at some future date that no one seems willing to commit to) and while that's admirable, it's really not the purpose of the pledge or indeed the Trust. 

42 minutes ago, Heron said:

I actually agree with most of this and you've echoed some of the sentiments I have. Fan engagement is my main concern and I feel it should be our priority and actually a given.

The Trust does get a lot of small wins that people don't see though, and I feel they should share these through regular engagement with fans. I think they come in for some unjust stick sometimes though. Stuff like the above is at least constructive.

I'd say making what they have through the pledge is pretty fantastic too. It may be a pipe dream, but every journey starts somewhere. 

Is that not a massive problem? An organisation allegedly there as a voice for the fans, which doesn’t communicate with the fans?

I’ll answer that question myself. It is a problem. That’s one of the biggest problems with the Trust.

They don’t communicate for a good reason. They’re not interested in what their members want, they’re interested in what they want.

I’ve tried to engage with them on multiple occasions, as a member and as not. I’ve offered support, ideas, constructive criticism and have been ignored every single time.

36 minutes ago, Heron said:

I’ve been quite clear on this frequently so won’t draw over it again. However, it’s abundantly clear that those at the head of the Trust are only there for self promotion.

They may be volunteers, but they are only interested in having a pedestal to stand on.

That is evidenced through the fact they have achieved absolutely nothing to date, despite three years ago promising big things.

The bee in my bonnet is the fact the Trust could have, and should have, achieved a lot more and their lack of action is partly to blame for Ashley still being here. 

Edited by Fantail Breeze

2 hours ago, Heron said:

Fair and something I can ask :thup:

That's fair play, Heron. :thup:

I would say though that the more pertinent question for the trust is why aren't these opportunities being identified and exploited in the first place? 

Edited by Thumbheed

13 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The debate about matchgoers goes around in circles tbh but those who go don't see it as you do or others on here do as in: paying for ticket = supporting Ashley or facilitating the ruination of the club. They see it as still NUFC and want to go and support the team on the pitch without seeing much beyond that, despite many knowing about what's happened to the club in the last 14 years. The Ashley era to them will go down to them as another shite period just like 1977-82 was, or like the most of 1984-91 was. Other supporters of other clubs think this way of thinking as bizarre; Grand Old Team thought so at least anyway and others I've personally spoken too don't understand either.

Whilst any club in English football is at PL level, a boycott is a pipe dream. Why people on here get so wound up about it I find bizarre tbh, I've already accepted that it just won't happen and that our fanbase as a collective is far too piss weak with getting things organised and literally always has been. Attendances will really fall if the club goes down, just like they did in the late 70s and after going down in '89 pre-Keegan. 

It’s impossible to justify buying a ticket like. The ‘support the team’ excuse falls on death ears when our fans spend more time booing and moaning than supporting.

What is it they are supporting? The club openly says it has no ambition. The club doesn’t want to succeed. Would you go horse racing and bet on or cheer on a horse that tells you it doesn’t want to win? 

Other supporters don’t understand it because they’re fortunate enough to not be in this situation. 15 years ago did I think I would be boycotting my own club? No.

If you spoke with Coventry fans, Blackpool fans, Leyton Orient fans etc. you might find out that they all unsurprisingly completely get it.

I think you’re wrong that a boycott is impossible. It’s certainly more achievable for the Trust to ensure is well organised, rather than wasted energy in schemes like the pledge. Ashley literally had to give away 10,000 tickets, people are and were accepting a boycott is required.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

9 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s impossible to justify buying a ticket like. The ‘support the team’ excuse falls on death ears when our fans spend more time booing and moaning than supporting.

What is it they are supporting? The club openly says it has no ambition. The club doesn’t want to succeed. Would you go horse racing and bet on or cheer on a horse that tells you it doesn’t want to win? 

Other supporters don’t understand it because they’re fortunate enough to not be in this situation. 15 years ago did I think I would be boycotting my own club? No.

If you spoke with Coventry fans, Blackpool fans, Leyton Orient fans etc. you might find out that they all unsurprisingly completely get it.

I think you’re wrong that a boycott is impossible. It’s certainly more achievable for the Trust to ensure is well organised, rather than wasted energy in schemes like the pledge. Ashley literally had to give away 10,000 tickets, people are and were accepting a boycott is required.

To you it's not, no. TBF the ground has sounded like it's been anti Bruce and pro team for the games this season which is hardly the booing and moaning as seen in seasons gone by when fans have been in. If that's any saving grace.

Newcastle United. It still is exactly that to them. This is just another shit period to them as mentioned before, the club didn't want to succeed when we constantly sold our best players under McKeag in the 80s as selling you best players would suggest. It's just another one of those.

Fair enough.

It is when the club is in the PL. Stuff has been attempted to be organised by United Supporters For Change, Ashley Out, Magpie Group, If Rafa Goes We Go, Toon For Change; why would the Trust be any different? And the fall in attendances wasn't due to an organised boycott, it was few walking away due to anger at Benitez leaving. We saw pretty much the exactly the same attendances in 2019-20 pre-free ticket as we did in 2010-11, regularly over 42,000, which is not enough of a statement as people keep pointing out on here.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, Heron said:

I think the Trust needs to be more vocal in its successes without losing modesty. It's about recognising areas that can be approved as well as areas that have all ready had successes and allowing transparency. 

I definitely think the Trust could afford to be more vocal, especially on the bigger issues which all the fans are united on, but the challenge they'll face and will always face is that any wins they might have are affectively meaningless whilst Ashley is still the owner and that's a theme that runs through the entire club. 

Edited by Thumbheed

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

To you it's not, no. TBF the ground has sounded like it's been anti Bruce and pro team for the games this season which is hardly the booing and moaning as seen in seasons gone by when fans have been in. If that's any saving grace.

Newcastle United. It still is exactly that to them. This is just another shit period to them as mentioned before, the club didn't want to succeed when we constantly sold our best players under McKeag in the 80s as selling you best players would suggest. It's just another one of those.

Fair enough.

It is when the club is in the PL. Stuff has been attempted to be organised by United Supporters For Change, Ashley Out, Magpie Group, If Rafa Goes We Go, Toon For Change; why would the Trust be any different? And the fall in attendances wasn't due to an organised boycott, it was few walking away due to anger at Benitez leaving. We saw pretty much the exactly the same attendances in 2019-20 pre-free ticket as we did in 2010-11, regularly over 42,000, which is not enough of a statement as people keep pointing out on here.

I’ll take your word for that, as you’ve been there and I haven’t. 

The difference between the 80s and now is the club are actively telling the fans it doesn’t want to succeed. It’s not even hiding it. Selling your best players doesn’t equal not wanting to succeed.

Leicester have continually sold their best players, but have also improved year on year - because they want to.

I’m sorry, but those attending are stubborn or wanting to prove themselves as the biggest sewpafan. There’s no other fathomable reason for it. Either way, they’re actively harming the club.

Ashley is literally saying “give me your money, I won’t spend it on the club, I don’t want the club to succeed and I’ll dismantle your club piece by piece in the process” and people think, “oh shit, better go down and cheer on 11 blokes who won’t even care about the club when their contracts end”.

The club is bigger than the players on the pitch, the idiot in the dugout or the tosser in the boardroom. One season of not attending matches (which people coped with through Covid), would probably be the only sacrifice needed to ensure there is a club there for you  and your family to follow in the future.

I suppose it’s a bit like climate change, people don’t care because it doesn’t affect their own day to day life. 

The difference between those groups and the Trust are those groups don’t have 15k paying members. Those groups don’t have the media contacts. Those groups don’t have the loud enough voice.

I wasn’t suggesting the 10,000 free tickets was because of a boycott. I was suggesting it was an indication a boycott is more achievable.

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I’ll take your word for that, as you’ve been there and I haven’t. 

The difference between the 80s and now is the club are actively telling the fans it doesn’t want to succeed. It’s not even hiding it. Selling your best players doesn’t equal not wanting to succeed.

Leicester have continually sold their best players, but have also improved year on year - because they want to.

I’m sorry, but those attending are stubborn or wanting to prove themselves as the biggest sewpafan. There’s no other fathomable reason for it. Either way, they’re actively harming the club.

Ashley is literally saying “give me your money, I won’t spend it on the club, I don’t want the club to succeed and I’ll dismantle your club piece by piece in the process” and people think, “oh shit, better go down and cheer on 11 blokes who won’t even care about the club when their contracts end”.

The club is bigger than the players on the pitch, the idiot in the dugout or the tosser in the boardroom. One season of not attending matches (which people coped with through Covid), would probably be the only sacrifice needed to ensure there is a club there for you  and your family to follow in the future.

I suppose it’s a bit like climate change, people don’t care because it doesn’t affect their own day to day life. 

The difference between those groups and the Trust are those groups don’t have 15k paying members. Those groups don’t have the media contacts. Those groups don’t have the loud enough voice.

I wasn’t suggesting the 10,000 free tickets was because of a boycott. I was suggesting it was an indication a boycott is more achievable.

For one, I haven't been. Not gone since May 2019. I'm seen in a few people's eyes on here stretching back to some last season as someone who still goes, when I'm not. Just want to clear that up. :lol: 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I know and understand the bulk of this post. I'm just trying to see it from people who continue to go's POV. And I don't agree with a bit of what's said about them on this board. It gets toxic and quite frankly it's part of the reason why I've attempted not coming on here anymore, which tends to never last for long as I love NUFC and need somewhere to talk/vent about it. :lol: 

Matchgoers tend to be obstinate. People who demand matchgoers to stop are the same tbh. It's an impasse and I don't think it'll ever be resolved whilst the club is still in the PL.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I personally would like match going fans to boycott all Sky games and/or games vs the big 6 but it's never really going to happen and as much as it frustrates and annoys me, the match going fans are the ones preserving a chance of the club being sold in the top flight, in my opinion. Despite the fact I don't think Ashley is a willing seller or the Saudis will take us over. We're just stuck in limbo and it's utter shite.

1 hour ago, Joey Linton said:

I think you're right to point out that they are volunteers, but that just makes wasting the limited time they can dedicate to the trust on "the pledge" even more frustrating.

Two years spent planning something which pretty much has zero chance of success. I get that charities will benefit (at some future date that no one seems willing to commit to) and while that's admirable, it's really not the purpose of the pledge or indeed the Trust. 

I see your point and I am of the view that our priority is fan engagement and engaging with the community. I actually think it shouldn't be a priority though, it should just be our fundamental base line, but that's just my views.

It's important people try to get involved though and help shape what the trust does, is and can achieve :thup:

Is that not a massive problem? An organisation allegedly there as a voice for the fans, which doesn’t communicate with the fans?

I’ll answer that question myself. It is a problem. That’s one of the biggest problems with the Trust.

They don’t communicate for a good reason. They’re not interested in what their members want, they’re interested in what they want.

I’ve tried to engage with them on multiple occasions, as a member and as not. I’ve offered support, ideas, constructive criticism and have been ignored every single time.

I’ve been quite clear on this frequently so won’t draw over it again. However, it’s abundantly clear that those at the head of the Trust are only there for self promotion.

They may be volunteers, but they are only interested in having a pedestal to stand on.

That is evidenced through the fact they have achieved absolutely nothing to date, despite three years ago promising big things.

The bee in my bonnet is the fact the Trust could have, and should have, achieved a lot more and their lack of action is partly to blame for Ashley still being here. 

Whilst I think there may be a degree of that I don't think it's universally what people are on the board for. I do think they're all there to make a positive difference for the supporters of Newcastle United.

I think the Trust should engage better, listen and attempt to address the larger issues that fans have. However, it's a balancing act, as the trust needs to remain open to constructive communication with the club and governing bodies, but also must (and more importantly to me!) stand shoulder to shouldet with fans.

I don't think it's fair to say they've done nowt like. I am probably more aware of things that have been done because I was closer to it and I'm now on the board, so I do take that it maybe needs voicing more so people are aware, but I think we need to understand from people like yourself what the expectations are.

It's imperative that we reach out to the 14k membership and understand them, not just have them on a dormant list until they become fed up.

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

That's fair play, Heron. :thup:

I would say though that the more pertinent question for the trust is why aren't these opportunities being identified and exploited in the first place? 

It's a good question, and you're right.

I agree with this by and large. I do see an argument why people want to go too, but this is the stance I have taken and personally feel let down that the fans haven't been more active the protests I have been a part of.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Fair enough.

:thup:

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

I definitely think the Trust could afford to be more vocal, especially on the bigger issues which all the fans are united on, but the challenge they'll face and will always face is that any wins they might have are affectively meaningless whilst Ashley is still the owner and that's a theme that runs through the entire club. 

Absolutely. Sorry I meant improved not apptoved in ny origonal post too.

Can guarantee if they announce they're small wins people will have them (us?) down as egotistical pricks though or the wins won't be big enough. It's those wins that clubs up and down the country aren't having to deal with because the clubs are by and large ran better than ours. Then we have all the added shit of Ashley and takeovers, etc. I petsonally think this trust has a difficult task, one of the most, because of our status and size and the fact no ones communicates, agrees or even listens. That's why for me engaging with fans is the key. 

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

Whilst I think there may be a degree of that I don't think it's universally what people are on the board for. I do think they're all there to make a positive difference for the supporters of Newcastle United.

I think the Trust should engage better, listen and attempt to address the larger issues that fans have. However, it's a balancing act, as the trust needs to remain open to constructive communication with the club and governing bodies, but also must (and more importantly to me!) stand shoulder to shouldet with fans.

I don't think it's fair to say they've done nowt like. I am probably more aware of things that have been done because I was closer to it and I'm now on the board, so I do take that it maybe needs voicing more so people are aware, but I think we need to understand from people like yourself what the expectations are.

It's imperative that we reach out to the 14k membership and understand them, not just have them on a dormant list until they become fed up.

But what is that? I’ve asked multiple times on here and never been given a solid answer. Your response the other day didn’t provide any substance at all either.

We’ll agree to disagree on the Board because you’re quite rightly never going to criticise them and equally I haven’t seen anything to change my opinion based on my own observations.

I agree with the second and fourth paragraphs in the main. Although I’ll still make the point all that is in the Trust’s own grasp and has been for three years without acting upon it. It needs to change.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

But what is that? I’ve asked multiple times on here and never been given a solid answer. Your response the other day didn’t provide any substance at all either.

We’ll agree to disagree on the Board because you’re quite rightly never going to criticise them and equally I haven’t seen anything to change my opinion based on my own observations.

I agree with the second and fourth paragraphs in the main. Although I’ll still make the point all that is in the Trust’s own grasp and has been for three years without acting upon it. It needs to change.

I'll be frank, I need to go through some of their wins myself and establish myself with them, but there have been a lot of smaller ones that go under the radar.

Also, I think there's only Greg and I who come on here and that's very rarely. I only came on when I got a message for the footy match. I want to do a roadshow and get out and meet fans, that's my big thing, but I need to ensure I do things the correct way anf with the groups backing, at least whilst I'm still new. 

Just now, Heron said:

I'll be frank, I need to go through some of their wins myself and establish myself with them, but there have been a lot of smaller ones that go under the radar.

Also, I think there's only Greg and I who come on here and that's very rarely. I only came on when I got a message for the footy match. I want to do a roadshow and get out and meet fans, that's my big thing, but I need to ensure I do things the correct way anf with the groups backing, at least whilst I'm still new. 

I think the first paragraph says it all, to be honest. Nobody can answer that question, not even the Trust themselves.

In relation to the bolded part - my advice and ask of you is to not think like that or allow your voice to be ignored on the Board.

You might have a new seat on the Board, but you’re not new to being a Newcastle fan. Your thoughts, opinions and ideas should be as valued as those who have been involved since day dot.

Their way hasn’t worked, at all. So they should be listening very keenly to people like you, who I do think has the correct mindset and a good motivation for being involved.

Do I think your voice will get drowned out as Alex plows on with his own plans? Absolutely. I hope not though, otherwise it’ll continue to fail.

13 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I think the first paragraph says it all, to be honest. Nobody can answer that question, not even the Trust themselves.

In relation to the bolded part - my advice and ask of you is to not think like that or allow your voice to be ignored on the Board.

You might have a new seat on the Board, but you’re not new to being a Newcastle fan. Your thoughts, opinions and ideas should be as valued as those who have been involved since day dot.

Their way hasn’t worked, at all. So they should be listening very keenly to people like you, who I do think has the correct mindset and a good motivation for being involved.

Do I think your voice will get drowned out as Alex plows on with his own plans? Absolutely. I hope not though, otherwise it’ll continue to fail.

I have been vocal in my views thus far and it hasn't gone down all that well in all honesty. It's a democracy so I need to win people over to make my feelings, actions. However, I do take your point. It may be that I press forward on occasion and hopefully prove that a different way is the right way. That might gain more traction than simply trying to proceed democratically. :thup:

FWIW, I think other board members could tell you of a lot of the successes. I just can't cause I've probably been a bit ignorant in all honesty. 😂

2 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

@Heronseems to have a better grasp about what people want from NUST, but i fear he's going to be frustrated by others on the board at the Trust. 

Cheers. I just have to respect that people have voted for me and have to try and apply my beliefs the right way before I let frustrations get the better of me :thup: I'll try! 😂

Edited by Heron

53 minutes ago, Heron said:

Absolutely. Sorry I meant improved not apptoved in ny origonal post too.

Can guarantee if they announce they're small wins people will have them (us?) down as egotistical pricks though or the wins won't be big enough. It's those wins that clubs up and down the country aren't having to deal with because the clubs are by and large ran better than ours. Then we have all the added shit of Ashley and takeovers, etc. I petsonally think this trust has a difficult task, one of the most, because of our status and size and the fact no ones communicates, agrees or even listens. That's why for me engaging with fans is the key. 

:thup:

Will play devil's advocate again and ask whether the Trust's strategy is the correct one if it's proving to be so divisive amongst the demographic it represents? 

Just my personal opinion, but there is one singular issue that ALL Newcastle fans agree on, and that's the ownership issue. Wouldn't it therefore be of more value to the fans, Trust and the club if the strategy was geared towards ensuring the eventual departure of Ashley?

Quite how that's manifests itself into a cohesive plan is up for debate but wouldn't that be the best way to engage the fans - by appealing to their 'needs'

Edited by Thumbheed