Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

Does this mean no boycott of SD, Game, etc because below Ashley, there are good people and jobs at stake, though?

I don't know what that's got to do with NUST.

As has been said, and explained above - not a protest group so NUST itself wouldn't be promoting any of those things.

It's also a stupid question, we (as people) are not fans of SD and Game and don't intend or have a great passion or desire for them to be better and achieve more and have a new owner to take them forward and run them properly.

Bizarre question.

Personally I don’t see the point in NUST engaging with the club at all. I know that’s what a trust is supposed to do, but these aren’t normal circumstances. Best thing every fan group could be doing is making it clear to fans that they shouldn’t be going, shouldn’t be shopping at sports direct or any of his businesses, showing the world that he’s damaged NUFC beyond repair. Fans with passion for the club, organisational talent and things should be dedicating themselves to that.

Couldn’t NUST fulfil those other responsibilities, represent fans and the community but not engage with the club itself?

Thick as f***.

Trying to engage with Ashley's club is, absolutely.

Have you read and comprehended anything I've posted?

Yes, do you think you are the oracle like?

Engaging with Ashley's NUFC is a complete waste of time, if you can't see that then you are the thick one.

So again, for the record, you don't think NUST should be standing up and raising concerns with the club for example in relation to racist abuse, sexist abuse, fans being pepper sprayed for no reason (which happened earlier this season), or on behalf of fans that were refused entry at Anfield the other week for no reason other than they were under the age of 16.

These are the types of concerns NUST raises with the club. If you see a problem with this then god help you.

So again, for the record, you don't think NUST should be standing up and raising concerns with the club for example in relation to racist abuse, sexist abuse, fans being pepper sprayed for no reason (which happened earlier this season), or on behalf of fans that were refused entry at Anfield the other week for no reason other than they were under the age of 16.

These are the types of concerns NUST raises with the club. If you see a problem with this then god help you.

Bingo, waste of fucking time.

Do you think Ashley gives a shite about racism or any of the other things you raise, he's the biggest cunt going if you haven't noticed.

While I think toonarmy1892 is being a prick about it, I think there’s some value in what he’s saying tbh. During the summer the likes of Wraith were using the whole Ashley is a cunt angle to get people to pay their £1s, and there’s been nothing at all from the group to get at Ashley.

Some right dicks on this forum. There's still kids and the like going to the games and they absolutely should not be subjected to racist, sexist and other abuse. Even if its not directed at them, they don't need to hear/see it.

Its completely separate to any protests, and if NUST did become a militant anti-NUFC/Ashley group then I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed any contact with the club. It's also more than likely that the club employees they are liaising with have probably never met Ashlsy and are decent people wanting to do their job and protect the supporters who are going.

I get the scorched earth approach people might want to take with the club at the mo, but if we ever get rid of Ashley, people seem to expect that everything will immediately start being rosy. In reality, any issues mentioned by Greg not dealt with now will still be there regardless of ownership.

The issue with the trust is that they basically jumped on the unrest of the fans in order to gain a huge number of members and have literally done nothing since except a send a few (incorrectly adressed) emails and do a few polls. There was a huge amount of momentum behind it, which in my opinion should have been used to seriously attack the club/Ashley, but because of the PC element behind it the opportunity was missed.

The issue with the trust is that they basically jumped on the unrest of the fans in order to gain a huge number of members and have literally done nothing since except a send a few (incorrectly adressed) emails and do a few polls. There was a huge amount of momentum behind it, which in my opinion should have been used to seriously attack the club/Ashley, but because of the PC element behind it the opportunity was missed.

You've got the opportunity to converse with a leading member of NUST, who is telling you the work they do (and do not) do as a Supporters Trust (a legally constituted and regulated body). And instead, you regurgitate misinformation about what they should be doing. Curious.

And then I saw the "explanation" - you do realise that using "PC" unironically pretty much immediately invalidates your argument, right?

As an active member of a protest group moderately well known and with some small impact, I can tell you how messy and hard it is to remain organised and grow. I’m also a trust member because I can see that ultimately they will have more strength than our relatively small protest group can ever have long term by virtue of being formally constituted and having official memberships.

Leaders can be deposed, directions altered, with the ultimate aim being that sufficient numerical and financial strength may help get our club back one day. It’s narrow minded to think that’s pointless. They’re trying to effect what they can in their infancy imo and it’ll require a bit of a leap of faith from fans to help them grow their members. I’ll be looking to vote in people who don’t have alterior motive and will complement the more anti ashley stance personally, but other members will be match going fans and people have to ultimately recognise that these people exist and if they join an organisation like a ST probably care about stuff like fan ownership.

Every avenue should be explored and if you want to strengthen our protest groups - they always need active members. As much as getting directly at Ashley DOES piss him off and give him pause for thought (though he nearly always doubles down) it’s money and tangible strength in numbers that will see him off.

Liaising with the Police rather than the club might be more effective on this score?

That’s it for me.

I cancelled my season ticket and then joined the trust, if the ultimate aim is to take control one day then protesting with militant groups is not a professional way to act, perhaps if a potential buyer can be found and asks the trust for help in removing Ashley then it might happen one day. IMO this will happen when we build the club back from the boots up after Ashley has torn it down within his crumbling empire.

While I think toonarmy1892 is being a prick about it, I think there’s some value in what he’s saying tbh. During the summer the likes of Wraith were using the whole Ashley is a cunt angle to get people to pay their £1s, and there’s been nothing at all from the group to get at Ashley.

This is true. They used the rightful anger of fans in the summer to get money from nearly everyone. There is a case for putting all these great initiatives on hold and not communicating with the club at all, so as not to be seen to be giving the club legitimacy in the eyes of their members. We are not in normal times with a normal club.

Taking control of the club isn't even a pipe dream, it's not happening full stop. Even if we had all the money needed, as if Ashley would ever agree to sell to the fans.

Is it true that the "board" of the trust are given complimentary match tickets? and other club access

Also, they advertise for "anyone" to run for election to the board, but then they say you need to have two current trust members to nominate you? That just sounds like a sneaky way for the current members to keep themselves in position

1) 100 percent false. Complete lies if you have been told this.

2) It's got nothing to do with the board and this is very normal in any similar organisation - you need to be nominaed by two members - there's nearly 10,000 out there  - not by members of the board.

Considering we are reducing the board down from 12 to 7 (for good reason) no it's not a sneaky way of keeping people in the board, there's no need for us to even have this many of the board up for re-election but given where we are we felt it was right that the majority of the board were up for election.

Have you read the Election Policy? https://nufctrust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/NUST-Election-Policy.pdf

Is it true that the "board" of the trust are given complimentary match tickets? and other club access

Also, they advertise for "anyone" to run for election to the board, but then they say you need to have two current trust members to nominate you? That just sounds like a sneaky way for the current members to keep themselves in position

1) 100 percent false. Complete lies if you have been told this.

2) It's got nothing to do with the board and this is very normal in any similar organisation - you need to be nominaed by two members - there's nearly 10,000 out there  - not by members of the board.

Considering we are reducing the board down from 12 to 7 (for good reason) no it's not a sneaky way of keeping people in the board, there's no need for us to even have this many of the board up for re-election but given where we are we felt it was right that the majority of the board were up for election.

Have you read the Election Policy? https://nufctrust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/NUST-Election-Policy.pdf

Greg can I ask you, without any malice, how many board members, like yourself, don't attend matches currently?

That’s it for me.

While putting the membership down to £1 and never once promoting ourselves as a protest group. As an organisation we will do more and achieve more with a bigger member base. What we're working on in the background is really exciting and is why we made a big drive for members (event at a quid). We've done a hell of a lot since the summer, but you won't see most of it yet. In most of what we do we can't do it with a running commentary in the public eye or else things will fail - this is how the world works - half baked ideas, plans, programmes - they fail.