George Caulkin

Tooj

Just read this on Toontastic.  Most interesting bit for me being that Ashley's PR man also lists David Craig as one of his clients. Hence the bacon sarnies and phantom transfer bids on deadline days gone by

Guest firetotheworks

So basically when Ashley got caught out deliberately misleading the fans of NUFC during his case with Keegan, his solution was to do it legitimately.

Just read this on Toontastic.  Most interesting bit for me being that Ashley's PR man also lists David Craig as one of his clients. Hence the bacon sarnies and phantom transfer bids on deadline days gone by

i think he was interviewing pardew via sky today because he did say something about the fans not supporting pardew today.

i think he was interviewing pardew via sky today because he did say something about the fans not supporting pardew today.

Not usre if that was Craig - but there are definitely soft questions from Sky at times.  FWIW that article also said that Craig no longer is the main man for Sky in NE

• 4 months later...
Guest antz1uk

hopefully he's realising he's not good enough, fat bastard. only other thing is he knows krul is on his way in Jan, however, has this Darlow lad been bought from Forest to be a starter next season?

Elliot is rubbish but he probably realises if he can get a game somewhere he has every chance of being Ireland's number 1. He's up against Given, who's older than time, Westwood & Forde who are very average and probably some other crud. He made some unbelievable saves down at Southampton when we got turned over 4-0 but he's also an embarrassing fat mess so swings and roundabouts

Keepers are a funny position. Any keeper can pull off a few great saves that look good for the cameras. The key is consistency, and being able to be a rock at the back. No doubt Elliott has made some good stops at times but overall he's a fat liability and hasn't done anything that would make anyone think he should be anywhere near the first team.

Guest reefatoon

Says he will leave if he does not displace Krul at the end of the season in the Telegraph. Not sure why he thinks he is good enough to start - I haven't seen any evidence at all.

Good, fuck off your fat mess.

‏@CaulkinTheTimes

"Brilliant Newcastle United today lost 25-0 in a plucky moral victory over Southampton which saw 9 of their players cruelly sent off."

George Caulkin @CaulkinTheTimes  ·  1m

"Responding to their fabulous win-defeat, demi-Gods Alan Pardew, Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley promised free Sports Direct mugs for all."

"'Everything is wonderful' they said in a packed press conference of one journalist, who works for the club. 'But don't quote us on that'."

‏@CaulkinTheTimes

"Brilliant Newcastle United today lost 25-0 in a plucky moral victory over Southampton which saw 9 of their players cruelly sent off."

"Responding to their fabulous win-defeat, demi-Gods Alan Pardew, Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley promised free Sports Direct mugs for all."

"'Everything is wonderful' they said in a packed press conference of one journalist, who works for the club. 'But don't quote us on that'."

:lol:

Newcastle United and Ireland back-up goalkeeper says the time has come to make regular football his goal for club and country

After a breakthrough week with Ireland, Rob Elliot will return to Tyneside facing a familiar and difficult dilemma. During the international break, the goalkeeper won a second cap for his country, a source of pride and encouragement but, all things being equal, he will once more take his place on the substitutes’ bench for Newcastle United on Saturday. In the long run, he knows that inactivity is unsustainable.

Elliot joined Newcastle from Charlton Athletic in August 2011 on a five-year contract. He has grown to adore the club and in a perfect world would stay, but in three years has made just 12 first-team appearances. He has Tim Krul, the Holland goalkeeper, in front of him, but at the age of 28, Elliot is itching to play and is now reaching the stage where he must consider his future.

“It’s been really tough and I’ve been a bit frustrated,” Elliot said. “I’ve wanted to play — I don’t want to just get the tag of being a No 2 keeper. I work hard every day, I try and improve myself and I believe I can play in the Premier League and I want to try and push Tim as much as I can. I’ve spoken to Alan Pardew about it, and he’s fine about that — I’ve got a good relationship with him — but it’s just a case of waiting for my opportunity.”

Last season, there were few of them; two games in the Barclays Premier League, one in each domestic cup. “You get times when you think, ‘Right, I need to play’, and that’s the big thing for me,” Elliot, who played for half of Ireland’s 2-0 friendly victory over Oman, said.

“I love it at Newcastle. I love living there, I love the club. Anyone who has been there knows what an amazing city it is, how fantastic the fans are, but I want to play football. I hope it is at Newcastle, but if it’s not, it’s not. I think after this season, depending on how many games I get, I’ll have to look at it and see what happens.”

In the circumstances and without pushing to move, all Elliot can do is be prepared. “I’ve thought to myself that the one thing I can control is how fit I can be,” he said. “I had a good chat with the manager in pre-season in America and he just said ‘get as fit as you can’, so that’s what I’ve done. I’ve gone away, lost a lot of weight and told myself I’m going to give myself the next ten years or so and have a proper go.”

Being with Ireland, who won their opening Euro 2016 qualifier in Georgia on Sunday — Elliot was again on the bench — has energised him. Although he played five times in pre-season, his past two senior matches have both been internationals, he has relished the opportunity to work under Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane and has benefited from training alongside Shay Given, who was recalled to the international squad.

“Shay is probably our greatest ever goalkeeper, so to work with him, to watch him and hopefully pick up a few things and to just have him around the place was really good,” Elliot said. “For myself, selfishly, it’s really good because you want to train with the best goalkeepers and then pit yourself against them, because that’s the only way you’re going to get better, so I’ve really enjoyed it.

“I’ve emulated him in some ways, going to Newcastle and then coming to Ireland. It might be asking too much to get another 125 caps or so, but that would be lovely. It’s good. He helps give me a target to set, to try and work towards.”

After a summer of renewal and new signings, Newcastle have started the season with a batch of unconvincing results, losing to Manchester City, drawing with Aston Villa and Crystal Palace and narrowly beating Gillingham in the Capital One Cup. It has not been enough to shift attention away from Pardew, who finished last season under pressure from supporters. A poll in a local newspaper yesterday suggested that 85 per cent of Newcastle fans would like him to be dismissed.

“We finished poorly last season and we knew we should have done better,” Elliot said. “We knew we should have finished higher than we did, but we’ve signed some really good, quality players in the transfer window just gone. I knew a few people were upset we didn’t sign anyone right on deadline day, but the players we’ve brought in are real quality.

“The first few games have been really positive. It was disappointing to concede a last-minute goal against Palace but, personally, I think it’s going to be a good season for us. I think the lads who haven’t played in the Premier League, the new players, just need time to bed in, but once they do, we’ve got some real quality in there. We’ve bought well.”

There is also some dismay that Hatem Ben Arfa, who had fallen out with Pardew, was permitted to join Hull City on loan. “What happened with Hatem happened, that’s obviously between him and the club,” Elliot said. “All I know is that Hatem is a fantastic talent as a player, but obviously if things weren’t right, they weren’t right. I just wish him all the best. He’s a nice lad. The club have obviously made the decision and you just have to respect that.”