Newcastle United 2-1 Doncaster Rovers - 24/10/09 - post match reaction from p20

PM

Guest toonlass

I am very happy.

Positives :lol: you've just been slating Jonas.

Am still happy in general though. You just seem to enjoy whinging though

Unfair criticism of Kadar and Zurab I think,  they were both no worse than the general team performance. Kadar looked alright for me (he is young afterall) and Zurab did ok too. Not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination but come on guys the negativity at the moment is rediculous.

Guest The_Scoreboard

Just back, excellent turnout considering our poor run and good justification for no boycotts - when the crowd getting going and get behind the team, it actually does spur the players on. Very quiet first half and once again frustrating as f**k. Jonas would be an amazing player if he passed once in awhile. Obvious handball for the penalty. Ref was right to send Zurab off, although he nearly got away with it until the linesman interfeered. Didn't really like the fact that one of our own  players was boo'd off but Mare-wood is a lazy useless Tw@t so deserved it, lets use the young un's everytime.  If he is still here after January, Enrique's name is going on my shirt - he's a different class O0

Harper had very little to do, the defence were shaky at times but our midfield opens up like the red sea even in this division.  Butt should never start in the middle ahead of Guthrie who isn't a winger and is wasted in that position.  Get LuaLua on the wing and I think our game will open up a lot more than it does now. 

Butt has loads of experience but his body is so wrecked he can't use that experience and he still finds it difficult to find his team mates with the ball.  Kadar was at fault for the goal but he wasn't too bad considering who he was along side and who was protecting the defence.  Jonas did nothing for most of the game but Carroll and Harewood do very little to help anybody trying to find them with the ball.

Ranger looked good before he was dropped and again did more than the bloke who is keeping him out of the team.  Both Carroll and Harewood should have probably come off because of the way they were playing.  Carroll justified staying on and looked better when playing along side Ranger, the whole team looked better after we brought Ranger on as he brought a bit of sparkle to our game.

We scored two good goals and we're lucky that they missed the penalty because I think we'd not have come back if that had gone in.

I'm not sure the sending off was justified as I didn't see anything wrong but I guess the TV will prove it one way or the other.

Hughton is out of his depth and got 3 of his starting 11 wrong, Guthrie should have started in the middle and Harewood should have started on the bench as he’s useless if the ball isn’t delivered directly to him, he’ll not move for the ball.  We need to start with a proper right winger so we can make the most of our right hand side.

Our first half performance was woeful again, we’ve got to get to the bottom of why this is happening and we have to stop hoofing the ball up field but we need to do something in midfield as we have to bypass them most of the time because they don’t offer themselves for a pass.

I’m not keen on Nolan but he’s produced again and is always looking to score and we need that from midfield.

Very very lucky to come away with anything, never mind three points. How we're still top of this division beggars belief, so does the idea of how any team from it could compete in the Premiership.

On the day, Enrique was a cut above again and might as well be on the field on his own at times, Nolan was better than usual and took his goal superbly, Carroll took his goal well given that he'd missed two of the biggest sitters going before it but generally it was a very por performance. The first half was absolute dross from our point of view.

What happened with the penalty?

A looping cross came in and their player headed it off R. Taylors arm (which was up in the air). It was only from about 2 yards or so, but if it was us I would have appealed for it.