Stadium naming rights

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Radio 1 just said that there's a chance that it will be called something like ''Sports Direct Park''.

Surely, that would just be Ashley selling it to himself?

It would be silly of him, it would be free advertising for himself, if he wants to generate money he needs sponsorship from an outside source.

Then again............

But would it ? He would be moving money from another business he owns part of to a business he owns all of. it's not like he's using his own cash and he would get fantastic advertising.

Surely it would be daft to have the sports direct park, sports direct on our shirts and a cheap kit made by one of his cheap companies????

Radio 1 just said that there's a chance that it will be called something like ''Sports Direct Park''.

Surely, that would just be Ashley selling it to himself?

It would be silly of him, it would be free advertising for himself, if he wants to generate money he needs sponsorship from an outside source.

Then again............

But would it ? He would be moving money from another business he owns part of to a business he owns all of. it's not like he's using his own cash and he would get fantastic advertising.

Surely it would be daft to have the sports direct park, sports direct on our shirts and a cheap kit made by one of his cheap companies????

Why ? The club gets money still from another business in terms of sponsership and what not. He will take a wage from Sports Soccer and dividends but won't be taking home all the profit. If he can make the strips himself he'll be saving even more money and yet making loads more of shirt sales.

But then he wont be getting wedge of cash from say Nike or Puma or whoever to buy the rights to make the shirts???

I dont want to second guess pork pie, it would be mad to. 

Depends I guess if he can manage to get Sports Direct to be the shirt sponsor and Lonsdale as the shirt makers with cash coming from both.

But then he wont be getting wedge of cash from say Nike or Puma or whoever to buy the rights to make the shirts???

I dont want to second guess pork pie, it would be mad to. 

Depends I guess if he can manage to get Sports Direct to be the shirt sponsor and Lonsdale as the shirt makers with cash coming from both.

He would then be relying on NUFC fans to buy the kit knowing it was made by one of his companies and having sports direct on it.

Big risk.

Seriously, if he puts SD on the shirt and the shirt is made by a company he owns.

Then it should not be bought by any nufc fan.

I've not been buying them since the whole FS/DH thing in the brothel so that would just keep on going.

Would this not have to be agreed by the council or something? Considering Newcastle United don't actually own the stadium?

We do own the stadium. We lease the land off the council.

Ah right I see, I thought it was the stadium that they owned.

http://www.montrealfilmjournal.com/img/picb/R0000122.jpg

"You thought wrong"

Campest bad guy ever, "hiya john!"

Aint that the guy from weird science and mad max?

Mad max aye, not sure about weird science tho.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/MAD%20MAX%20GUY%20IN%20WEIRD%20SCIENCE/lorrdraiden/Weird_Science_movie_still_weird_sci.jpg

Looks quite close to me

If he 'sold' the naming rights or shirt sponsorship to Sports Direct, he would essentially be paying for it himself.  He will sell sponsorship to the highest bidder and that isn't going to be him, is it?

No he wouldn't. He doesn't own the whole of Sports Direct and that business has it's own advertising budget which is not his money it's the business of Sports Directs money.

If the stadium naming rights don't get sold, it's St James' Park, if they do it's still St James' Park. It will always be St James' Park.

Which is why I think Ashley will struggle to get a decent wedge for naming rights. The big companies aren't stupid with their marketing cash, and they will know that no matter what official title is placed on SJP the majority of the country will refer to it as SJP for as long as it stands. The only way for them to make it work would be to get some sort of legal thing going to ban any journalist/media outlet from referring to it as SJP - and even then we would have to be on the telly a hell of a lot to large audiences to make it worthwhile

There was a University professor of Economics or something like that on the radio Newcastle sports (football) show last night and he reckons in the premiership we could expect about £75 million for naming rights but in our current situation only about £3.5 million per season if my memory serves me right and imho its hardly worth the name change for that pittance ,Ashley you really dont give a shit about tradition and feelings for the area and i hope you rot in hell.

There was a University professor of Economics or something like that on the radio Newcastle sports (football) show last night and he reckons in the premiership we could expect about £75 million for naming rights but in our current situation only about £3.5 million per season if my memory serves me right and imho its hardly worth the name change for that pittance ,Ashley you really dont give a s*** about tradition and feelings for the area and i hope you rot in hell.

lets be honest. a lot of the fans didn't give a shit about tradition and feelings till 1993 and when sir john hall origianally gave the fans the chance to have their share in the club.

if he sells the name now then he's a mug unless he gets a deal that bumps up if we are in the prem next season.

There was a University professor of Economics or something like that on the radio Newcastle sports (football) show last night and he reckons in the premiership we could expect about £75 million for naming rights but in our current situation only about £3.5 million per season if my memory serves me right and imho its hardly worth the name change for that pittance ,Ashley you really dont give a s*** about tradition and feelings for the area and i hope you rot in hell.

lets be honest. a lot of the fans didn't give a s*** about tradition and feelings till 1993 and when sir john hall origianally gave the fans the chance to have their share in the club.

if he sells the name now then he's a mug unless he gets a deal that bumps up if we are in the prem next season.

Speaking for myself i care about tradition going back to our formation in 1892 and i in no way want to see it eroded ,if the ground was built in a different location than fair enough but not in this way ffs would everyone just accept red and white stripes cos i certainly wouldnt put it past him .

lets be honest. a lot of the fans didn't give a s*** about tradition and feelings till 1993 and when sir john hall origianally gave the fans the chance to have their share in the club.

Speaking for myself i care about tradition going back to our formation in 1892 and i in no way want to see it eroded ,if the ground was built in a different location than fair enough but not in this way ffs would everyone just accept red and white stripes cos i certainly wouldnt put it past him .

i see it completly the other way. if the ground was built elsewhere then the new name would stick (emirates) as it is the old name will (gallowgate,leazes)....totally right about the strip though.

This all strikes me as bad marketing. NUFC as a commercial entity relies on the tradition of the club. Changing the name of the stadium could serve to erode the commercial viability long term outside the UK as we would fall in to the same category as Wigan, Bolton et al.

Imagine it.

"And after the break we will have Newcastle vs sunderland live at the Sports Direct Arena".

I have always cringed when I see teams like Bolton. Once you go down that path, how long before you have cheerleaders and music when you score goals? We're a proper club, we may be run like a farce but we are still respected as a proper club up and down the land, a famous club steeped in tradition, a famous name in British football. Changing the name of our stadium would throw a lot of that into question, clubs are built on tradition and that's what brings thousands of fans to feel a sense of loyalty passed down through generations. Look at the tacky teams and they don't have that, not on the same level anyway.

We can't let this happen.

Imagine it.

"And after the break we will have Newcastle vs sunderland live at the Sports Direct Arena".

I have always cringed when I see teams like Bolton. Once you go down that path, how long before you have cheerleaders and music when you score goals? We're a proper club, we may be run like a farce but we are still respected as a proper club up and down the land, a famous club steeped in tradition, a famous name in British football. Changing the name of our stadium would throw a lot of that into question, clubs are built on tradition and that's what brings thousands of fans to feel a sense of loyalty passed down through generations. Look at the tacky teams and they don't have that, not on the same level anyway.

We can't let this happen.

What about teams like Arsenal & Bayern Munich?