Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The thing that worried me the most is the lack of pace in our defence apart from Enrique. Having said that I think S.Taylor, Campbell, Collocini, Enrique would be better than a lot of back fours in the Premiership if they could all stay fit. Taylor is prone to injury though and Campbell won't be able to play over 30 games I wouldn't imagine.

Campbell - second fastest player at Arsenal last season according to Wenger, only Walcott outsprinted him over distance.

This can't be true

Really?

Campbell is faster than he looks, too. Despite his advancing years, last season Castrol measured the fastest Premier League players and incredibly the Englishman came second with a top speed of 22.5mph. Only Theo Walcott was faster.

Seemed to be covering ground well in the Champs League and Premiership games I saw him in, albeit only one or two.

EDIT: Some of the responses on here speak volumes about the poster's ability to read football matches.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2009/08/23/top-ten-fastest-premier-league-players/

"Arsenal’s Walcott clocked 22.72mph and Sol Campbell took a shock second place in the top-flight race with a 22.50mph top speed."

There's a difference in top speed and acceleration as well people!!!!!!

So Sulzeer has the acceleration of an 18th Century steam train, yet the top speed of a Bugatti Veyron.

:lol:

This is a great signing. Showed that he could still do it for Arsenal, and I think he just genuinely wants to stay in the game for as long as possible, making him a possibility to become a coach for us in the long term given his familial situation. Gives an extra competent body where I don't envisage Taylor finding form until the new year.

He is one of England's finest ever centre backs, has great natural fitness, and has a physique our defence has missed since we lost Bramble.

He is a leader too, and can hopefully pass on stuff to the kids, and even to Steven Taylor who has probably missed having a mentor of sorts in the key years of his development, which made him not as good as he could have been.

100% agree with this post.

So Sulzeer has the acceleration of an 18th Century steam train, yet the top speed of a Bugatti Veyron.

I don't know what a Sulzeer is, but I think my answer is "yea, kinda"

The thing that worried me the most is the lack of pace in our defence apart from Enrique. Having said that I think S.Taylor, Campbell, Collocini, Enrique would be better than a lot of back fours in the Premiership if they could all stay fit. Taylor is prone to injury though and Campbell won't be able to play over 30 games I wouldn't imagine.

Campbell - second fastest player at Arsenal last season according to Wenger, only Walcott outsprinted him over distance.

This can't be true

Really?

Campbell is faster than he looks, too. Despite his advancing years, last season Castrol measured the fastest Premier League players and incredibly the Englishman came second with a top speed of 22.5mph. Only Theo Walcott was faster.

Seemed to be covering ground well in the Champs League and Premiership games I saw him in, albeit only one or two.

EDIT: Some of the responses on here speak volumes about the poster's ability to read football matches.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2009/08/23/top-ten-fastest-premier-league-players/

"Arsenals Walcott clocked 22.72mph and Sol Campbell took a shock second place in the top-flight race with a 22.50mph top speed."

anonymous - August 24th, 2009 at 12:01 pm

HOW CAN PEOPLE TRY AND DISAGREE WITH FACTS??

:lol:

I don't know what a Sulzeer is, but I think my answer is "yea, kinda"

Sulzeer Jeremiah Campbell ...

so pissed Roader though he is not good enough for us 4 years ego.... he is good enough now and all credit to Chris to make this happen....

You credit Chris for Sol being good enough now?

I don't think it was a case of Sol not being good enough 4 years ago - but not being worth the money that he wanted.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Usain Bolt's world record time has him running at 23.35mph. If those readings are right (and I've done the calculation right :lol:), Sol Campbell could have been the 100m world record holder until the early 1980s - running it in 9.94s.

Impressive...

Ermm, that woud be more about acceleration. The player speed is based on top speed, very different.

It's not that he's slow per se, it's that he's slow to turn due to being a big fella. He doesn't have the lowest centre of gravity.

'Milk turns quicker' used to be the saying. :lol:

This is a great signing. Showed that he could still do it for Arsenal, and I think he just genuinely wants to stay in the game for as long as possible, making him a possibility to become a coach for us in the long term given his familial situation. Gives an extra competent body where I don't envisage Taylor finding form until the new year.

He is one of England's finest ever centre backs, has great natural fitness, and has a physique our defence has missed since we lost Bramble.

He is a leader too, and can hopefully pass on stuff to the kids, and even to Steven Taylor who has probably missed having a mentor of sorts in the key years of his development, which made him not as good as he could have been.

:clap: Could not agree more ,experience,calming influence and been there seen it and done it

Thought it was strange I'd had no texts from Spurs fans yet, here we go

Looks like you're signing the Judas cunt. What do you reckon? He's old and knowing him he'll want loads of money.

so still not over that

Top 10 supposedly being

Walcott 22.72 mph

Campbell 22.50 mph

Drogba 22.27 mph

Torres 22.27 mph

Anelka 22.05 mph

Fabregas 22.05 mph

A Cole 22.05 mph

Clichy 21.82 mph

Rooney 21.82 mph

Gerrard 21.60 mph

Very dodgy

:lol: Based on what, exactly? Your own scienitific readings? :lol:

No Agbonlahor, Lennon, Defoe, Wright-Phillips ...

;D

Campbell has opted to head to St James’ Park after rejecting the overtures of Celtic and Newcastle’s arch-rivals, Sunderland, and it is believed that he will sign a one-year deal with an option for a further season in the North-East.

The Newcastle regime are understood to be ready to pay the 35 year-old the maximum amount allowed under their new wage structure - £35,000-per-week – which is less half the sum he was offered to play for newly-promoted Bundesliga side St Pauli.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/championship/newcastleunited/7913387/Newcastle-on-verge-of-signing-Sol-Campbell.html

The way things are at the club right now I'm pretty gobsmacked by this. At first glance the only box that Sol ticks of our supposed  criteria is that there is no transfer fee. Its really good to see some common sense and a bit of realism coming through - as things stand we really could not make a better defensive signing.     :thup:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bloody nuffield, why when I've been in am I in and out within the hour yet a professional sportsman takes about 3 weeks.