Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Even if the club had the finances of a Chelsea-Man City-Real Madrid coalition , making an average 36 year old centreback one of your topp earners is insanity.

One of our top earners?! :mackems:

From what I could guess, the only players earning more would be Barton, Coloccini, Smith, and Xisco. Barton and Smith are mistakes froma bygone era, Xisco will probaly be sold to the highest bidder (or any bidder), and only Colo has been a productive part of the club. From my estimation he would be the fifth highest earning player, which would make him one of our top earners. He would also be the highest paid signing under by Hughton by far. He would also be a 36 year old who managed to play 13 or so matches last year, which is not exactly a test of his durability.

We'll have plenty of players on around 35k, and several on around twice that.  So if that wage is correct he certainly won't be one of our top earners.

World class at what he did, which is all you can ask for really. There weren't many (any?) better poachers when he was on form throughout his career.

I still remember his early games at SJP - he was an absolute cut-above everything else on the pitch at times with some of his runs, touches and dribbles.

Think that's why his time here sticks in the throat so much, because he was actually a real high quality player that we got stiffed on.

Of course he was world class. Maybe not the all-round player that other great strikers have been, but at his peak he was easily amongst the world's best at putting the ball in the net.

Whether he was still at that level by the time he joined us is debatable like, he wasn't as quick for example.

Guest Heneage

World class at what he did, which is all you can ask for really. There weren't many (any?) better poachers when he was on form throughout his career.

I still remember his early games at SJP - he was an absolute cut-above everything else on the pitch at times with some of his runs, touches and dribbles.

Think that's why his time here sticks in the throat so much, because he was actually a real high quality player that we got stiffed on.

Him and Shearer were fantastic.

Is that a pisstake? We were absolutely s**** at that time. And those two only had two or three games in which they both played well.

Owen was never a world class footballer. A very good goalscorer during his prime, no more.

Didn't Owen get European Footballer of the Year at one stage? Surely that suggests he was 'World Class' for atleast a certain period of his career.

Edit: It was the Ballon D'or. So basically a load of journalists thought he was the best player in the World, that must make him World Class, surely?

Is that a pisstake? We were absolutely s**** at that time. And those two only had two or three games in which they both played well.

Owen was never a world class footballer. A very good goalscorer during his prime, no more.

Agree with the first sentence, disagree with the second.

World class is a phrase hoyed around too liberally. Owen was never world class, Shearer was arguably world class but no certainty.

If Owen and Shearer weren't world class in their hayday then who the fuck was man?

Let's be honest, the game is about putting the ball in the net and I can't think of anyone better at doing that than Shearer. Definitely world class. He's the highest scoring prem player ever ffs.

Agree. Owen was world class up until he joined us and got injured too, imo.