Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

United managing director Derek Llambias spoke in his programme notes about the City Councils decision to grant planning permission for signs above St James.

He said: We were pleased with Newcastle City Councils decision to grant planning permission for signs displaying naming rights opportunities at St James.

At a time when some clubs face the threat of bankruptcy, the board at Newcastle have done much to improve the clubs financial stability in recent years and are committed to ensuring long-term security.

In doing so, it is essential that the club explores all avenues of potential revenue. The sale of the naming rights will provide significant additional income that will be used to strengthen the team.

Hmm.

my thoughts exactly,  if thats the case why not come out and say we are getting X amount per year from sports direct.

Because they haven't sold the naming rights to Sports Direct, they've put the signs up in order to sell the naming rights.

i read after the approval had been given that the guy who went to the council meeting on behalf of nufc said sports direct were the only bidders

Yeah, because they haven't yet sold the naming rights.

The hysteria of the Geordie nation, fuelled by a salivating press didn't do much to help attract potential bidders.

Once it's settles down the interest level will rise.

I think the problem may be a bit closer to home for yourself for the reason no one has wanted to do deal, remember what Del said  "To use an analogy, if you look at Gordon Ramsey’s restaurant at Claridges, nobody calls it that, they don’t call it Ramsey’s at Claridges, they just call it Claridges and that will be the same with St James’ Park.". So pay for a name no one is going to use, still he had high hopes "I'm sure we're going to get a sponsor in for next season."

Loved the line "The sale of the naming rights will provide significant additional income that will be used to strengthen the team.” when football clubs get any money or talk of potential money it is always going to be used for team strengthening & not paying the wages of admin team/cleaners/leccy bills/water/gas/matchday mongs etc.

United managing director Derek Llambias spoke in his programme notes about the City Council’s decision to grant planning permission for signs above St James’.

He said: “We were pleased with Newcastle City Council’s decision to grant planning permission for signs displaying naming rights opportunities at St James’.

“At a time when some clubs face the threat of bankruptcy, the board at Newcastle have done much to improve the club’s financial stability in recent years and are committed to ensuring long-term security.

“In doing so, it is essential that the club explores all avenues of potential revenue. The sale of the naming rights will provide significant additional income that will be used to strengthen the team.

Hmm.

my thoughts exactly,  if thats the case why not come out and say we are getting X amount per year from sports direct.

Because they haven't sold the naming rights to Sports Direct, they've put the signs up in order to sell the naming rights.

i read after the approval had been given that the guy who went to the council meeting on behalf of nufc said sports direct were the only bidders

I get the feeling we were never really looking to sell them as at the time the number empty corporate boxes looked at record high so the corporate £££'s were clearly not there & are still not at the levels they were.

I have a feeling that's utter bollocks. What on earth have corporate boxes got to do with naming rights? Boxes are used for entertaining, naming rights (and great big signs on the sides of buildings) are used for advertising.

United managing director Derek Llambias spoke in his programme notes about the City Council’s decision to grant planning permission for signs above St James’.

He said: “We were pleased with Newcastle City Council’s decision to grant planning permission for signs displaying naming rights opportunities at St James’.

“At a time when some clubs face the threat of bankruptcy, the board at Newcastle have done much to improve the club’s financial stability in recent years and are committed to ensuring long-term security.

“In doing so, it is essential that the club explores all avenues of potential revenue. The sale of the naming rights will provide significant additional income that will be used to strengthen the team.

Hmm.

I get the feeling we were never really looking to sell them as at the time the number empty corporate boxes looked at record high so the corporate £££'s were clearly not there & are still not at the levels they were.

I have a feeling that's utter bollocks. What on earth have corporate boxes got to do with naming rights? Boxes are used for entertaining, naming rights (and great big signs on the sides of buildings) are used for advertising.

Compaines have cut back on spending at sports & on sports.  You think naming rights is just big signs? It is a bit more than that, if that was the case Blue Line Taxis would be ideal.  In the main its about a company's brand name becoming engraved in the fans & media vocabulary (& minds) such as the Emirates, Reebok, Staples Center. It is not going to work at a established stadium such as St James Park, Anfield or Maddison Square Garden. If there was mileage in changing a established name the boys at Old Trafford would of done it by now & got the big pile of loot.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/177163264.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1287048394&Signature=kYZNGzjpmjYE0O4aZV55OxyjPhY%3D

This for real, or a photoshop?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/177163264.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1287048394&Signature=kYZNGzjpmjYE0O4aZV55OxyjPhY%3D

This for real, or a photoshop?

Ites dire all right!

Surely not!  :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Can't be real, man. Someone get in their Keegan Chopper and find out.

Behind the Gallowgate doesnt look right for some reason, seems like an older photo than the past week(then again i am always pissed when walking through there so could well be wrong haha)

Guest Roger Kint

Someone texted me a pic of the Gallowgate. :( :(

On a scale of 1 to George Best how drunk will i need to be to not notice how bad it is on Saturday?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I can't see shit either, could someone rehost it?

I'll see if I can find it again, it was a twitpic, probably the same one Dave had text to him. Couldn't tell if it was real or not, basically looked like they were putting SPORTS DIRECT on top, as in ON THE ROOF, of the Gallowgate. Looked a bit fake though.

Guest Stephen927

Was in SportsDirect yesterday (boo, hiss...), why the fuck do they sell clocks with the SD logo, and mugs? Do people buy these? :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

hey dont knock it when i ordered from them online they sent me a giant SD mug for free I use it to wash the paint brushers comes in handy.

surprised the white sprit hasn't managed to make it erode.

Cups are made from highly toxic lead.