Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The money gained from this advertising could well be covering Ben Arfa's proposed loan fee.  If that was the case would people look upon it more favourably. Said another way - if we get some more decent players in and the club is seen to be going forward then I would hope people would complain about this less.

Guest Brummiemag

The fcb just goes from one act of idiocy to another.

SJP will look like a tacky superstore not a true football stadium - and the heartbeat of a city in many peoples eyes. 

Yes and Ashley wouldn't understand that. Its an old saying but Ashley is the sort of bloke who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

The money gained from this advertising could well be covering Ben Arfa's proposed loan fee.  If that was the case would people look upon it more favourably. Said another way - if we get some more decent players in and the club is seen to be going forward then I would hope people would complain about this less.

The money from this deal may be used to pay kiosk staff or Llambias expense account.

Does anyone think SportsDirect are paying money for there signs at max I reckon its mates rates, reality says fuck all.

The money from this deal may be used to pay kiosk staff or Llambias expense account.

Does anyone think SportsDirect are paying money for there signs at max I reckon its mates rates, reality says f*** all.

I think you miss my point - if the club as a whole is seen to be ambitious and procure decent players then I'd say people would be less inclined to criticise this kind of move.  Their analysis of the unknowns (as lets face it - we know cock all) will be much more favourable

Guest thenorthumbrian

The fat cockney b*****d just does not get that fact that cheap ,grotesque advertising on St James' Park is not needed or wanted.

He goes from one blunder to another, St James' Park means more than just another football ground to so many people, to many it's the heartbeat of the city.

Would advertising of this type on the Theatre Royal, St Nicholas' Cathedral, the Tyne Bridge, the Castle Keep, Grey's Monument and other great Newcastle landmarks even be considered for a second ?

By sticking up advertising boards around SJP, will there be increased awareness of sportsdirect.com as a brand?  At what point does the advertising reach saturation point because at the moment everywhere you look you see that logo?  There must come a point where it is no longer effective because it is so familiar.

By sticking up advertising boards around SJP, will there be increased awareness of sportsdirect.com as a brand?  At what point does the advertising reach saturation point because at the moment everywhere you look you see that logo?  There must come a point where it is no longer effective because it is so familiar.

They are being applied for as examples, the sports direct logo if it does go up (which I doubt, whoever puts up the cash will get the spots) will be temporary.

Would advertising of this type on the Theatre Royal, St Nicholas' Cathedral, the Tyne Bridge, the Castle Keep, Grey's Monument and other great Newcastle landmarks even be considered for a second ?

If any of them were loss-making private businesses in a cash-hungry sport that depended on sponsorship for revenue then probably yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

apparently Ashley has the go ahead and the signs are ordered and will probably be in place before the next home game

Where have you heard that from? Doesn't seem to have been any public consultation from the council aside for being able to object?

Everyone has seen the success of Sportsdirect.com @ SJP & just left this alone.

Guest neesy111

a load of fuss about absoloutely nowt this.

Although I was angry over the naming of the stadium which hasn't happened.  I don't have a problem with this.  SportsDirect are a partner at the club, thus they want their own Advertising around the place.

Big deal over nowt. It's just advertising.

The stadium next to the one that used to be called Highbury is absolutely plastered with corporate advertising for Emirates and even named after them (whatever next !) and it's one of the best looking arenas in Europe.

Just sounds like a few Newcastle fans being up their own arse again about how special THEIR stadium is.

(Which of course it is)

Guest neesy111

So is this part of Ashley and Lambias plans of 'showcasing' what a sponsorship package would be like for potential new sponsors?

Quite possibly, because i'm sure they would rather have people paying for this kind of advertisement/sponsorship deal.