Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big deal over nowt. It's just advertising.

The stadium next to the one that used to be called Highbury is absolutely plastered with corporate advertising for Emirates and even named after them (whatever next !) and it's one of the best looking arenas in Europe.

Just sounds like a few Newcastle fans being up their own arse again about how special THEIR stadium is.

(Which of course it is)

Benny - Arsenal are getting £100 million from there sponsor. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/oct/05/business.marketingandpr

How much are we getting from Sportsdirect?

Remember is Ashley is not Sportsdirect.

I am sure if Microsoft, Tesco or Ronald McDonald came along with mega wedge most fans would buy into it but atm like most people I would be surprised if were getting decent coin from Sportsdirect.

So everyone who claimed Ashley couldn't possibly be pocketing money from NUFC was talking bollocks then? I'm not saying he is btw.

Ashley hasn't drawn a wage and hasn't taken any money out of the club so far.  He could in future but he can't take money out illegally which has been suggested at times.  He will probably start to take back his loans and nobody has suggested that he will never do that, I doubt he'll ever take a wage but it's possible.

Guest malandro

So everyone who claimed Ashley couldn't possibly be pocketing money from NUFC was talking bollocks then? I'm not saying he is btw.

Ashley hasn't drawn a wage and hasn't taken any money out of the club so far.  He could in future but he can't take money out illegally which has been suggested at times.  He will probably start to take back his loans and nobody has suggested that he will never do that, I doubt he'll ever take a wage but it's possible.

Yes they did. I loads got loads of abuse for suggesting he’d want his money back.

Has he really? Isnt he just loaning his OWN money to HIS club.

Yes he's loaning it, does that mean he isn't putting it in?

It means he is loaning the money. When I get I loan I don't class it as Natwest putting there money in for me, I call it loan.

Fair play to the fucker though they are big numbers he is putting but lets be honest he is doing it to save HIS company paying interest.

Mick do you think you & the anti NE5 crew who battled with the FIVE over many threads & pages have a certain view because of your anti-Fred/NE5 back in the day slogathons?

Yes they did. I loads got loads of abuse for suggesting hed want his money back.

What was the abuse?  I can't remember seeing it, I have seen people say that he hasn't taken any out yet and so far that's true.

It means he is loaning the money. When I get I loan I don't class it as Natwest putting there money in for me, I call it loan.

Fair play to the f***er though they are big numbers he is putting but lets be honest he is doing it to save HIS company paying interest.

Mick do you think you & the anti NE5 crew who battled with the FIVE over many threads & pages have a certain view because of your anti-Fred/NE5 back in the day slogathons?

true but to be fair do you think he'll get all his money back let alone make a profit ?

Fair play to the f***er though they are big numbers he is putting but lets be honest he is doing it to save HIS company paying interest.

When you get a loan from a bank you have to pay them back every month with interest, he's taken nothing so far.  As for your last sentence, that's daft, it has nothing to do with anybody else and I've had a go at Ashley plenty of times and have done so in this thread.  I've said that Sports Direct should pay for advertising in the last 5 or so pages but I'm not going to get hot and bothered if they don't because I think we have benefited indirectly through Ashley putting money in that he's made from Sports Direct, even if he eventually takes it back.

So you believe that this advertising will improve Sports Direct sales in Newcastle, meaning Ashley has more money to spend on us? Aside from the fact that I highly doubt that will be the case, whenever people suggest Ashley can take money from NUFC to Sports Direct they are roundly shouted down by others who say this isn't possible and/or is illegal in some way (I don't know the full ins and outs personally). Why then can it happen the other way around?

I'm not sure if Sports Direct sales will go up in Newcastle because of the adverts. As for moving money, Ashley will get paid as a Director and will get a dividend as a Share Holder so he'll not be directly moving money from one to the other. If he was taking a wage from us then nobody could stop him putting that money into Sports Direct if that's what he wanted to do with it.

Tbf i was under the impression that we have to earn money for him to take out dividends. If he does, it will show in the account.

He can pay back the "loans" to himself, but why should he at this moment, we are losing money according to the last set of accounts.

When we see the new set of accounts, we will see whats happens, until then, its just assumptions and not worth discussing imo.

Guest malandro

true but to be fair do you think he'll get all his money back let alone make a profit ?

No chance, but NUFC should be run for NUFC’s benefit. When we are apparently strapped for cash potential revenue streams should bring in revenue. Surely it’s better to earn money from selling the naming rights than borrow money from Ashley so his other company can have them for nowt?

Dont the signs he wants to put up say "SportsDirect.om@St. James' Park"? If so, most people were up in arms at that, and rightly so imo, so whats changed now? I understand that it will always be St. James' Park, and its not as if that name is going away, but its just something to dont tamper with imo, where's the respect for the history & heritage... not everything has a price surley... and especially in todays climate when the price would not be anywhere near the emirates sponsership.

He wants his loan money back that is a given. Will he make profit on money loaned + money used to buy the club, atm NUFC are a year 1 PL club that could go down so the answer has to be NO.  But then I reckon if you bought a stack HBOS, RBS, AIB, Wimpy, Barratt shares around the same time as he was paying £1 to SJH/other shareholders & £1.01 to the Shep boys you aint going to be making profit on them either.

He made 100's of millions out of Sports Direct shares with a launch price £2.76 & then buying large chunks back when the price was low (been as low as £0.32 at times) he cant have it all f***ing ways, with every business.

When you get a loan from a bank you have to pay them back every month with interest, he's taken nothing so far. 

Great spot, but if I had other money I could loan myself so I could pay the bank off save myself a few quid I would do that & guess what I would not charge myself interest either.

Great spot, but if I had other money I could loan myself so I could pay the bank off save myself a few quid I would do that & guess what I would not charge myself interest either.

Is that analogy supposed to be a close representation of what he's doing?

Is that analogy supposed to be a close representation of what he's doing?

It is what I would do if I could.

This is similar to the debate around John Hall who sub-contracted all building work to his own company Cameron Hall, and Shepherd hiring his brother's warehouse and using his own son as an agent. Seems like everyone wants to milk the cash cow at the expense of the club.

This is similar to the debate around John Hall who sub-contracted all building work to his own company Cameron Hall, and Shepherd hiring his brother's warehouse and using his own son as an agent. Seems like everyone wants to milk the cash cow at the expense of the club.

Hally man what a card. No surprise Cameron Hall developents work dried up once NUFC completed there ground building & Chas Chandler (The Animals) whacked up the Arena which meant it was pointless him/Sporting Club building another arena in NE1 for the Newcastle Eagles (Basketball) & Newcastle Cobras (Ice Hockey).

Big deal over nowt. It's just advertising.

The stadium next to the one that used to be called Highbury is absolutely plastered with corporate advertising for Emirates and even named after them (whatever next !) and it's one of the best looking arenas in Europe.

Just sounds like a few Newcastle fans being up their own arse again about how special THEIR stadium is.

(Which of course it is)

Benny - Arsenal are getting £100 million from there sponsor. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/oct/05/business.marketingandpr

How much are we getting from Sportsdirect?

Remember is Ashley is not Sportsdirect.

I am sure if Microsoft, Tesco or Ronald McDonald came along with mega wedge most fans would buy into it but atm like most people I would be surprised if were getting decent coin from Sportsdirect.

Thanks for pointing that out (courtesy of the Grauniad) Spenny.

However you've jumped in a bit quick as that particular point, and post, was relating to aesthetics and not money.

What money will it bring in? Considering Arsenal get £6.5m a year from Emirates.

Sorry for late reply Dave. Answer is -  I dunno. Who does ?

Nothing directly I would think, but there may be some chipping away at money owed ??

I'm sure if some airline or bank or something wanted it they'd get it but they obviously don't.

BTW I'm against the thing in principle but there again I'm pretty anti-sponsorship in general - much preferred Division 2 to the CCC.

Being pragmatic though, sadly we need to explore all commercial possibilities to compete in today's game.

Football sold it's soul a long time ago and this is just another step in that direction.

What money will it bring in? Considering Arsenal get £6.5m a year from Emirates.

Sorry for late reply Dave. Answer is -  I dunno. Who does ?

Nothing directly I would think, but there may be some chipping away at money owed ??

I'm sure if some airline or bank or something wanted it they'd get it but they obviously don't.

BTW I'm against the thing in principle but there again I'm pretty anti-sponsorship in general - much preferred Division 2 to the CCC.

Being pragmatic though, sadly we need to explore all commercial possibilities to compete in today's game.

Football sold it's soul a long time ago and this is just another step in that direction.

I think there is some official (UEFA?) requirement that the space has to be purchased at some notional "going rate" (this to limit the amount of money an owner can pump into a club indirectly via sponsorship).

Sounds like garbage.

Well, of course, it would to you. It's all about clubs breaking even – a concept you've repeatedly demonstrated your failure to understand.

Uefa will also seek to prevent owners bypassing the rules by means such as sponsorship. All deals will be market-tested for fair value, a move that might be noted at City, who this week announced a deal with the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/7765610/Uefa-president-Michel-Platinis-financial-fair-play-rules-set-to-be-approved.html

Is this stuff still going to happen?

if it does, who cares tbh? We have far more to worry about on the field  than some advertising around the ground