Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest malandro

Ludicrous over reactions on here. "Crushing the soul"- give me a f***ing break.

Embarassing.

Whats embarrassing is supporters not putting up a fight when the club they claim to love is being treated like s****. We can mock the Scousers but when it became clear H&G were taking the piss out of their club they at least tried to do something about it. We dont seem to care enough to even try.

:facepalm:

Nice to see the "You only care if you set Ashley's car on fire and shout nasty words at him" argument is back.

Personally I think boycotting cup games would be a better idea, but if you think arson is the best option who am I to disagree.

Guest malandro

would everyone be happy if it were adidas,puma or brown ale ?

The only logo I can think of that might not make aerial shots of the ground look total gash would be the Newcastle Blue Star, but even that would probably still detract from the overall aesthetics.

Its an irrelevant question anyway. What weve got is a huge version of the SportsDirect logo on painted of the roof of the Gallowgate and I doubt the most fervent of Ashley devotees would deny it looks cheap and tacky. 

is it really about how it looks, the round the pitch advertising and shirt advertising generally looks s***. i think if we were owned by someone else and it was sports direct plastering there name all over then people wouldn't be kicking up nearly so much.

and who were you in your previous incarnation ?

Its about not respecting the club.

so whats the difference between them putting advertising on the roof as opposed to round the pitch and on each and every strip ?

Scale. Hoardings don’t dominate the vista.

Not like madras to be contrary about something like this. Too cool for school.

not on my own for a change though and do you think there'd be this ammount of hand wringing if it were anyone except sports direct ?

Perhaps not quite as much no, but then the likes of Adidas and Brown Ale are not almost entirely symbolic of someone whose regime has overseen one of the worst periods in our recent history are they. :rolleyes:

Personally I maintain the idea is fucking disgusting and that would be the case whoever the 'sponsorship' was with. Daubing that huge shit on the stadium roof ffs, it's a joke. I don't think other companies would see fit to treat the vast majority of fans with such contempt though, so the point is moot. Clearly nobody felt it was a worthwhile or favourable proposition before now or something would already be up there. That is unless you are suggesting Mr Shepherd wouldn't do anything to try and increase his dividend.

Not going to bite again anyway. Cheers.

not on my own for a change though and do you think there'd be this ammount of hand wringing if it were anyone except sports direct ?

Perhaps not quite as much no, but then the likes of Adidas and Brown Ale are not almost entirely symbolic of someone whose regime has overseen one of the worst periods in our recent history are they. :rolleyes:

Personally I maintain the idea is fucking disgusting and that would be the case whoever the 'sponsorship' was with. Daubing that huge shit on the stadium roof ffs, it's a joke. I don't think other companies would see fit to treat the vast majority of fans with such contempt though, so the point is moot. Clearly nobody felt it was a worthwhile or favourable proposition before now or something would already be up there. That is unless you are suggesting Mr Shepherd wouldn't do anything to try and increase his dividend.

It was all "looked into" apparently, including the naming rights. :thup:

It would still be terrible to have a different companys name there - obviously its even worse being sports direct, but like someone just said, the point is the scale of it, its on top of the damn roof. When you see SJP from afar, you dont see the smaller advertisements, but now you cant miss SPORTS DIRECT, which will dominate what you see from some views. Advertisements are part of the game yes, having advertisement boards etc, and yes they are irritating, but surley this is too far?

I'd be less annoyed if I knew that someone had put a decent sum of money into the club for the right to paint their logo all over the shop.

250 million do?

Im not arsed tbh.  it looks shit- but fuck it. Ashleys a cunt- but his money may well have saved the club- but fuck it. Football is shit now cos of cheatig referees- Fuck it.

The Brown Ale logo or the Blue Star logo only seem acceptable because they are Iconic images associated with Newcastle as a city.

I doubt that other local industries/companies logos would work as well, even if they were not SD.  Even if you put up the logo of a financial company who employed 10,000 workers in Newcastle it would still look as bad as the SD logo.

It would still be terrible to have a different companys name there - obviously its even worse being sports direct, but like someone just said, the point is the scale of it, its on top of the damn roof. When you see SJP from afar, you dont see the smaller advertisements, but now you cant miss SPORTS DIRECT, which will dominate what you see from some views. Advertisements are part of the game yes, having advertisement boards etc, and yes they are irritating, but surley this is too far?

You'll not see it from a distance but you will see it for 90 minutes every two weeks from the Leazes and Level 7.

Personally I maintain the idea is f***ing disgusting and that would be the case whoever the 'sponsorship' was with. Daubing that huge s*** on the stadium roof ffs, it's a joke. I don't think other companies would see fit to treat the vast majority of fans with such contempt though, so the point is moot. Clearly nobody felt it was a worthwhile or favourable proposition before now or something would already be up there. That is unless you are suggesting Mr Shepherd wouldn't do anything to try and increase his dividend.

it's not a joke, it's jus the way things are going, its the natural progression from around the pitch to strip to ground, honestly thought ground would come before strip but there you go. and i also think (gasp shock horror) thats thisd is all kicking off cos of which company it is rather then the idea itself.

Guest malandro

Personally I maintain the idea is f***ing disgusting and that would be the case whoever the 'sponsorship' was with. Daubing that huge s*** on the stadium roof ffs, it's a joke. I don't think other companies would see fit to treat the vast majority of fans with such contempt though, so the point is moot. Clearly nobody felt it was a worthwhile or favourable proposition before now or something would already be up there. That is unless you are suggesting Mr Shepherd wouldn't do anything to try and increase his dividend.

it's not a joke, it's jus the way things are going, its the natural progression from around the pitch to strip to ground, honestly thought ground would come before strip but there you go. and i also think (gasp shock horror) thats thisd is all kicking off cos of which company it is rather then the idea itself.

It’s a particularly ugly logo and the club probably isn’t getting any income for it being splattered all over the ground. To pretend this is of no relevance would be to deny the truth. This doesn’t stop the fundamental principle being offensive to many; it merely makes it more intolerable.

About this time last year the renaming of the ground was announced and supporters made their disgust abundantly clear at the next match. Subsequently the club stopped talking about their plans to rename the ground and it was widely assumed the idea had been dropped. It is now fairly clear it wasn’t the idea that was dropped but what the club decided to call it. St James Park should be inviolate and you, me and every other supporter faces a simple choice. We can stand united against this subterfuge, or we can fight amongst ourselves. We cared last year, are we to be so easily manipulated into not giving a shit now?

It’s a particularly ugly logo and the club probably isn’t getting any income for it being splattered all over the ground. To pretend this is of no relevance would be to deny the truth. This doesn’t stop the fundamental principle being offensive to many; it merely makes it more intolerable.

About this time last year the renaming of the ground was announced and supporters made their disgust abundantly clear at the next match. Subsequently the club stopped talking about their plans to rename the ground and it was widely assumed the idea had been dropped. It is now fairly clear it wasn’t the idea that was dropped but what the club decided to call it. St James Park should be inviolate and you, me and every other supporter faces a simple choice. We can stand united against this subterfuge, or we can fight amongst ourselves. We cared last year, are we to be so easily manipulated into not giving a s*** now?

wrong,many  people said it didn't matter what the official name was as everyone would call it St James' park, much in the way that we still have the leazes,gallowgate,milburn and east stands......and guess what ? thats exactly what has happened.

as for it being an ugly logo........dont be daft, it's purely that the logo is ashleys company, if ashley had a fantastic logo for his company this would still be kicking off.

edit...i'd hope the club is getting money for it, though he'll probably say the intrest free loans are enough and it's really in order to attract others into what they could have.

What's the fuss about this? I'm surprised by the intense negative reaction. It just seems like part of modern football to me. There's advertisements all around the outside of the pitch. There's company names on everyone's shirt. There' s company logos on everyone's boots. Bolton's stadium actually has it's seats form a massive Reebok symbol as well as a large emblem on the front of the stadium. I'm not at the stadium, so maybe I am misunderstanding the issue, here. Why is it considered such an affront to the club?

The Brown Ale logo or the Blue Star logo only seem acceptable because they are Iconic images associated with Newcastle as a city.

I doubt that other local industries/companies logos would work as well, even if they were not SD.  Even if you put up the logo of a financial company who employed 10,000 workers in Newcastle it would still look as bad as the SD logo.

This

Bolton's stadium actually has it's seats form a massive Reebok symbol as well as a large emblem on the front of the stadium. I'm not at the stadium, so maybe I am misunderstanding the issue, here. Why is it considered such an affront to the club?

Boltons stadium has a Reebok emblem? I would never have guessed that, cheers for pointing it out. It would of been nice if it was local firms logo instead like that trainer company that was formed in Bolton in 1895.

I remember first time I went to Bolton being so depressed that every single thing had a sponsors logo on it. Even their stand opposite the main stand, named after one of their legends had a sponsors name attached to it.