Memories from the 70s, 80s, 90s

cp40

For those who watched us back then, was Moncur as much of a coward on the pitch?

On the way back some idiot rings in saying we need to "start experimenting with all the strikers" and "Ranger and Carroll are our best two because they have the little bit extra" Moncur says that he can see his point, complete w*****.

Ronaldo

Moncur could never be classified as a coward on the park. He was immense, possibly the best captain the club has had since the days of Joe Harvey.

He was also captain of a reasonably good Scotland International team.

Black and White Daft - the book - superb !!

Got it for Christmas - read about 40 pages so far and I was at most of the games mentioned up to now.

You almost forget about how bad it was back then compared to the sanitised state of the game nowadays.

It's good that this book will ensure those days are not forgotten.

Bought the book yesterday. I've only flicked through it so far. I'm saving it to read on the train to Plymouth tomorrow. It looks great though. Amazing the way things have changed over the years. While i have happy memories from that period as a teenager back then, it really was dangerous following football in those days. I'm surprised a generation of fans haven't gone missing, as it wasn't a good time to for parents to take bairns to games in that era.

Cp40, "Black and white daft" would be right up your street i would imagine. Plenty of KK memories in there.

I remember when we just got the scoreboard and someone put 'oops' on it when iirc Stuart Boam scored an own goal from outside the box with a header back to the keeper.

Still remember Paul Gascoigne scoring that goal against Chelsea which was just about as good as any I have seen. I was sat (yes sat) in the Leazes when they put that temporary seating up for some reason. Think it was something to do with the redevelopment of the Milburn perhaps?

Got it for Christmas - read about 40 pages so far and I was at most of the games mentioned up to now.

You almost forget about how bad it was back then compared to the sanitised state of the game nowadays.

Bought the book yesterday. I've only flicked through it so far. I'm saving it to read on the train to Plymouth tomorrow. It looks great though. Amazing the way things have changed over the years. While i have happy memories from that period as a teenager back then, it really was dangerous following football in those days. I'm surprised a generation of fans haven't gone missing, as it wasn't a good time to for parents to take bairns to games in that era.

Cp40, "Black and white daft" would be right up your street i would imagine. Plenty of KK memories in there.

cheers , i'll check that one out.

theres a canny facebook page for pictures from 80s 90s. the link is somewhere in here i think,... found myself on a couple pic aswell.

Guest 3-1 NYD

Joe Harvey sitting next to Bill Shankly in the Cup Final

Pre-season friendlys with Sunderland (not so friendly down their way!)

4-2 @ Pompey

2-0 @ Chelsea (check the attendance!!)

Lads selling counterfit tickets for the Smiths first gig at the Mayfair on the train to Manchester City 1984 (they worked!)

Mira's debut @ Norwich

West Ham away 85

Westwood is a pirate

Nottingham Forest pitch invasion

Winning 2-1 @ Anfield in the relegation season (days after being thumped at Sheff Utd in the league cup)

I could go on..........

I was sat (yes sat) in the Leazes when they put that temporary seating up for some reason. Think it was something to do with the redevelopment of the Milburn perhaps?

Yup - that sounds about right if memory serves.

put the season tickets up there, while they built Milburn.

I remember when we just got the scoreboard and someone put 'oops' on it when iirc Stuart Boam scored an own goal from outside the box with a header back to the keeper.

Still remember Paul Gascoigne scoring that goal against Chelsea which was just about as good as any I have seen. I was sat (yes sat) in the Leazes when they put that temporary seating up for some reason. Think it was something to do with the redevelopment of the Milburn perhaps?

I was in the Leazes that day too. Has anyone ever found footage of that Gazza goal? I'm sick of telling every f***er it's the best I've ever seen without evidence to back it up.

Beating Chelsea qualified us for the Mercantile Credit Classic tournament at Wembley, otherwise known as the meeting of the mobs...

I was in the Leazes that day too. Has anyone ever found footage of that Gazza goal? I'm sick of telling every f***er it's the best I've ever seen without evidence to back it up.

Beating Chelsea qualified us for the Mercantile Credit Classic tournament at Wembley, otherwise known as the meeting of the mobs...

Was that the tournament that we beat Liverpool and then lost to Tranmere?

If it was then I was at Wembley for that couple of games and it was weird sharing Wembley with fans from so many clubs.  We went clubbing on the Friday night and travelled down at 2am when the club closed.  We parked up at Wembley then got the tube into central London and started drinking all over again until we had to go back for the matches, which were crap.  I'm sure the mackems were in it because I seem to remember seeing loads of them on the way down but didn't see any once we hit London.

Me, harping on about the "black and white daft" book again. I was reading about a character called "Tommy", who worked around the Grainger Market. He used to get up on the Gallowgate barriers and sing "little white bull". Anyone remember him? I wondered to myself wether or not he was still alive, then co-incidentally he was on the same No 1 bus as me this afternoon, p***ed as usual. Question answered.

Me, harping on about the "black and white daft" book again. I was reading about a character called "Tommy", who worked around the Grainger Market. He used to get up on the Gallowgate barriers and sing "little white bull". Anyone remember him? I wondered to myself wether or not he was still alive, then co-incidentally he was on the same No 1 bus as me this afternoon, p***ed as usual. Question answered.

i had "Fernando was .........A LITTLE WHITE BULL" as my sig for quite a long time.

I've just finished the 80-81 season in the book, it's so amusing and yet depressing to read about it again.

Exeter away 0-4, the Oldham riot, The Specials Mayfair concert etc stand out, but I was at most of the matches written about and we were absolutely f@cking terrible and yet we turned up in such numbers (away) and gave amazing support week after week.

Our lowest ever goals total, truly crap players and shite grounds - no wonder there was so much fighting although by and large we were pretty oblivious to the violence and just laughed about it when it occured.

I still see some of the lads from those days regularly at the match - and like you say about Tommy - occasionally bump into someone in the pub or walking up to the ground.

I've never subscribed to the super fan thing but looking back maybe we deserve something for what we went through back then. Campaign medals could be belatedly presented to us at half time of some game.

Bought it from The Back Page yesterday. Look forward to reading it.

i'm loving the black and white daft book,  bought it at the weekend,  had hoped Santa would've got me it but he didn't!  Looking forward to the end of the year when the follow up book comes out,  1985-1989,  think i'll like that even more as i'll have been to those games,  this one is just before my time really,  KK's debut was my first game, couldn't see anything mind and apart from a couple of games that season it wasn't until the promotion season and Beardsleys arrival when i then got my season ticket in the family end paddock.  Stood next to old Stevie Charlton every home game or as me and my mate called him "feed the lions",  he used to stand and poke his toffees thru the fences saying feed the lions,  as 2 ten year olds we found this hilarious.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just thinking at the weekend that I miss clubs having their own choice of goalposts. Helped give each ground its own identity.

I hate that most of the clubs, certainly a majority of those in the top divisions, have these generic style goals. FA/UEFA directive I guess is it ?

Was just thinking at the weekend that I miss clubs having their own choice of goalposts. Helped give each ground its own identity.

I hate that most of the clubs, certainly a majority of those in the top divisions, have these generic style goals. FA/UEFA directive I guess is it ?

use to love the nets at portman rd - think they had white trim/lining along the base. just veery distinctive and cool