The FA Cup 2009/10 - NUFC get Plymouth (a) in the third round

Ashley17

Sounds pretty unrealistic to me, tbh. :lol:

Howay man, if Cardiff and Millwall can make the final why can't we? It's the luck of the draw.

I'm not saying we will, but we certainly can.

The FA Cup runner-up would still take the place if the winner had already qualified. The rule change stopped the semi-finalist (or worse) using it.

Everton technically took that last season even though they would have done so by their league position anyway. The FA cup spot is ranked highest of the Europa qualifying spots.

The ever reliant wikipedia says:

The fifth team automatically qualifies for the UEFA Europa League, and the sixth and seventh-placed teams can also qualify, depending on the winners of the two domestic cup competitions. If one of the cup winners qualifies for Europe through their league position, the sixth-placed team in the Premier League will qualify for the Europa League. If both of the cup winners qualify for Europe through their league position, the sixth and seventh-placed teams in the Premier League will qualify for the Europa League

But, UEFA say:

The losing finalist for the domestic cup competition will still be entitled to be entered for the UEFA Europa League should the domestic cup winners qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

Yet the Telegraph said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/uefacup/3023605/Back-door-route-into-Europe-is-shut-for-FA-Cup-final-losers---Football.html

Until now, beaten finalists have been allowed into the Uefa Cup whenever the winners have already qualified for the Champions League, a scenario that occurred repeatedly in England until this year’s final when Portsmouth, who finished eighth in the Premier League, beat Championship side Cardiff. 

So, in summary, I don't know. I don't think it'll matter (un)fortunately

This season being in lower division our luck might change. In saying the draw might be fair to them until the semis or final. just like Millwall and Southhampton fair in recent years. Even WBA go all the way to the final. So we should treat it properly who knows we might end up one big game away to a destiny.

Guest WashyGeordie

This season being in lower division our luck might change. In saying the draw might be fair to them until the semis or final. just like Millwall and Southhampton fair in recent years. Even WBA go all the way to the final. So we should treat it properly who knows we might end up one big game away to a destiny.

Plus the last time we lifted the cup we beat Plymouth in our first round-game aswell.

The omens are there!  :frantic:

Guest Brummiemag

I'm a daft fucker who conforms to the worn-out, inaccurate cliche that "Newcastle fans would rather win the Cup then the league", i absolutely adore the FA Cup - my first memories of supporting Newcastle come from the cup (ITV's the Big Match :aww: ), so i think that's why i have a personal affection for it moreso than the league... but you'd have to be daft to risk our important players in this absolutely nothing tie. Hughton's not stupid and i wouldn't be surprised to see another Peterborough-esque line-up. He learned from the Huddersfield game. You'd have to be off your tits to think we even have the remotest chance of winning the competition, but there's every chance of finishing first and winning promotion - which is also the priority.

The point is though, a bit of a cup-run, say to the quarters, is surely only a positive? No-one's saying you should take it seriously as in it being a realistic objective that you'll win it; I'm in disbelief as to how anyone can say this is a negative. I will repeat: I understand concerns regarding potential injuries, but in any given match you could pick up injuries. Give it a go ffs.

Spot on and a good cup run in the FA Cup and League Cup last season didnt do Burnley any harm!!

I'm a daft fucker who conforms to the worn-out, inaccurate cliche that "Newcastle fans would rather win the Cup then the league", i absolutely adore the FA Cup - my first memories of supporting Newcastle come from the cup (ITV's the Big Match :aww: ), so i think that's why i have a personal affection for it moreso than the league... but you'd have to be daft to risk our important players in this absolutely nothing tie. Hughton's not stupid and i wouldn't be surprised to see another Peterborough-esque line-up. He learned from the Huddersfield game. You'd have to be off your tits to think we even have the remotest chance of winning the competition, but there's every chance of finishing first and winning promotion - which is also the priority.

The point is though, a bit of a cup-run, say to the quarters, is surely only a positive? No-one's saying you should take it seriously as in it being a realistic objective that you'll win it; I'm in disbelief as to how anyone can say this is a negative. I will repeat: I understand concerns regarding potential injuries, but in any given match you could pick up injuries. Give it a go ffs.

What do you win for getting to the quarters like? Nowt but several pairs of tired legs if you ask me. The cup means nothing to us this year, i can't understand how anyone would disagree with that. If we sacrficed a long-term injury to Nolan or Taylor, if only for the sake of getting to the quarter-finals of a competition we were never, ever, ever going to win - i'd be fucking livid.

Guest Brummiemag

What you get by getting to the quarters is a usually a fucking good cup run with loads of good away days and loads of excitement - thats good enough for me and thats what being a football fan is all about. The cup means a lot to a hell of a lot of people this year and every year.

Trust me you wont get that sort of excitement in the premier league next season 

Right, I'll leave it after this one, probably because I'll wind myself up more.

No-one is saying the FA Cup is going to be a realistic aim to win.

No-one is saying you should play your absolutely strongest possible team.

BUT, why on earth shouldn't Newcastle United give it a go? As JH has said, it's not like this competition means you're playing every other midweek ffs. Have a bit of ambition man, a good cup run may slightly tire a couple of players but for the love of Peter Beardsley, it would get the city buzzing, give a clear sign to everyone else that NUFC are still alive and kicking and should be taken seriously, and all that sort of stuff. A bit of luck in the draw and who knows? Besides, since when has winning a couple of games been a bad thing?

To disregard the FA Cup entirely is nothing short of pathetic in my view.

well said neil lad. Cup games used to be class before people starting fucking about playing second strings. Used to be a guardnteed good atmos with away teams getting way more tix than normal

A victory or two against lower PL opposition would be a massive boost and would kick us on in the league as well.

Aye exactly. A good cup run breeds confidence and belief. There's doubts weather we could cop in the Premier league, IF we were to beat a prem team or two it would instill more belief in the players and confidence that they are much better than this level and good enough to stay in the PL.

A victory or two against lower PL opposition would be a massive boost and would kick us on in the league as well.

Aye exactly. A good cup run breeds confidence and belief. There's doubts weather we could cop in the Premier league, IF we were to beat a prem team or two it would instill more belief in the players and confidence that they are much better than this level and good enough to stay in the PL.

Plus the fact that we're winning constantly at the moment will give us more of a leverage going into the FA Cup - we've usually been shit in the league and so go into the FA Cup of the back of defeat and low morale.