The FA Cup 2009/10 - NUFC get Plymouth (a) in the third round

Ashley17

If we lost Taylor, Coloccini or both long term in a cup game would people still be as pleased we gave it a go?

As much chance that happening as a league game.

It would be a bigger kick in the dick if it was in an unimportant game, to me it would anyway.

Guest Brummiemag

If we lost Taylor, Coloccini or both long term in a cup game would people still be as pleased we gave it a go?

As much chance that happening as a league game.

It would be a bigger kick in the dick if it was in an unimportant game, to me it would anyway.

The FA Cup is important

If we play a few fringe (LuaLua, Krul etc.) with a few first teamers (Guthrie, Simpson etc.), and leave the important lot like Taylor and Enrique out, let's see how far we can go.

Don't see the problem in that.

I can't understand this 'I'd be pleased if we go out' mentality. It's frightening.

Why is it frightening?

It's extra games we could do without.  Our squad is too small and we could lose players through injury or fatigue from playing in such games and that could effect our performance in the league.  The main objective is to get promoted and not focus on a cup win.1

Of course the main objective is promotion, noone is opposing that. But we shouldn't be actively looking for defeat (which is what alot are saying - i.e. "the sooner we're out the better").

If we play a few fringe with a few first teamers (Guthrie, Simpson etc.), and leave the important lot like Taylor and Enrique out, let's see how far we can go.

I don't understand the "let's just put our under 15s on and get trounced" attitude.

I'm not stating promotion as the main objective because that point is in dispute, I'm saying it because that's the reason why some don't care if we field an under strength side and we lose.  I feel the same with your second sentence, I don't want just kids out there, but I would expect players who have played in most games this season or those who are tired should get a rest as we need them more in the promotion bid over a cup run.  If we do well in the cup then great, but I won't be losing any sleep if we don't get through to the next round. 

I only think this because we have a thin squad.  If our squad had another 3 or 4 players then I would think we could afford to commit resources to try and win both.

I'm also not saying we should lose on purpose, that is foolish, but that's very different from resting some key players and sadly not going through as a result.

It's great that fans think we have a chance and I take my hat off to anyone travelling for the tie. However, this season we need to look at the bigger picture and if an early exit means we can focus on promotion, then it's not a bad thing. It's imperative we get promoted this season. Not doing so would mean further reduced incomings, reduced gates, our few quality players leaving and most importantly, Ashley very likely keeping ahold of the club.

Guest Brummiemag

It's great that fans think we have a chance and I take my hat off to anyone travelling for the tie. However, this season we need to look at the bigger picture and if an early exit means we can focus on promotion, then it's not a bad thing. It's imperative we get promoted this season. Not doing so would mean further reduced incomings, reduced gates, our few quality players leaving and most importantly, Ashley very likely keeping ahold of the club.

And next season if we do get promoted, I guarantee that some people will be saying survival is the priority rather than the Cup and so it goes on, no chance of ever winning a trophy, year after year of grim premiership survival football (the same as the Boltons and Blackburns of this world) where the sole ambition is to stay up

The Boltons and Blackburns of this world are basically saying to their fans that you will never ever win a trophy because survival is our priority and we will continue to play weakened teams in the cup competitions. I dont want to end up like that

Much rather we take our chances, play the strongest possible teams in all cup games, and if we fail to get promoted or get relagated back next year then so be it, its a risk yes, but a risk worth taking, thats what football is all about.   

Unfortunately that's the way football has gone. It's now the case that for every ten domestic trophies, nine will be won by the big guns of the Premier League. I don't like it, but attitudes shown by the likes of Megson are understandable as staying up for a club like Bolton is valued far higher than a cup.

Past FA cup winners:

Liverpool

Manchester United 

Manchester United

Tottenham Hotspur 

Liverpool

Arsenal 

Arsenal

Manchester United

Everton

Manchester United

Chelsea

Arsenal

Manchester United

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Arsenal

Manchester United

Arsenal

Liverpool

Chelsea

Portsmouth

Chelsea

Ok you can argue Portsmouth were a bit shit compared but that team is still a million miles away from where we are now, sorry to sound defeatist but we have absolutely no chance of winning it.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and even with their ££££ Man City know winning the league is going to be fucking tough this year so will want the FA cup that bit more.

We won't win it, promotion must be priority 1,2,3 - 100.

Past FA cup winners:

Liverpool

Manchester United 

Manchester United

Tottenham Hotspur 

Liverpool

Arsenal 

Arsenal

Manchester United

Everton

Manchester United

Chelsea

Arsenal

Manchester United

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Arsenal

Manchester United

Arsenal

Liverpool

Chelsea

Portsmouth

Chelsea

Ok you can argue Portsmouth were a bit s*** compared but that team is still a million miles away from where we are now, sorry to sound defeatist but we have absolutely no chance of winning it.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and even with their ££££ Man City know winning the league is going to be f***ing tough this year so will want the FA cup that bit more.

We won't win it, promotion must be priority 1,2,3 - 100.

I would still like us to have a go. The games are played on a weekend anyway so arent like the League Cup where they can just tire players before league games. If I was a player I would be wanting the opportunity to test myself and an FA Cup run can boost moral. Of course the league is always more important, but thats the same every season whether you're challenging for Europe, promotion, or battling relegation.

I just think failure for promotion will be disastrous and fear if we don't do it this season we might not for a long time. Any injury risk is not work it.

A decent cup run won't detract from the promotion chase other than from an injury, which could be easily picked up in any other game. If anything, it might help morale and confidence within the squad if we can put together a decent string of wins against some decent teams and PL opposition.

I just don't buy the whole "IF WE PLAY A CUP MATCH, WE MIGHT GET AN INJURYY!!!" when it could happen in any game we play - whether it happens in an unimportant match or not is irrelevant. If Shola didn't get injured against Huddersfield, there's nothing to say he might not have picked it up the next weekend in the league. What's the difference? Injuries are injuries.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

The sensible side of me wants to rest all of our major players and just hope we go out in fairly dignified fashion so we don't have to worry about extra competitions, the Newcastle fan in me wants us to really go for a cup run.

It's a bollox match. We should just forget it and play our youngsters. The last time we tried to win a cup match (Huddersfield Carling Cup) Shola broke his foot and Jonas did a hamstring getting a 4-3 win - and where did that get us?

It's a bollox match. We should just forget it and play our youngsters. The last time we tried to win a cup match (Huddersfield Carling Cup) Shola broke his foot and Jonas did a hamstring getting a 4-3 win - and where did that get us?

We won four of the next five league games? :lol: