The FA Cup 2009/10 - NUFC get Plymouth (a) in the third round

Ashley17

I can't understand this 'I'd be pleased if we go out' mentality. It's frightening.

Why is it frightening?

It's extra games we could do without.  Our squad is too small and we could lose players through injury or fatigue from playing in such games and that could effect our performance in the league.  The main objective is to get promoted and not focus on a cup win.1

Of course the main objective is promotion, noone is opposing that. But we shouldn't be actively looking for defeat (which is what alot are saying - i.e. "the sooner we're out the better").

If we play a few fringe with a few first teamers (Guthrie, Simpson etc.), and leave the important lot like Taylor and Enrique out, let's see how far we can go.

I don't understand the "let's just put our under 15s on and get trounced" attitude.

I'm not stating promotion as the main objective because that point is in dispute, I'm saying it because that's the reason why some don't care if we field an under strength side and we lose.  I feel the same with your second sentence, I don't want just kids out there, but I would expect players who have played in most games this season or those who are tired should get a rest as we need them more in the promotion bid over a cup run.  If we do well in the cup then great, but I won't be losing any sleep if we don't get through to the next round. 

I only think this because we have a thin squad.  If our squad had another 3 or 4 players then I would think we could afford to commit resources to try and win both.

I'm also not saying we should lose on purpose, that is foolish, but that's very different from resting some key players and sadly not going through as a result.

And again, I agree that fans probably wouldn't be overly fussed if you go out because promotion is by all accounts your priority. What I am calling 'frightening' is an apparent active pursuit of defeat. 'Play a crap side, let's get out of this competition'. That is what I'm perplexed about.

Also in the context of the promotion push, the sheer regularity of your chasers dropping points suggests that if you get to, say, the Quarters and some fatigue did set in (which I don't think it will because of the fact there aren't a big quantity of FA Cup matches), then the sides around you are showing no signs of putting together long-term runs to catch you.

Hughton needs to ask himself which players we'd be f***ed without, and leave them in Newcastle. I'd expect the likes of Krul, Kadar, Kazenga, Pancrate, Butt, Geremi and Ranger to all play if fit. The loan lads probably won't be allowed to play (I'm not sure any of them will even still be here then, even Simpson's deal expires January 1st) and then a mix of youth and the less valued players to make up the rest of the team - probably Guthrie, R Taylor, and probably whichever of Lovenkrands, Shola and Carroll has been missing out for the first team over the festive period. I doubt it'll be a full strength team anyway, but I think it needs to be more competitive than the team we sent to Peterborough.

It's a bollox match. We should just forget it and play our youngsters. The last time we tried to win a cup match (Huddersfield Carling Cup) Shola broke his foot and Jonas did a hamstring getting a 4-3 win - and where did that get us?

We won four of the next five league games? :lol:

Er - I was referring to the fact that we lost away to Peterborough in the next round, with several of our youngsters on the pitch. So it got us nowhere. And we had to take Harewood on loan to replace Shola.

It's a bollox match. We should just forget it and play our youngsters. The last time we tried to win a cup match (Huddersfield Carling Cup) Shola broke his foot and Jonas did a hamstring getting a 4-3 win - and where did that get us?

Er - I was referring to the fact that we lost away to Peterborough in the next round, with several of our youngsters on the pitch. So it got us nowhere. And we had to take Harewood on loan to replace Shola.

...who for example scored a brace at the weekend?

Stop being so negative man.

Guest Stephen927

I would love a cup run, but there is always that chance, given our track record and our thin squad that an important player could get injured. This game should be used to give the likes of Pancake, Lua Lua, Inman, Vuckic etc a good run out alongside a handful of first team regulars.

We lost to Peterborough because we deliberately fielded a second string side - what's your point? :lol:

...who for example scored a brace at the weekend?

Stop being so negative man.

I am far from negative. In my opinion Ameobi would have done more for us than Harewood has in the games he's been involved in.

My point is simple. I am concerned that, at some point, we will hit a brick wall in the league and have a poor run. This might be down to injuries or poor form but I don't rule out Ashley pulling something out of the bag in January that sets us back - he's got form in that area. We will not create any waves in the FA Cup. I want to see us promoted, and racking up as many points as possible in the league whilst the going is good. Games like Plymouth away in the cup should not be a priority imo.

Guest Roger Kint

Shame its not at home, an empty stadiium would have been great as its not workable in a league game, then again i wouldnt trust anyone to carry it out

Shame its not at home, an empty stadiium would have been great as its not workable in a league game, then again i wouldnt trust anyone to carry it out

'you wouldn't trsut anyone to carry it out'

Is that perhaps because there aren't that many people who would want to carry it out?

Guest Roger Kint

'you wouldn't trsut anyone to carry it out'

Is that perhaps because there aren't that many people who would want to carry it out?

And that is why Ashley gets away with whatever he wants

anyone got a list of the last 20 or so runners-up? bet a few small teams made it - fancy a promotion/euro qualifiaction double this season

IIRC, FA Cup runners up no longer get the spot, it goes to the next place in the league.

The FA Cup runner-up would still take the place if the winner had already qualified. The rule change stopped the semi-finalist (or worse) using it.

Everton technically took that last season even though they would have done so by their league position anyway. The FA cup spot is ranked highest of the Europa qualifying spots.

I'm a daft fucker who conforms to the worn-out, inaccurate cliche that "Newcastle fans would rather win the Cup then the league", i absolutely adore the FA Cup - my first memories of supporting Newcastle come from the cup (ITV's the Big Match :aww: ), so i think that's why i have a personal affection for it moreso than the league... but you'd have to be daft to risk our important players in this absolutely nothing tie. Hughton's not stupid and i wouldn't be surprised to see another Peterborough-esque line-up. He learned from the Huddersfield game. You'd have to be off your tits to think we even have the remotest chance of winning the competition, but there's every chance of finishing first and winning promotion - which is also the priority.

I'm a daft fucker who conforms to the worn-out, inaccurate cliche that "Newcastle fans would rather win the Cup then the league", i absolutely adore the FA Cup - my first memories of supporting Newcastle come from the cup (ITV's the Big Match :aww: ), so i think that's why i have a personal affection for it moreso than the league... but you'd have to be daft to risk our important players in this absolutely nothing tie. Hughton's not stupid and i wouldn't be surprised to see another Peterborough-esque line-up. He learned from the Huddersfield game. You'd have to be off your tits to think we even have the remotest chance of winning the competition, but there's every chance of finishing first and winning promotion - which is also the priority.

The point is though, a bit of a cup-run, say to the quarters, is surely only a positive? No-one's saying you should take it seriously as in it being a realistic objective that you'll win it; I'm in disbelief as to how anyone can say this is a negative. I will repeat: I understand concerns regarding potential injuries, but in any given match you could pick up injuries. Give it a go ffs.

I'm a daft f***er who conforms to the worn-out, inaccurate cliche that "Newcastle fans would rather win the Cup then the league", i absolutely adore the FA Cup - my first memories of supporting Newcastle come from the cup (ITV's the Big Match :aww: ), so i think that's why i have a personal affection for it moreso than the league... but you'd have to be daft to risk our important players in this absolutely nothing tie. Hughton's not stupid and i wouldn't be surprised to see another Peterborough-esque line-up. He learned from the Huddersfield game. You'd have to be off your tits to think we even have the remotest chance of winning the competition, but there's every chance of finishing first and winning promotion - which is also the priority.

The point is though, a bit of a cup-run, say to the quarters, is surely only a positive? No-one's saying you should take it seriously as in it being a realistic objective that you'll win it; I'm in disbelief as to how anyone can say this is a negative. I will repeat: I understand concerns regarding potential injuries, but in any given match you could pick up injuries. Give it a go ffs.

:thup:

Look at some of the finalists in the past few years. Pompey, Cardiff, Millwall, Southampton, West Ham. Even if they didnt win it, getting to the final is a hell of an achievement in itself. And if the winner is one of the top six, Europe also beckons.

It's certainly not unrealistic.