Barnsley 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 12/12/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

Guest firetotheworks

Butt and Smith central midfield. Is it any wonder we cant keep the ball? Come back Joey Danny, asap.

Guthrie wasn't picked when he was available, in fact he's played very few matches in the centre.

I know, and its daft. Id love him back in the middle.

WTF is going on on Radio Newcastle :lol:

Yeah, their still doing it!

:lol:

Is he taking a dump now?

what happened?

Ando and Lowes thought they where off air, but they werent.

they talk shit anyway, im surprised you could tell the diffrence.

The swearing gave it away :lol:

Just a few thoughts really:

It's frustrating how Butt is keeping Guthrie out the side. The lad is one of our better distributors of a football, Butt isn't. While Butt isn't to blame for us conceding two today I can gurantee having two technically poor central midfielders in the middle didn't help, we were really under the cosh at times in the second half.

Which brings me to Hughton. I'm not going to slate the guy who has just lead a team to seven wins on the trott but its strange how his mind works at times. We were really under pressure in the second half and we needed an outlet. That is why taking Jonas off and failing to use Lovenkrands was disappointing. Kadar isn't a great player but he's still better than Khiz who looks woefully off the pace, I can see why he went for experience under the circumstances though. I'm uncertain why he is so reluctant to stick two up front away from home, if he tried it I think we'd see less pressure being exerted by the opposition.

Overall I'm happy with the result, Barnsley are starting to hit a bit of form under Robbins and we took a point from a game we were throughly outplayed in at times. The run was always going to come to an end and its really positive the players looked so disappointed at the final whistle. The way we play means we are going have to ride out luck today and while there were elements of fortune about Barnsley's first they throughly deserved their point. Two home games coming up next so hopefully we can build on the cushion we've built over previous weeks.

Butt and Smith central midfield. Is it any wonder we cant keep the ball? Come back Joey Danny, asap.

Guthrie wasn't picked when he was available, in fact he's played very few matches in the centre.

If he can't get in the side when Barton and Nolan are out you have to wonder if he's got a future here tbh.

Annoying to be pegged back late on but we can't expect to win every single game, especially away from home - other teams have dropped points all over the place.

Need to bounce back and beat Boro. A 50,000+ crowd would be tremendous. 

No panic here.

Guest firetotheworks

If he can't get in the side when Barton and Nolan are out you have to wonder if he's got a future here tbh.

:sadnod:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I'm over the moon that we've managed to take a point from the high flying Barnsley who started the day in 9th position.

We're going to drop points at some time and at least we didnt get beat. The form of Barnsley over the last 10 games is higher than 9th too since they changed their manager.

Could have won it on another day but could also have lost it if Harewood hadnt got that second goal. Sense of perspective required.

How am I not surprised that after being in France for 4 years you want to 'share the points' with other teams, godd damn communist scum

I'm over the moon that we've managed to take a point from the high flying Barnsley who started the day in 9th position.

We're going to drop points at some time and at least we didnt get beat. The form of Barnsley over the last 10 games is higher than 9th too since they changed their manager.

Could have won it on another day but could also have lost it if Harewood hadnt got that second goal. Sense of perspective required.

When I said 9th I should have added bottom to that.

This game was just like so many before, our midfield is overrun on a regular basis and we started the game with Smith, Butt and Nolan which has as much pace as a two legged dog which puts us under so much pressure.

Didnt even check :lol: Was just trying to highlight their current good form.

Guthrie instead of Butt is what most people want to see but i've seen many games pass Guthrie by too and he isnt exactly pacey.

Since we've been lucky to win many games this season it seems a bit churlish to single out anyone for dropping a couple of away points against an in form side.

How am I not surprised that after being in France for 4 years you want to 'share the points' with other teams, godd damn communist scum

Fuck you, shitnose!

Guest firetotheworks

This game was just like so many before, our midfield is overrun on a regular basis and we started the game with Smith, Butt and Nolan which has as much pace as a two legged dog which puts us under so much pressure.

Didnt even check :lol: Was just trying to highlight their current good form.

Guthrie instead of Butt is what most people want to see but i've seen many games pass Guthrie by too and he isnt exactly pacey.

Since we've been lucky to win many games this season it seems a bit churlish to single out anyone for dropping a couple of away points against an in form side.

First off, Im not complaining about the result or anything. I agree with what you're saying about Barnsley being an in form side and it being a decent result etc.

But the Guthrie point, whilst true, doesn't really hold water when the alternative is Nicky Butt.

Disappointing that we've lost two leads but a point isn't a bad result at the end of the day.

As much as I admire what he's done this year in terms of keeping the squad together, if we go up then Hughton absolutely must not be manager in the Premiership next year. He does things that you just won't get away in the Premiership, and it seems pretty clear that the senior members of the squad have far more say in team selection than the ought to.

We'll need a real manager if we're gonna move in the right direction, long term.

Just need Butt to consistently pick up injuries between now and the end of the season and we should go up no bother though.

Its been coming for the last 4 games. We still have to find places for slow players in this team for some reason to give the opposition a chance. I dont get it.

Someone at The radio station is getting the sack tonight also. I thought I was hearing things till it was confirmed on here..

That's the way our away form has been though. We sit back and absorb pressure then attempt to nick a goal at the other end, it's not ideal but it has been effective for the most part.

I think Hughton does this because he knows we struggle to play football. Our midfield, the key reason we were relgated, has barely changed, only Guthrie can pass a football consistantly. While for the most part we get away with this at home, away teams will have a go, consequently they'll enjoy long spells of possession. Luckily for us most teams at this level don't know how to capitalise, today Barnsley did.

While it's frustrating Hughton chooses to play this way we've managed to win six out of eleven games on the road, which when you consider our home form is a very good return. If we went two up top and had a go I think our away form would probably look even better, but while we're top of the league with an eight point cushion it is difficult to complain.