Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

It took him 10 years to get 40 goals when he was actually a decent player.

His goals to games ratio speaks for him, though.

I'm not a fan of Owen, but the stats he has at any club before Man Utd (even there, when you only count starts) are massive.

10 years playing as poacher with the likes of Beckham, McManaman, Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard supplying him against the likes of Luxembourg and he manages 40 goals. I'm not impressed with that. Robbie Keane's record is impressive.

At us he managed 1 in 3 starts. What's impressive about that?

I'm not a fan of Owen, but the stats he has at any club before Man Utd (even there, when you only count starts) are massive.

10 years playing as poacher with the likes of Beckham, McManaman, Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard supplying him against the likes of Luxembourg and he manages 40 goals. I'm not impressed with that. Robbie Keane's record is impressive.

There were other teams he scored again then Luxembourg.

My statement was more about his goal scoring record at club football anyway...

Guest Chubby Jason

He scored against better teams than Luxembourg man :lol:. And if you take into account the players that supplied the chances for him, the midfield while he was here was abject most of the time.

It's a record I'd expect from a poacher at big clubs. Still never managed 20 PL goals in a season.

As for his starts at Man U, he still hasn't scored a league goal. So I've no idea what you're getting at there.

Just checked his stats at Man U.... have to agree there.

You've actually got a point with the 'never scored 20 league goals', too.

Just by looking at his stats it seems like a great record, looking a bit deeper into it it probably doesn't anymore. :undecided:

Scored 4 in Munich, didn't he?

He was a great player but wasted it with his lack of ambition and attitude.

Hatrick, Gerrard and Heskey got the others.  Also remember Nicky Barmby played, as he often did at that time.

For the Germans?

I honestly don't think Barmby played :lol:

If he did, goodness me, either I'm losing my memory having just turned 30 or I had blocked out his entire existence since the mid-1990s.

It's a record I'd expect from a poacher at big clubs. Still never managed 20 PL goals in a season.

As for his starts at Man U, he still hasn't scored a league goal. So I've no idea what you're getting at there.

you're wrong he scored a very important one

Edit: got 5 apparently

Barmby definitely played.

That game marked a turning point for both countries and Germany won in the end. Germany saw Carsten Jancker upfront and realised they had to change their whole system, England thought they had a chance of winning the world cup for the next 10 years with Emile Heskey upfront.

Barmby definitely played.

That game marked a turning point for both countries and Germany won in the end. Germany saw Carsten Jancker upfront and realised they had to change their whole system, England thought they had a chance of winning the world cup for the next 10 years with Emile Heskey upfront.

Germany still had Jancker up front for the 2002 world cup, though. :lol: (And finished 2nd.....)

He only managed less than 1 in 2 goals for Liverpool once. His record there is very strong.

Just checked his stats at Man U.... have to agree there.

You've actually got a point with the 'never scored 20 league goals', too.

Just by looking at his stats it seems like a great record, looking a bit deeper into it it probably doesn't anymore. :undecided:

OMFG you weren't lying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_1%E2%80%935_England_(2001)#Match_details

With McManaman, Heskey and Fowler in the squad! :lol: This was like a freaking reunion.

I've always been in a minority who didn't jizz so much over that game. I mean yes, it was a great scoreline, but Germany were outrageously bad at that time. Like unbelievably awful. Good win, but the way some fawn over it is a bit embarrassing IMO. Bringing out a DVD of a qualifying game ffs.

The tally is 0.

The tally is 0.

no its not :kinnear: