Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

I think Owen is right that we only deal in extremities and there is no in between. It's been said by Mick Lowes and John Anderson recently as well, not just the c*** that Owen is. That's not to say we don't have a reason to be livid right now, but i do think more than most clubs it is in our nature to put a significant amount of emotion in.

Oh ffs what toss. We are no worse than any other fans.

He was 1 in 2 pretty much every season he played a good amount of games in.

In his club career he's got 222 goals in 482 appearances. That's pretty bloody good.

Technically, like any L'pool youth academy product he was sound. Zidane he was not but his all-round game was leagues ahead of the likes of Defoe, Bent or Cisse. A better striker and footballer than the likes of Pippo Inzaghi imo.

He wasnt technically good at all. If he was, his loss of pace wouldnt have detracted from his game so much. And he was also extremely one footed. He was an instinctive finisher with pace in his prime. That's basically all there was to him.

Injuries have bigger effect than pace. Players that lose their pace due to age rather than injuries tend to perform better.

Technically he wasn't world class but that doesn't mean he wasn't good technically at all. Being a good finisher requires good technique too.

I still thought he was a good player for us, especially when KK moved him behind Viduka and Martins in a frint three.  So Owen could arrive late and not have to rely on his pace.

He was a very good footballer infact.

Just doesn't seem to own a heart.

http://images.elephantjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-man-from-the-wizard-of-oz-the-wizard-of-oz-4129262-550-403.jpg

while he is correct in the basics it goes beyond that, simply put things could be a lot worse (and lord knows they have been) but things could be a lot better the club runs with a skeleton staff on all levels from the boardroom and money departments etc to the coaching staff right down to the playing staff. It doesn't require massive investment to improve 2 of those, more better qualified people on a board level will improve basic things like communication and PR (which is a disaster area) to the more complex like better sponsorship deals to maximize the resources available to the club.

An increased coaching staff would bring new ideas to the table on the first team level and other ways of coaching and maybe even new tactical idea's, increasing the coaching staff further down increases the probability of bringing through youngsters to the first team and saving money in the long run. Hell even the scouting department could do with a little more investment, more scouts covering a wider area so we're not just trying to tap into a depleting market in France where they've more than caught up with our transfer tactics.

The playing side is a bit more difficult and while in the short to medium term we'll never be able to match the spending power of City, Chelsea and co that doesn't mean we should give up. They can have greater proven quality of depth in squad than us obviously but we don't bother with depth at all, the best tactic for us to try to compete is either improve our academy (not a quick fix) or take gambles on young players from for example the lower leagues sure it mightn't work but better than trying to stand still which will only end up in us going backwards.

Also f*** you owen f*** you

Basically, Owen's correct points are facile. For the approach Ashley has adopted we are on par but that approach has shockingly low ambition. We've been more successful than Spurs/Everton for periods in recent history, our aim should at least to get on their footing. The problem is not that we aren't there, the problem is that we won't even try.

The cub stuff is an absolute joke.

while he is correct in the basics it goes beyond that, simply put things could be a lot worse (and lord knows they have been) but things could be a lot better the club runs with a skeleton staff on all levels from the boardroom and money departments etc to the coaching staff right down to the playing staff. It doesn't require massive investment to improve 2 of those, more better qualified people on a board level will improve basic things like communication and PR (which is a disaster area) to the more complex like better sponsorship deals to maximize the resources available to the club.

An increased coaching staff would bring new ideas to the table on the first team level and other ways of coaching and maybe even new tactical idea's, increasing the coaching staff further down increases the probability of bringing through youngsters to the first team and saving money in the long run. Hell even the scouting department could do with a little more investment, more scouts covering a wider area so we're not just trying to tap into a depleting market in France where they've more than caught up with our transfer tactics.

The playing side is a bit more difficult and while in the short to medium term we'll never be able to match the spending power of City, Chelsea and co that doesn't mean we should give up. They can have greater proven quality of depth in squad than us obviously but we don't bother with depth at all, the best tactic for us to try to compete is either improve our academy (not a quick fix) or take gambles on young players from for example the lower leagues sure it mightn't work but better than trying to stand still which will only end up in us going backwards.

Also f*** you owen f*** you

The cub stuff is an absolute joke.

Howay man, I felt really proud when they gave me a new badge.  Uniform was a bit dodgy like but still.

He was 1 in 2 pretty much every season he played a good amount of games in.

In his club career he's got 222 goals in 482 appearances. That's pretty bloody good.

Technically, like any L'pool youth academy product he was sound. Zidane he was not but his all-round game was leagues ahead of the likes of Defoe, Bent or Cisse. A better striker and footballer than the likes of Pippo Inzaghi imo.

He wasnt technically good at all. If he was, his loss of pace wouldnt have detracted from his game so much. And he was also extremely one footed. He was an instinctive finisher with pace in his prime. That's basically all there was to him.

Injuries have bigger effect than pace. Players that lose their pace due to age rather than injuries tend to perform better.

Technically he wasn't world class but that doesn't mean he wasn't good technically at all. Being a good finisher requires good technique too.

I'm with Incognito on this one. Technically he was poor, but in his prime he was amazingly fast, and that's where he built his reputation.

We bought him as his pace was going, at too high a price, and when he'd already said he didn't want to come. That's not Owen's fault, but it was one of the silliest transfers of all time and symptomatic of the madness that seems to overtake our club from time to time.

We had a poster on here years ago who, now I look back, I swear easily could have actually been Michael Owen. He made loads of posts in various places, but they were all long spiels about Owen. Never anything else. Forgotten his name.

We had a poster on here years ago who, now I look back, I swear easily could have actually been Michael Owen. He made loads of posts in various places, but they were all long spiels about Owen. Never anything else. Forgotten his name.

The lad with the Owen pro-evo avatar up until like last year?

Nah, was years ago. He didn't have an avatar. Literally every single post was a long one about Michael Owen, without exception. Have a feeling it was something99, or summat.

Ah well, it's neither important or interesting.

I fucking hate this twat like.

What really fucking boils my piss is the fact that the media run with this whole "Overly-ambitious Geordie nation" bollocks, which- if anyone spent enough time in the area / supporting the team would understand. People like Owen don't understand because they didn't integrate and didn't want to know. He just wanted to get his pay packet and fuck off (cannot necessarily blame him for that, but to question the fans ambition is bullshit for the afore-mentioned reason).

Why shouldn't we be ambitious? We have the fan base. We have the stadium. We have the billionaire owner...just fuck off man Owen - you utter cunt.

Actually have a page in our objection handling document at work to handle complaints about his commentary... :lol:

I am a Southerner so obviously not around Newcastle supporters every day but everyone I speak to hates him.

Actually have a page in our objection handling document at work to handle complaints about his commentary... :lol:

I am a Southerner so obviously not around Newcastle supporters every day but everyone I speak to hates him.

We get so many complaints about him someone had to devise a way to deal with it. Think on that man :lol:

• 4 weeks later...