Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Quite a big error by Fergie to sign Owen, a lot of the wage bill probably going on this little waster.

I forget how young he is, he still should be at the top of his game. Not sure whether to put it down to injuries, lack of desire, or both.

If he was really hungry he would have gone to Wigan or somewhere like that and played every week. Then he might have had a chance of playing himself back into the England squad. Going to Man Utd was effectively international retirement.

I forget how young he is, he still should be at the top of his game. Not sure whether to put it down to injuries, lack of desire, or both.

At 30 and the injuries he's had, he's lost that pace and acceleration and that was Owen's game.  Without that he's nowhere as effective as he once was.

I think Owen thought he could recreate the Rooney-Owen partnership that does well for England and with more quality service, he probably though it was the right move to Man U.  But I'm glad it's fallen flat :D

Guest Roger Kint

Quite a big error by Fergie to sign Owen, a lot of the wage bill probably going on this little waster.

It was widely acknowledged his wages are considerably reduced and heavily incentive based tbh

He shouldn't have gone to Man Utd.  Did he really think that he was going to over take Rooney and Berbatov as first team striker? - What a fool if so.  Should have gone to a mid-table club where he would have been given the games each week.

That is his arrogance though - probably thought being a bit part player at Man Utd, with added european appearances would be better for his profile/England chances than playing domestically every week (injuries permitting) for a mid-table team.

Don't think he ever expected to start every game/displace Rooney or Berb, but he'd have thought being sub there would be enough.

Happily, it seem's not.

I'm sure Capello has said publically that he would only pick Owen if he played regularly and scored goals, so he was silly to think playing as a sub and in some cup competitions that it would be enough to get back in to the England squad. 

Owen should fuck off to USA now and pick up a big salary playing out there and forget about playing for England.

Long way down the pecking order now.

Rooney

Defoe

Bent

Crouch

Heskey

Agbonlahor

Carlton Cole

shit, I'd even put Zamora ahead of the little wanker on current form.

Yeah I would too!

My 4 for World Cup is...

Rooney

Defoe

Crouch

Agbonlahor

and Bent if we want 5 or if one of those gets injured.

Rooney

Defoe

Bent

Crouch

Heskey

Agbonlahor

Carlton Cole

Yeah I would too!

My 4 for World Cup is...

Rooney

Defoe

Crouch

Agbonlahor

I honestly don't think I'd put Agbonlahor in the squad, *but* his pace is quite unbelievable, as is the workrate with it, and I can see situations where being able to bring on a player like him would be more beneficial than just having more of the same on the bench.

Walcott has pace as well, he just scores a lot less.

Guest JamesyJazz

Left out the squad again.

Great management by Fergie. Sideline the whiny little c*** before he spreads his attitude through the squad like cancer.

Knowing our luck we'll get landed with the horse fiddler back here on loan!

Rooney

Defoe

Bent

Crouch

Heskey

Agbonlahor

Carlton Cole

Yeah I would too!

My 4 for World Cup is...

Rooney

Defoe

Crouch

Agbonlahor

I honestly don't think I'd put Agbonlahor in the squad, *but* his pace is quite unbelievable, as is the workrate with it, and I can see situations where being able to bring on a player like him would be more beneficial than just having more of the same on the bench.

Walcott has pace as well, he just scores a lot less.

Walcott can pretend to play on the wing though. Can Agbonlahor?

Guest Heneage

How does Bent not get picked?

Plays for mackems? Anyway, they've got plenty left-backs in the squad.

I feel sorry for the guy, 15 goals and he still doesn't get in, I like Capello but all of this 'I pick on form.' Is bollocks.

How does Bent not get picked?

Plays for mackems? Anyway, they've got plenty left-backs in the squad.

I feel sorry for the guy, 15 goals and he still doesn't get in, I like Capello but all of this 'I pick on form.' Is bollocks.

Ditto.

Quite interesting to see Fergie say Owen will be still there next season. Also that he's take part in every training session surprises me.

"He has done well here, he has been a success," Ferguson says. "He's a great professional, he's never missed a training session, his performances in training have been very good, and I think he has improved as a footballer in his time here.

"His general knowledge of the game is better, so is his linking play, and for the first time in his career he is getting used to coming on as a sub. I think he's enjoying being a part of it here and he'll definitely be here next season because I have absolutely no intention of letting him go. The only problem Owen has got at the moment is Wayne Rooney. We're getting incredible performances from Rooney at the moment, and Michael has come here at a time when another striker, and sometimes the only one we use, is on the rise."

[...]

"Getting used to playing as sub may be an advantage in the long term. Even though he's not figuring a lot for us, he's still the one player you would want on your bench if you need to make a change with 15 minutes to go in a World Cup quarter-final. That has to be in your thinking. It's going to be difficult for him to get to South Africa I know, it's a big ask to pick a player who is not playing, but I don't need to tell Fabio how to do his job. He's an experienced manager who knows what he wants and he knows what striking options are available."

The full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/28/michael-owen-england-carling-cup

Quite interesting to see Fergie say Owen will be still there next season. Also that he's take part in every training session surprises me.

"He has done well here, he has been a success," Ferguson says. "He's a great professional, he's never missed a training session, his performances in training have been very good, and I think he has improved as a footballer in his time here.

"His general knowledge of the game is better, so is his linking play, and for the first time in his career he is getting used to coming on as a sub. I think he's enjoying being a part of it here and he'll definitely be here next season because I have absolutely no intention of letting him go. The only problem Owen has got at the moment is Wayne Rooney. We're getting incredible performances from Rooney at the moment, and Michael has come here at a time when another striker, and sometimes the only one we use, is on the rise."

[...]

"Getting used to playing as sub may be an advantage in the long term. Even though he's not figuring a lot for us, he's still the one player you would want on your bench if you need to make a change with 15 minutes to go in a World Cup quarter-final. That has to be in your thinking. It's going to be difficult for him to get to South Africa I know, it's a big ask to pick a player who is not playing, but I don't need to tell Fabio how to do his job. He's an experienced manager who knows what he wants and he knows what striking options are available."

The full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/28/michael-owen-england-carling-cup

Yes but Ferguson isn't exactly renowned for admitting his own mistakes is he.