Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Not especially worried by who's gone. Smith, Kadar and Forster were irrelevant last season so won't be missed. That only leaves Guthrie, Simpson and Best. We've already signed Amalfitano, so that's Guthrie replaced and we're allegedly very close to signing Debuchy with strong rumours over Hoilett too. Admittedly, Hoilett is a different player to Best but if anything he'll fit into the 2 wide positions of our 4-3-3 better than Best did anyway.

As well as signings, you've got to factor in player progression as well. Abeid, Tavernier and possibly some others might be able to make a step up next season and offer us more in-depth cover even though they won't be new signings as such. Plus I have started to trust the club again to get the right people in, they're aware of where we're short and what needs doing and I'm sure we'll get it done.

Current Squad is:

Goalkeepers: Krul, Harper, Elliot

Defenders: Danny Simpson, Ryan Taylor, James Perch, Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor, Davide Santon, Frabicio Coloccini

Midfield: Hatem Ben Arfa, Gabriel Obertan, Cheik Tiote, Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux, Dan Gosling, Mehdi Abeid, Haris Vuckic, Romain Amalfitano, Jonas Gutierrez, Shane Ferguson, Sami Ameobi

Forwards: Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba, Shola Ameobi, Xisco, Nile Ranger

Looking at the squad Id say we need a fullback,  centreback and striker. Then replace whoever else leaves. Can probably afford to let Vuckic, Abeid or Gosling go out on loan. A defensive midfielder wuld be good as well.

Agreed, although if the right deal is there i think we will sign a midfielder too.

Can Reading afford to offer him more than the 25k a week he (allegedly) turned down from us?

They used to pay quite low wages but maybe that has changed with the new owner as  I wouldn't have thought they could have afforded to sign the Russian player (Pog......) ahead of Fulham.

I don't mind Simpson. Like I've said many times before, he's an unspectacular RB who is capable of doing a decent job. Unfortunately, he's limited in an attacking sense but he is just about alright defensively. He would be decent enough backup imo and I would keep him on.

In any case, if he goes, he goes.

I don't mind Simpson. Like I've said many times before, he's an unspectacular RB who is capable of doing a decent job. Unfortunately, he's limited in an attacking sense but he is just about alright defensively. He would be decent enough backup imo and I would keep him on.

Isn´t good enough.

Guest BooBoo

Mildly concerned that we're seeing first team squad players on the way out and only one youngster in so far.

There can't have been too many summers when we've yet to make a transfer breakthrough by the second week of July.

Guest firetotheworks

Isn´t good enough.

Decent at defending is certainly good enough as a back up.

Mildly concerned that we're seeing first team squad players on the way out and only one youngster in so far.

There can't have been too many summers when we've yet to make a transfer breakthrough by the second week of July.

I wouldn't freak out just yet, we're obviously working on deals. The Euros push everything later as well.

I feel it's the right time to get rid of the last of the dead wood at the club. Sign two or three (depending on who leaves) top quality players and start using some of the younger players in our squad as back up. The likes of Vuckic, Abeid, Sammy, Amalfitano etc should play a stronger role next year, behind better players.

We are a squad improving all of the time and if we are to maintain the position of last year (which won't be easy), players like Simpson clearly aren't up to it. We could keep him as a back up but we don't really have that luxury, we need the transfer fee return in order to strengthen the squad.

If we sign Debuchy, selling Simpson is a no-brainer, especially with Tavernier as back up.

I wouldn't freak out just yet, we're obviously working on deals. The Euros push everything later as well.

Agreed, if we weren't linked with anybody I'd be concerned but as it is, we've had several offers knocked back for descent players.

This is the stuff of transfer windows.

Hopefully we'll get some of these signing done in the next week or two.

Still think we're another window or two from having the squad blend we're looking for.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/articles/2012/07/12/60937-reading-fc-on-verge-of-double-signing/

READING FC manager Brian McDermott is confident of making two more signings within the next week.

Royals completed their fourth and fifth free transfers of the summer this week by re-signing former full-back Nicky Shorey and nabbing Irish teenager Pierce Sweeney from under Everton's noses.

The pair arrive at an exciting time for the club following the earlier capture of Pavel Pogrebnyak, Danny Guthrie and Garath McCleary.

But boss McDermott told the Chronicle he is close to completing two more deals that will bring another couple of fresh faces to Madejski Stadium.

The Chronicle understands those players are Newcastle United's Danny Simpson and Watford's Adrian Mariappa.

And Reading will attempt to tie up the transfers before they go to Portugal on pre-season tour next Wednesday.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/articles/2012/07/12/60937-reading-fc-on-verge-of-double-signing/

READING FC manager Brian McDermott is confident of making two more signings within the next week.

Royals completed their fourth and fifth free transfers of the summer this week by re-signing former full-back Nicky Shorey and nabbing Irish teenager Pierce Sweeney from under Everton's noses.

The pair arrive at an exciting time for the club following the earlier capture of Pavel Pogrebnyak, Danny Guthrie and Garath McCleary.

But boss McDermott told the Chronicle he is close to completing two more deals that will bring another couple of fresh faces to Madejski Stadium.

The Chronicle understands those players are Newcastle United's Danny Simpson and Watford's Adrian Mariappa.

And Reading will attempt to tie up the transfers before they go to Portugal on pre-season tour next Wednesday.

glad to see they're subject to a similar line of drivel!