Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nice to know that they all think Leeds is a bigger club then us, and the guy who posted that about Nicky Butt going the other way is wrong, no word of it up here untill we saw his post on that website. Good to know that he has a bit of wishful thinking though.

Was reading a thread on one of their forums earlier and one of the chumps said that we had no history and have only had a big stadium for the last 15 years :lol:  Fucking clueless.

LATE DEVELOPER

05/01/10

Not the least significant aspect of Jermaine Beckford’s splendid winning goal and consequent adulation at Old Trafford was the fact that he is such a late developer.

As one who has long deplored the greedy, selfish tendency of clubs both here and abroad to snap up footballers when they are mere boys, sometimes as young as nine and ten years old, it is immensely pleasing to see a player like Beckford break through after early disappointments: such as being rejected by Chelsea, when playing for his local youth club in West London, Walpole Wanders.

Now just 26-years-old, he was playing for Wealdstone, once an amateur club of some status but now semi-professional, when as late as 2006, he played impressively for Crystal Palace reserves against Arsenal reserves, and at last was bought by Leeds for a mere £45,000.

Today he is plainly worth millions and alas for Leeds it seems unlikely they can keep him. Yet his story should surely be an inspiration to young, aspiring footballers who find themselves initially turned down by professional clubs. They, too, could, should they persist, find there could always be a second chance.

One thinks of such players in the past as Cyrille Regis, working as an electrician on a building site, who found himself well into his twenties scoring goals as a powerful centre forward in the top division for West Bromwich Albion.

Now Simon Grayson, Leeds’ impressive young manager, seems inured to losing Beckford one way or another. In the current transfer window, or at the end of the season when he is out of contract. This would be a great pity since it’s plain that the present Leeds side has high potential; is probably handicapped when playing the lower league, where life is hectic and highly physical.

Good Article from Glanville. If he rates him that means he is a very good player. Glanville knows  Football like no other Journo...

http://www.worldsoccer.com/glanville/

At Old Trafford, they clearly showed that they are perfectly capable of matching, at the very least, a Premiership club: even one with the prestige of Manchester United. Beckford has pace, skill and courage. Should he stay with Leeds, who would be seriously diminished by his leaving, they would surely cruise into the Championship at the end of the season and have a very good chance indeed of promotion to the Premier League the season after. But you could well understand why Beckford, after such long early frustration, would prefer to seize the day.

Skill and courage. :lol:

Glanville's seen him play once then, pathetic. :rolleyes:

Do you always have to disagree/deliberately controversial?

I don't think I've ever seen you agree with the majority.

His goal at Man U was a combo of three things: bad defending, bad goalkeeping, and tons of luck.  Hardly a game changer when it comes to his level of skill.

plus good finishing

And movement and pace.

Skill and courage. :lol:

Glanville's seen him play once then, pathetic. :rolleyes:

Do you always have to disagree/deliberately controversial?

I don't think I've ever seen you agree with the majority.

Probably the angriest person on the forum :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

General consensus from my Leeds fans friends is that Beckford is great, but he knows he is and he's lazy. His movement and positioning is generally spot on and he's a clinical finisher. A few think Newcastle would be the worst playground for him.

If we get him, we are looking good up front. He has the quality to get a few goals for us this season but the jury will be out next season until he gets a fair few goals in the PL.

It looks like Butt is calling time on his career at the end of the season and I still think Geremi will go this window. We still need several quality players in the summer including a couple of full backs, a creative midfielder, a right winger and possibly another central defender.

By the way, I really like the looks of Kadar. I think he is definitely a quality youngster for the future.