Portsmouth FC in yet more trouble - administration again?

GG

Guest sittingontheball

I find David James's stance on this whole situation to be a bit f***ing nauseating, to be honest.

It's hard to take him seriously when he pontificates on the situation, given the fact he's happily taken his 80k a week over the whole period.

I get similarly f***ed off when i read his Observer column, where he speaks at length of how he drives some energy efficient Euro bubble car, as if he doesn't also have a range of supercars to use when he's doing something other than posing for the press.

And for all his hand-wringing and "we feel your pain" and "we want the kitman there so he can unblock the bogs" s**** over the redundancies at Portsmouth, he's still there kerchinging it all the way to the bank with a weekly salary which would pay 5 or 6 of them for a year.

Got to agree with all of that. The "FA Cup win started our troubles" line is total bollocks. Their wage bill was unsustainable long before then. James, Sol Campbell, Distin, .... were all there for one reason only. The other one as we all know is that once a player is an higher wages, it makes it much harder to get rid of them. Especially older ones like, err, David James.

I still don't understand why they were only docked nine points. Leeds got a much stiffer penalty.

Makes one wonder about the whole "under-strength" teams argument too - is bullet payments (when in administration) a legitimate reason for not playing your best team? "Five or six players" puts it more in the Fulham controversy rather than the Wolves debacle, but it sounds like something Gold and Sullivan might bleat about...?

Excellent point.

Really hope they get the Europa League spot. It'll be sad if it goes to 7th place in the league and that could well be Liverpool. No doubt , it will go to Liverpool.

They won't get into Europe as they went into administration - they're trying to get it over turned though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8558580.stm

Yeh that's what i meant , i hope they get the decision overturned.

In that article it says that the runners up gain a place in Europe if the winners ahve already gained a place via the league, so really no matter what Portsmouth should be given a Europien place. To me I think that if they were (which they have) allowed to go as far as the final then they should be allowed the rewards for doing so, thats financial and Europien rewards. You can't say that can go on in the competition despite their position and then say they can't take the rewards for doing so. So if the rules say that Portsmouth are entitled to gain a place in Europe, then let them in, it could very well be what saves the club.

Making Europe will keep them in business IMO.

If the FA really want them to stop going out of existence they should allow Pompey to have the Europa league place, or if it isn't their decision then do everything they can to make sure UEFA do.

I have no particular affiliation to Pompey, but I'd rather they weren't crushed simply because their fanbase absolutely love that club and if it was us, it'd kill me to see us go out of business.

If the FA really want them to stop going out of existence they should allow Pompey to have the Europa league place, or if it isn't their decision then do everything they can to make sure UEFA do.

I have no particular affiliation to Pompey, but I'd rather they weren't crushed simply because their fanbase absolutely love that club and if it was us, it'd kill me to see us go out of business.

Agree with this but if i was a fan of someone like Everton I'd be fuming if it got overturned.

Guest toonlass

It would be horrible if Portsmouth were denied a European place that they earned through merit. I still feel sorry for their fans (but not the bell ringing twat).

I don't. :shifty:

What if Liverpool got it and Everton just missed out :shifty:

If Liverpool miss out UEFA will probably start a new competition especially for them to play in. Do the winners of the Waffa Cup get back in anyone know?

Agree with this but if i was a fan of someone like Everton I'd be fuming if it got overturned.

They shouldn't be really because if it wasn't Portsmouth there, the place in the league wouldn't even be there.

Give Portsmouth what they've earned.

Isn't the issue that to play in European competitions, a club must apply for a "European licence", which Pompey have not done. Therefore to suggest that they're not being allowed into the Europa League is incorrect - the club chose not to enter...

EDIT: That said, the club are supposedly moving to apply retrospectively...

Yeah basically what Raconteur said, they couldn't apply for a European license because they weren't in a position to submit their accounts, which is a requirement of the entry process. Having said that, surely these accounts are submitted for a reason and by the sounds of it there is nothing right at all with them, so maybe they'll get their license rejected anyway.

Give Portsmouth what they've earned.

Earned with a squad they can't pay for or sustain? Unfair advantage, is it not?

So what? It doesn't matter that they're in administration, it doesn't matter they've been relegated, it doesn't matter that they have a squad they can't pay or sustain.

They won in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and Semi Final of the FA Cup and like everyone else who has done that in the past with the other finalists already in Europe, they deserve the European place.

If it had anything to do with paying squad troubles or administration, they might as well not give it to the cup winners. They should just give it to the most financially stable club in England every year.

Really just comes down to what the rules say.  If there's a rule that says a club can't get into Europe if they're in financial meltdown (administration) then they shouldn't get in.  They deserve the chance to win the cup, but they don't deserve to be in Europe unless they meet the criteria for entry.

Really just comes down to what the rules say.  If there's a rule that says a club can't get into Europe if they're in financial meltdown (administration) then they shouldn't get in.  They deserve the chance to win the cup, but they don't deserve to be in Europe unless they meet the criteria for entry.

Agree. But then for next season, the rules needs to be looked at, a team who has earned a European place should get it.