Shearer as Bolton Manager?

Elric

Guest Kenton Magpie

The bloke needs a proper chance, not like when he was thrown in at the deep end with 8 games to go! Would be canny to see him ply his trade as a manager with someone other than Newcastle!

It took Keegan 10 games to get us a win. Including being thrashed 4-1 by Villa & 5-0 By Man united. We also didnt lose to a side outside the top 7 under him either & played our best football in a long time. Shearer did it in 6.

5 out of his 8 games we played teams in the top 8. We had a point stolen against Fulham with the disallowed goal, along with Bassong being sent off. We've then only lost to a Villa side needing a win to get 5th in the table due to a deflected goal. You cant expect a side who are all very low on confidence/belief after a crap season to turn it around instantaneously.

Anyone judging Shearers managerial ability to be poor on the back of that is nuts.

But all in all I still think that Shearer was "too hard" to the players. They could virtually do what they wanted under Hughton before Big Al came in and then from one day to the other they had something like "rules". Of course Shearer was/is absolutely 100% right with this, but I don't think it was the right thing to do in a relegation battle.

I think Shearer's big mistake was to beat the Geordie patriotic drum - eg the Blaydon Races before the Portsmouth game. He should have been trying to reduce the pressure on the players and get them focused on their jobs. Instead he was reminding them of how much rested on their efforts and that had the opposite effect.

A record of 1-2-5 and failing to score in 6 of the 8 tells its own story. It wouldn't have taken a lot to keep us up, with Hull in free fall, but he couldn't do it.

I think Shearer's big mistake was to beat the Geordie patriotic drum - eg the Blaydon Races before the Portsmouth game. He should have been trying to reduce the pressure on the players and get them focused on their jobs. Instead he was reminding them of how much rested on their efforts and that had the opposite effect.

A record of 1-2-5 and failing to score in 6 of the 8 tells its own story. It wouldn't have taken a lot to keep us up, with Hull in free fall, but he couldn't do it.

Getting points against top 8 sides is quite a lot for a team in relegation form for the majority of the season.

Portsmouth & stoke are the only games you could hope for more from. His 2nd & 4th match in charge.

His biggest mistake was taking on a very poor side with 8 games left. Even then we were relegated because of a dissallowed goal & a deflection, things outside of his control by far. He had done enough to keep us up.

Are these Shearer haters the ones that were content and too eager to stick the knife into Keegan before the truth came out as well?

To blame Shearer for our relegation last year is unfair and madness. You cannot flog a dead horse, which is what he was having to do. As for Bolton - it may be a good opportunity for him, but I'm not sure he'd want to become embroiled in another relegation scrap so soon.

Biggest criticism for me of Shearer's 8 games in charge is that he was all too happy to drop Jonas pretty quickly, whilst persisting with the horrific Butt/Nolan partnership in central midfield and the utterly useless Duff on the other flank. Even the replacement, Guthrie, provided nothing to the team on the flank.

Just seemed an inexplicable decision to me. The guy who adds something to the team gets dropped because of his flaws in the final third of the pitch, whilst others who not only provided nothing in the final third but were also walking around misplacing the most basic of passes or hiding during the game were allowed to continue. It's a decision you'd expect from a Souness rather than a Sir Bobby.

To be fair to Shearer, he atleast tried to shake things up - having gone through the whole season with a 4-4-2 that simply didn't work. He tried out a 3-5-2, aye it wasn't particularly effective but it was blatantly obvious things needed changing around. Also went 4-3-3 for a couple of games at home, akin to the Keegan strategy that worked so well. Unfortunately the majority of players who made that formation work were either unfit or had given up.

I think it's harsh to judge anybody on 8 games, Shearer may well still go on to make a very good manager yet. However you can't just gloss over the fact that he got some key decisions wrong. Dowie as assistant was possibly a bad choice, someone with a bit more experience might have made more sense. Also he seemed to like the spotlight on himself rather than the players, he had none of the motivational magic or loyalty that Keegan could generate for example. His players clearly couldn't be arsed for him.

I am not a Shearer hater at all. I quite like the bloke for the loyalty he has shown to the club over the years. I just dont think he will make a particularly good manager and I certainly am 100% against him taking over permanently at SJP because we need a seasoned and experienced professional to stabilise the club over a reasonable period. Shearer is just too much of a risk.

I am not a Shearer hater at all. I quite like the bloke for the loyalty he has shown to the club over the years. I just dont think he will make a particularly good manager and I certainly am 100% against him taking over permanently at SJP because we need a seasoned and experienced professional to stabilise the club over a reasonable period. Shearer is just too much of a risk.

I would have more faith in Shearer than Hughton.

Not saying much, like.

Not saying much, like.

I'm sure Mick can expand on it?

Maybe so, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

However, how anyone on here can continue to criticise Chris Hughton or his abilities is well beyond me and just goes to show a complete lack of understanding in coaching/managing a football team.

The times when he was caretaker manager in the PL were probably at the lowest points of this great club of ours. I doubt many would have shown any degree of success during those periods.

However, for what the man has done this season under extremely difficult circumstances and with a wonderful calm image that he has portrayed throughout, anyone criticising him really needs a wake up call.

Or maybe you would like Joe Kinnear back?

However, how anyone on here can continue to criticise Chris Hughton or his abilities is well beyond me and just goes to show a complete lack of understanding in coaching/managing a football team.

The times when he was caretaker manager in the PL were probably at the lowest points of this great club of ours. I doubt many would have shown any degree of success during those periods.

However, for what the man has done this season under extremely difficult circumstances and with a wonderful calm image that he has portrayed throughout, anyone criticising him really needs a wake up call.

With the players we have, we should be top of the league.  I would say he has done what should be expected of him to be honest.

Shearer managed us under the same circumstances and has slightly better results. 

As for Hughton this season, what has he done that stands out?  He hasn't done anything which I can think of which has made me think he’s done anything special.  We’ve been terrible for more games than not and he seems to be incapable of either recognising that or doing anything about it. 

The players can rarely put in 90 minutes and we’ve got players who while being shit for the Premiership are more than good enough for this league.  I could be wrong but we look as if we're not fit and that reminds me of when Shearer first came in and was criticising our fitness and discipline, or lack of it.  Hughton is only here because he’s a yes man and he’ll end up going because of that.  I doubt very much that he’ll still be our manager this time next year as he hasn’t got the balls to make tough decisions and he’ll do whatever he’s told. 

We can score goals and keep clean sheets but we’ve got a terribly static midfield yet Hughton has prioritised strengthening our defence and forward line, it doesn’t look as if the midfield is even on his radar.  That’s probably because the midfield is where we have our most experienced players.  I don’t think he’s got it in him to stand up to them and upset them; he’ll avoid making tough decisions.