Proposed European Super League

madras

1 hour ago, OverThere said:

What's the point of replacing the champions league with another version of the same?

From the viewpoint of Barca, Real etc (plus, let's be honest here, if it wasn't for the fans backlash, the English clubs too) it'd be like a Champions League where they are pretty much guaranteed to be a part of even if they have a shit season domestically. 

34 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

From the viewpoint of Barca, Real etc (plus, let's be honest here, if it wasn't for the fans backlash, the English clubs too) it'd be like a Champions League where they are pretty much guaranteed to be a part of even if they have a shit season domestically. 

That's exactly it, they have a sense of entitlement, they think it's disgraceful if they struggle in a domestic season that they get to miss out on the Champions League 

It all boils down to wanting as much money as possible and for it to be guaranteed 

The initial idea was awful, they clearly didn't anticipate the backlash, and without the Premier League clubs it had next to no chance of getting anywhere 

The biggest call out was the removal of jeopardy and lack of meritocracy, so this time they think having 2 relegation spots from 16 is some sort of solution, all they did was present the same pig from 2 years ago and only put lipstick on it 

It's still a bit shit but UEFA is the better of two evils 

There's still the dream that you can go from non-league to play in the Champions League. There's still that jeopardy that an "elite" club could miss out on the CL (even if it's slim). I'd sooner the masses work with UEFA to tweak their competitions than see a breakaway.

I get the feeling the middle east would be all over it, wouldn't surprise me one bit if some change to become a world super league was thought up next, the rumours mill not so long ago was the Saudis were desperate to get some of their league clubs in the champions league.

The Aramco world super league.

54 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I get the feeling the middle east would be all over it, wouldn't surprise me one bit if some change to become a world super league was thought up next, the rumours mill not so long ago was the Saudis were desperate to get some of their league clubs in the champions league.

The Aramco world super league.

The Qataris at PSG were vocally against it from day one.  Man City’s Abu Dhabi owners were completely lukewarm and the first to pull out.  UEFA are a FIFA Confed, and KSA is after the 2034 WC.  It would be the stupidest move imaginable. 

’Sportswashing’ doesn’t work at all if it pisses off the people and govts of the places were you’re buying clubs.  The govts of the ME who are buying football clubs aren’t doing it to run afoul of UK govt opinion - which they would with this nonsense.

It’s the American hedge fund cunts and those running European giants who can’t keep up with the PL who are the biggest backers of this.  

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I’m no lawyer (do we have any legal bods on here that can chime in) but doesn’t this judgement basically kill FFP as well under the same anti competition rules?

It potentially does for UEFA comps and EU member states.  The UK isn’t subject to the ruling. 

edit: it doesn’t affect the PL’s FFP rules

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

It potentially does for UEFA comps and EU member states.  The UK isn’t subject to the ruling. 

That’s true but we have our own competition rules on the books as well. I hate FFP but it would be blowing the rules up would well and truly open Pandora’s box. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

That’s true but we have our own competition rules on the books as well. I hate FFP but it would be blowing the rules up would well and truly open Pandora’s box. 

We do, but the UK govt immediately came out talking about amending them so the UK football are protected from a potential cash grab breakaway.

edit: I agree re FFP and the danger of a free-for-all

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

We do, but the UK govt immediately came out talking about amending them so the UK football are protected from a potential cash grab breakaway.

Oh yeah for sure, I’m more thinking about FFP implications than I am breakaways. I think a split is basically a death kneel for the sport. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Oh yeah for sure, I’m more thinking about FFP implications than I am breakaways. I think a split is basically a death kneel for the sport. 

Yeah, understood and agreed.  FFP isn’t wrong in principle for me - the way it’s been implemented is designed to pull the ladder up.

I don’t want to see rich owners come in and destroy the transfer market like Chelsea and Man City did - but at the same time, the current rules simply keep those clubs at the top table.  There is a balance to be found somewhere. 

I don't believe the reason for the super league judgement makes any affect for FFP as your still bound by the rules you sign up for being in their leagues etc. 

This super league ruling was about whether these clubs had the access to move or setup a new competition or leave uefa entirely.

Edited by El Prontonise

3 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

I don't believe the reason for the super league judgement makes any affect for FFP as your still bound by the rules you sign up for being in their leagues etc. 

This super league ruling was about whether these clubs had the access to move or setup a new competition or leave uefa entirely.

It was about whether UEFA had breached commercial law by stopping or threatening to punish the clubs breaking away - and it was ruled that they had; which is why FFP is likely on the same potential chopping block

24 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It was about whether UEFA had breached commercial law by stopping or threatening to punish the clubs breaking away - and it was ruled that they had; which is why FFP is likely on the same potential chopping block

I'm not sure tbh but we'll see.

Edited by El Prontonise

35 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

I'm not sure tbh but we'll see.

I agree that the ruling isn’t on FFP, and there’s no guarantee on it being thrown out - besides, it would need to be challenged in the first instance.  But the UEFA ruling was on a breach of commercial law - so it does potentially provide case law showing that UEFA could well be breaching commercial law 

I'm getting to the point where I wish there were only domestic leagues and nothing else. The whole FFP issue means as we have seen you can't be competitive in Europe and at home at the same time unless you are one of the clubs that increased revenue prior to the FFP rules. Sack the whole thing off and be done with it.

15 minutes ago, OverThere said:

I'm getting to the point where I wish there were only domestic leagues and nothing else. The whole FFP issue means as we have seen you can't be competitive in Europe and at home at the same time unless you are one of the clubs that increased revenue prior to the FFP rules. Sack the whole thing off and be done with it.

The issues are that governing bodies, PL, FA,UEFA, and FIFA by introducing FFP and the PL introducing FMV are interfering in a clubs commercial activities and that is a breach of Competition Law. The sooner that it is sorted out legally or governing bodies scrapping FFP and FMV the better.

• 1 month later...

That Feyenoord one basically translates to them being surprised by reports in international media that the club has agreed to participate in the so-called Super League. Total nonsense.

Going well again I see [emoji38]

Edited by Miggys First Goal

Perez and Laporta are so far up their own arse to realise it isn't going to happen the way they want it to

Maybe if they weren't so greedy and shared the wealth they'd have a better league and therefore generate more money that way 

The new recruits to the proposed league are barely better than the league they're already in. Certainly not sufficiently better to justify ripping up the fabric.

Playing would be also rans like Anderlecht, PSV and Brugge is not better than them playing Bilbao, Espanyol and Valencia.

Edited by Jonas