Proposed European Super League

madras

9 hours ago, Joelinton7 said:

It’s gone from the likes of City, Real and PSG to Sporting, Anderlecht and Brugges [emoji38]

Give it 2 more weeks before Laporta is announcing the Mackems and the Portland Timbers.

Edited by Pandamninator

3 hours ago, Heron said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but if they made the Champions League and other European cups a more level playing field then all the European leagues would collectively improve over time and competitivity and quality would improve across those leagues where its subsiding.

I appreciate it helps us and helps the English league, but never really been a fan of the too 4 or 5 from the PL going into the CL. Even using us as an example, last season we won fuck all so by definition we aren't champions.

I understand awards should be won on merit, but us finishing 4th isn't the same as Bruges or PSV or Stauea Bucharest winning their respective leagues.

If the money went back to those teams, they obviously improve and perhaps there'd be a bigger gulf domestically but surely that gives local folk the desire to invest in local sides in an attempt to hit those heavy heights for both sporting and financial reasons.

The European Super League is a short termist load of shite that won't work. It'll seem a good idea for 3 months and everyone will bin it off. Another situation where greed is proceeding the match going fans.

Reform of some description is required to undermine the dominance of a few English and Spanish teams. I think it needs to come from the domestic game itself though, rather than a rehash of the European competitions; that's what Italy did in the 80s/early 90s and what the Premier League did thereafter. They made their leagues the most desirable and interesting to consumers.

Said it for ages now but the best thing a lot of the European leagues could do is regionalise their domestic leagues to increase interest and revenue. Could I give a shit if Malmo won the Swedish league again? No. But chuck Brondby, Copenhagen, Keflavik and BodoGlimt in with them... that's a lot more interesting. 

(A Swedish person is going to tell me that Malmo haven't won it for donkeys years, aren't they... :lol:)

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Reform of some description is required to undermine the dominance of a few English and Spanish teams. I think it needs to come from the domestic game itself though, rather than a rehash of the European competitions; that's what Italy did in the 80s/early 90s and what the Premier League did thereafter. They made their leagues the most desirable and interesting to consumers.

Said it for ages now but the best thing a lot of the European leagues could do is regionalise their domestic leagues to increase interest and revenue. Could I give a shit if Malmo won the Swedish league again? No. But chuck Brondby, Copenhagen, Keflavik and BodoGlimt in with them... that's a lot more interesting. 

(A Swedish person is going to tell me that Malmo haven't won it for donkeys years, aren't they... :lol:)

Vann senast ligamästerskapet 2021

Edited by Jinky
typo

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

There was a report a few years back that the Dutch and Belgium leagues where going to something similar:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11906/12248000/eredivisie-belgian-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-cross-border-league-with-teams-from-the-netherlands

Just now, 54 said:

There was a report a few years back that the Dutch and Belgium leagues where going to something similar:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11906/12248000/eredivisie-belgian-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-cross-border-league-with-teams-from-the-netherlands

They should do; I wonder how compatible the Luxembourg teams would be also (in terms of their standards). 

If Benelux demonstrated that it was worth doing then you might see other regions following.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

They proposed a North Atlantic league a little while ago.

Fuck knows how Rangers away game to Brondby would work, but fucking hell the North Shields DFDS ferry would have been fun with Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, and Brugge all coming across every weekend.

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Tbf some of these were mega clubs before money took over the big 4-5 leagues. 

In a sense. But largely due to regularly winning their own uncompetitive leagues thus competing in Europe every year. Their normal gates were around 15,000 however. 

11 hours ago, Stifler said:

They proposed a North Atlantic league a little while ago.

Fuck knows how Rangers away game to Brondby would work, but fucking hell the North Shields DFDS ferry would have been fun with Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, and Brugge all coming across every weekend.

Rugby Union was able to navigate the logistics of a South Africa-Australia-New Zealand league for 25 years... i'm sure they can handle Glasgow to Denmark.

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

Didn't Toronto have a rugby team in the Super League before COVID? Turns out it's actually not that difficult to fly 20 odd blokes and their sports equipment across the globe.

Not even just the Super League - the Wolfpack spent three years working their way through the third and second tier.

12 hours ago, Yorkie said:

But we give a shit who wins our domestic league. I hate a bit of Malmö and IFK Göteborg, but I couldn't care less about Bodö Glimt. Leave our leagues with over 100 years of history well alone, please.

Also, I would say the Scandinavian leagues are doing really well at the moment. Of course we cant compete with the bigger European leagues, but plenty of teams are posting record season tickets sold for 2024. Even my team AIK (wor Isaks first club) who had an absolutely shocking season last year is selling more Season Tickets than ever.

28 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Also, I would say the Scandinavian leagues are doing really well at the moment. Of course we cant compete with the bigger European leagues, but plenty of teams are posting record season tickets sold for 2024. Even my team AIK (wor Isaks first club) who had an absolutely shocking season last year is selling more Season Tickets than ever.

You lot are shitting our talent like nobody business these days. 

52 minutes ago, Nobody said:

But we give a shit who wins our domestic league. I hate a bit of Malmö and IFK Göteborg, but I couldn't care less about Bodö Glimt. Leave our leagues with over 100 years of history well alone, please.

41 minutes ago, Nobody said:

All fair enough, and sorry for being disrespectful; I was speaking very flippantly and perhaps Sweden was a poor example, particularly if their gates are on the up - that's a great thing. I do stand by the general point however that increasing interest and revenues in the national league systems is the best route to increasing levels of competition in a European context. Regionalising is just one idea. 

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

From what I’ve read Sweden looks ideal for a smaller Euro league that knows its limits so makes it as enjoyable as possible to go to games. Would love to go to a game there. 

Likewise Norway and going to watch Brann was class aside from not being able to have a pint but you Nordics are strict about that. 

12 hours ago, Yorkie said:

They should do; I wonder how compatible the Luxembourg teams would be also (in terms of their standards). 

If Benelux demonstrated that it was worth doing then you might see other regions following.

Miles back. Belgium is too behind the Dutch. It’ll probably happen eventually but I’m not a fan.

15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Kind of tried that, at a smaller CL-like scale. Didn't work. Nobody gave a shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_League

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, wormy said:

Useless tossers can't even pick a name without causing trouble. 

Perez and Laporta deservedly in the mud like the absolute fucking pigs they are.