Proposed European Super League

madras

2 minutes ago, kocunar said:

Domestic performance being (basically) the only way to qualify, combined with FFP, is exactly the issue with UEFA competitions.

This might be the stupidest thing ever posted on here, fair play if trolling.

Just now, TRC said:

Go with the money.

We get loads of money in the premier league, the problem we have is the FFP rules which seem to favour the established top 6 clubs.  They are strangling our commerical revenue. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

14 games minimum. Okay. :lol:

so just thinking this out.... if we joined we'd get kicked out of all other leagues/comps that we're currently in so NUFC would be playing 14 games a season and that's it?  Imagine the price and clamour for tickets then!  Jeez!! :suicide:

Just now, ScottishMagpie said:

so just thinking this out.... if we joined we'd get kicked out of all other leagues/comps that we're currently in so NUFC would be playing 14 games a season and that's it?  Imagine the price and clamour for tickets then!  Jeez!! :suicide:

Yep :) - which is one of the factors which ultimately scared off the six English clubs.  They gambled on the PL’s arse dropping - when it didn’t because of public outcry, they all collectively backed off (apparently Chelsea and Man City weren’t arsed in the first place).  The offer was based upon getting more money than UEFA competitions - it didn’t replace UEFA + PL money.

Same still applies.

Just seen that Barcelona and Real are still gagging for it.

Fiorentino Perez is a right weapon.  I love that he never seems to get that everyone else can see this is just those two clubs trying to do what they’ve already done to La Liga - and that we should all be happy and supportive of that.  Why shouldn’t Real get all of the money for everything?

I wouldnt be against sacking off Uefa and Fifa to control football and have all their people of fat salaries doing not much but issue with new Super League is created by greed of a few top clubs who are already richer than most.

there will be guarantees to the likes of Pool, Man Untied, Real, Barca to be in Super League despite if they are shit.

for example Girona is leading La Liga, lets assume they win it front of much stronger clubs. currently they would be able to join CL based on merit even tho they would face same Pot4 as we did due to lack of past hostory in CL/EL.

but in this new super league format they would not be playing the top of the super league they would play the Conference League equivalent of it despite winning the La Liga while ones behind them would be playing the Gold League just because.

this would be a case of Newcastle winning the league and join EL while Man United finishing 4th joining CL kind of. and then if we do well in EL we can promote up to CL in a few years time.

current format is a bit more fair even tho its not fully fair at all. let alone how the FFP rules in place trying to keep closed shop for top teams on already high revenues to stay on higher revenues while the rest can fuck off building higher revenues.

7 minutes ago, NG32 said:

We get loads of money in the premier league, the problem we have is the FFP rules which seem to favour the established top 6 clubs.  They are strangling our commerical revenue. 

Absolutely, the PL FFP and FMV rules are interfering in our and other clubs economic activity and that is anti competitive which was one of the strands of the CJEU ruling today. On 5Live NDM indicated that our competition laws broadly align with competition law in the EU. Why no club challenges this is beyond me, unless there’s a case being prepared by a club, hopefully us.

There was always too much money to be made for this to go away, and I’ve always been convinced that Chelsea’s valuation was based on them being a future ESL member. I’m not necessarily opposed to a European super league, but it has to be meritocratic, which I expect defeats the objective for the clubs pushing it. They want a closed NFL style gravy train. If we joined such a league, I’m not sure I could watch it.

Edited by Kimbo

Just now, NG32 said:

They simply cant be in a closed NFL style league and play in domestic football and its cup competitions. 

One of the other, make your choice, you cant be on two gravy trains. 

Luckily, it's not closed

44 minutes ago, NG32 said:

They've complained FIFA and UEFA have stifled competition and then created a "closed" league strangling competition?!?! [emoji38]

Someone on here posted the champions league money so far and the big teams got treble what we did ffs 🤣

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The PL was more than that - it was a breakaway league which was created simply so that the big boys wouldn’t spit their dummies out completely - they hated sharing their money with the rest of the football pyramid.  You’re right, it’s not a closed shop.  Same goes for the ‘Champions League’ - it’s fundamentally different from the old European Cup for the same reasons.  Money knackered football decades ago. 

Eh, in the 1980s there genuinely wasn’t much money coming in to be shared, especially when split 92 ways. The game was in a bad place. I can at least understand how the Premier League came to be.

This is a whole other level of greed based on the money pouring into the game.